Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tony Wildmans 6.0 review!

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  macoyle 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I'll start off by saying that I haven't done business with tony in the past and we all know how legendary he is in the powerstroke world. Well anyway I haven't heard much about his tunes on here but I asked about towing tunes a month or two ago and stated I really liked the Wildman tow tune, towing about 8-9k lbs and getting about 15mpg on scparrish's truck and was wondering why other folks got. I have previously had the gearhead 8k tow tune and liked the power but was not impressed with the mileage 10-11mpg towing a small 20ft boat.

Well tony actually PMed me and asked for my truck and sct info and he would shoot me a tune to see if I liked it or not. So he sent me a tune and we got it dialed in to how I liked it. Great power curve and low end grunt with still being able to use it as a dd tune as well. Shifting felt great and held gears at the right speeds and throttle % to my liking. Now granted this was an empty test for around a week and then on and off while we dialed it in. I am extremely satisfied with the service and tune and he just sent me a race tune to try out so it's loaded up in the truck and I'll have more info tomorrow.

I know a lot of the 6.0 folks don't run his tunes but he reached out to me and we will just say the price is better than right! Within a day or so back and forth we had everything going and considering he has gone out of his way to make and tweak these tunes for a complete stranger is amazing IMO. We all know the unfortunate circumstances that his family has been dealt and I think the outstanding customer service that he has provided me says wonders about his business.

I will post up more reviews once I have it hooked up to a trailer this fall and drive out to Moab and report impressions and my mpgs with the tune. I will be reporting more on his race tune here shortly once I get some time behind the wheel with it. I have the looney wild and srl to compare it to.

Update!!! 23May12

Alright well Tony sent me his first stab at a race file for my truck with a warning that the pedal may be a little touchy so be fretful...game on! :woot: Anyways I loaded it up and ended up putting a little over 100 miles with highway and city and putting it through the paces. All I have to say is wow, why the hell haven't we all been running his tunes. :icon_ford:

Unfortunately the srl isn't much of a comparison for this, but it does have the srl "feel" of it actually throws you in your seat vs the looney wild is fast but it doesn't have the same "punch" feeling. Now I will say his tune feels like a mix of the two, traditionally the srl has nice firm crisp shifts that are a little harsh feeling while the looney wild has a firm shift as well but is easier for dd IMO. This has the punch of the srl with shifting very similar to the looney wild. I would put money that this tune is faster but it's not hard evidence, just SOTP feeling. Egts are about 50-75 degrees cooler on the highway right around 600-650 cruising at 70. It wlso has very low lag just like the other tunes but seems to get into the power band faster than the srl or looney wild. Normal driving has no smoke and when i punch it it does the normal quick puff and then a haze, the haze is darker than the wild but not by much, this could eqsily be changed im sure i just dont care lol. The only reason I said the srl isn't a comparison is because its an older file for non studded and factory injectors. This is more similar to the srl+ or ++ maybe. If I had matt write a new tune I'm sure it would be very competitive because he does great work.

This is my new favorite tune and I'll report on mileage Once I get a few tanks ran through it and can give solid numbers. The srl and looney wild both had great fuel mileage and driveability and are also great tunes but I would recommend Tonys race tune over them because of personal driving preferences. Remember this was the first file sent to me and I really don't see any improvements or changes necessary so I'll leave it alone until I can buy Adrian's turbo lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds interesting hard to find a guy to work with you on a tune and take the time to get it right. Tony sounds like a stand up guy to me just by how you wrote the post might be interested in working with him got a number to get a hold of him pm please.

#3 ·
Yea we had several different changes n the tow tune to get it to how I liked it, the race tune was right on from the git go though

#4 ·
Thats good to know what shop does he work at intersted in his tunes

#7 ·
Update for mileage, I'm gettin about 14.6 with city driving and a lot of spirited runs in the first 1/4 tank. That's better than I got with any of my other tunes so I'm happy about that

#9 ·
This is available to the public now, just go to his site.

With regular driving I am seeing a huge increase in my mileage, almost 400 miles to this tank! I have NEVER gotten that