Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New 38r Turbo Up-pipes, and wastegate controller

8K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  02oilburner 
#1 ·
I just got my truck back after having the new 38r turbo bellowed up-pipes and turbomaster wastegate controller installed.I thought this new set up would clean up the black smoke and give me some additional boost. The truck seems to make alot more smoke on 80 hp tune than the stock turbo did. It also does not seem to spool up at low rpms like the stock turbo did. It seems to come alive at 1600 or above. I make around 25 psi at WOT even after adjusting the wastegate controller. Any thought or suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You pressure-test the system to look for boost leaks yet? EGTs?

#4 ·
I need to build a boost tester and see. I went out awhile ago and blew the driver side intercooler boot off.:( its dark now so Im going to wait till morning and clean it and hairspray it.

#3 ·
:whs:

I would also start the truck up and feel for an exhaust leak around the back of the turbo where the collector is clamped....there is dowel in the collector that needs to line up to the turbo..if its not,.it will leak and not spool the turbo like it should...

#5 ·
How hard would this be to fix if this was the problem? This new setup should clean up the smoke not make more correct?

#6 ·
it should clean up alot of the smoke and lower your EGT's..clean the boot really good as well as where the boot goes..then spray the inside of the boot with some hair spray and clamp it down good..the hair spray will act like a glue to help hold the boot on..

it can be a pain in the azz...if you feel exhause blowing around the back of the turbo..you will need to take that clamp off of the collector and loosen the bolts for the pipes so you can move the collector around untill the dowl falls into place..the dowl is at 12 o clock on the collector...when it does fall into place, stuff a bunch of rags between the collector and the fire wall to help hold it in place when you put the clamp back on..some people use a bungy cord..some use an extra pair of hands from the under side..if you paid some one to do this job and it it leaks.. i would make him do it again..

#7 ·
Thanks I will do this and see if it fixes it. If I find the leak at the up-pipes or the turbo it will be going back to the shop!

#8 ·
OMG!! Every boot I checked I tightened at least 3-5 full turns with ratchet! Im surprised a was making any boost at all!! Im going for a test run and going to feel for any leak behind turbo. Keep your fingers crossed! Ill update in a few.

#9 ·
Make sure u check the little orange boots on the intake plenums too, if eveything else was that loose...

DONT overtighten the clamps on the actual plenums tho.... they get damaged easily ...BTDT

#10 ·
Ok, I went out and drove the truck. I still think my truck smokes more than it used to.I cant really feel any air from behind to turbo but then again I cant really reach back there. Im going to attach some pics of clamp on plenums and turbo and a video of the truck from 0-70 with boost and pyro gauge. Im not sure these clamps are supposed to be used on boots or turbo. the plenums just strip when I went to tightened.
Here are pyro reading from level hyway speeds:

80hp econo tune @70 mph 675-700 degrees @ 2-3lbs of boost
80hp econo tune @55mph 600-625 degrees @ 2lbs of boost
100hp perf tune @70 mph 800 degrees @ 3-4lbs of boost
100hp perf tune @55 mph 700 degrees @ 2lbs of boost
stock turbo made 4-5 lbs of boost at hwy speeds

Video is to large i might have to post a link to it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU8vBjKMpqQ&feature=youtu.be

I can only make 27 psi at WOT and others claim 35 psi easily!?! WTF???

Attachments

#11 ·
I make about the same boost numbers you do with the mods in my sig. I get 25-27 psi at WOT with my daily driver tune. I can get to 30+ with race tune. My wastegate is off. Turbo does not sound pretty in race tune at WOT at the higher boost levels. I make a lot of smoke in race tune, not so much in daily driver.

I installed bellowed up pipes with my 38r. I use the 1.0 housing. So what I'm saying is, my tune affects the psi I can get.

#12 ·
ITs not just about pressure, have to take volume into consideration. Two turbos can make the same boost numbers but one can move more air than the other. A 1 foot pipe at the same pressure as a 1 inche will move a whole lot more water, but at the same pressure.

Dan

#13 ·
Tie the wastegate shut and test drive it. I kept mine disconnected and the turbo was much more responsive. With stage 1 injectors you may not even need the wastegate. See what your boost does without it.

#14 ·
Turbo does not spool up really until after 1500 rmps. It runs like a slug until you really get on the throttle. I was towing for work today in my tow tune with a small 12 foot enclosed trailer (2500-3000lbs) and was hitting 1200 degrees @ 70 mph! What if I had my Bobcat and dual axle trailer??? I would be only going 45mph!! I live in Raleigh NC and it is not real hilly here either! Something is not right!

Oh and should I hit 1600 degrees at 25 psi on a 0-70 mph run on level ground??? That seems way way to high!

#15 ·
the plenums just strip when I went to tightened.
Thats not good.

Did you actually use a leak detector or just tighten boots?
The clamps on the plenum boots look like the right ones...they use those cheapo hose clamps there because the plenums damage so easily if overtightened.
And my bad.... I think orange plenum boots is an old school thing or something...my 250 doesnt have em either...

I put a big "fold" in my plenum on my old 550 a long time ago. It created a HUGE boost leak. You couldnt see the damage with the boot on either. That one company your not supposed to talk about sells plenum inserts. I have a set Ill be using when I swap turbos here soon. You can also use better clamps with the inserts.

#16 ·
Thats not good.

Did you actually use a leak detector or just tighten boots?
The clamps on the plenum boots look like the right ones...they use those cheapo hose clamps there because the plenums damage so easily if overtightened.

I put a big "fold" in my plenum on my old 550 a long time ago. It created a HUGE boost leak. You couldnt see the damage with the boot on either. That one company your not supposed to talk about sells plenum inserts. I have a set Ill be using when I swap turbos here soon. You can also use better clamps with the inserts.

I just tightened boots so far. I need to make that boost detector today if I can.
Could this be giving me the low boost until high rmps and the high egts?

#19 ·
I dont know if thats your problem for sure or not.....

Just sayin that stripped hose clamp is kinda sketchy and at the very least probably not sealing that well...

A boost leak detector is nice to have.... Id make that first and see if thats your problem. Maybe youll get lucky and just need a new clamp.

Plus if you find your plenum damaged or something and want to call the shop or whatever...you'll then know for sure there is a problem and what it is...

On the flip side.....it thats not the problem....you'll avoid going into the shop waving your arms about a boost leak at the plenums when the problem is something else!

#20 ·
Good Advice! I just got back from Lowes with all the parts to make the leak detector. I hope one of my neighbors has a air compressor mine is 25 miles from home! Will keep you posted!

#21 ·
Pretty interesting hookup for your boost gauge. Might want to look into the proper compression fitting.

Remember, you've had your wrench on it now. You might be the guy that crushed the intake plenums. Be strategic about how you approach the shop with this. Not saying you did the damage but if I was the shop mechanic and you told me about how you were tightening the clamps and now they're stripped..... well, I'd be inclined to blame you for the damage.

#22 ·
Pretty interesting hookup for your boost gauge. Might want to look into the proper compression fitting.

Ive had that set up for a few years and it works great.

Remember, you've had your wrench on it now. You might be the guy that crushed the intake plenums. Be strategic about how you approach the shop with this. Not saying you did the damage but if I was the shop mechanic and you told me about how you were tightening the clamps and now they're stripped..... well, I'd be inclined to blame you for the damage.
I tightened all the boots but those because I know how they can be damaged. I checked to see if it was tight and it was stripped already. I have not told my shop that I've touched anything under the hood and plan to keep it that way. But thanks for the advise for sure! The shop knows something isn't quite right. The one mechanic sent it out with 9lbs of boost at WOT and said it was good! What a dumbass or he thought I was!
Still waiting for my buddy with the compressor for a leak test. fingers crossed it just a leak!

#23 ·
Well the neighbors didnt have air compressor for me to use last night. I will head over and use mine this morning to check for boost leaks. will keep everyone posted.

#24 ·
Tested the truck for boost leaks and no leaking boots. I took the truck to the shop and rode around with the guy in charge who has a 1999 f250 withe the 38r. he asked me to bring my work trailer with me so he could see the truck under load. We pulled onto the highway billowed black smoke and he said take next exit and head back to the shop. He said "It ain't supposed to smoke like that for sure". He hopefully will have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon or Friday morn. I will keep everyone posted.

Attachments

#25 ·
If I had to guess the turbomaster is not installed correctly and your just blowing drive pressure out the tail pipe.

#26 ·
I hope that is all it is.

#27 ·
when i installed my TM on my stock turbo i some how had the waste gate stuck wideopen sounds to me like thats your problem

#28 ·
Great product, just have to be really careful when you install it!

#29 ·
Update: I just got back from 10 days on vacation and picked up my truck from the shop. It does not smoke much at all @WOT now egts are down alot. In 80 economy setting it will not get past 1100* but still only makes 27 psi. On 120 performance it makes 33psi and 1400* pretty quick. Im glad egts are down but the truck feels like a slug still. I got beat by a fu#@ing V6 Tundra yesterday. The truck feels like the emergency brake is on but its not. It also feels like it is running out of fuel at WOT. It seemed to pull so much better with stock turbo. Is there some way the shop restricted my fuel to lower my egts??? It does not look like they touched my Air Dog fuel pump settings. They said they just shimmed the Turbomaster wastegate controller to fix my truck.?. Thoughts???
Thanks guys!

#31 ·
I have AE what should those look like while monitoring?

#33 ·
yea thats no sounding normal at all im making that much boost on the stock turbo 27-30psi i have a friend with the 38r running around 40 to 42psi of course he has pretty big injectors i would definitley check the HPOP

#34 ·
Sorry it took awhile to get back a update. I have kids, wife, dog and a small business.

Yesterday I worked and towed my trailer for maybe 60 miles city/hwy. I filled up the truck on the way home and dropped the trailer at storage. I left the storage place and the truck felt a little weaker than I expected after the trailer was dropped. I got into it a little and could only make 18 psi. I was like great WTH is wrong now. I got to a 4way and spooled it up and took off with NO smoke and it was very slow to 55mph and nothing over 18 psi.
Today I changed both of my fuel filters and nothing has changed. 18psi, no smoke, and slow!
It feels like a fuel problem but how to fix I dont know.

I just went out with my AE and have the following to report
ICP Pressure @ idle is 500psi
ICP duty cycle is 10.50% @ idle

From 60mph to 80mph up a slight hill @ WOT I got the following
ICP pressure @ WOT 2600 straight across until I let off
ICPduty cycle @ WOT 51% straight across until I let off.
I still have not installed fuel crossover system yet
Any Ideas? Anything else I can check with AE?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.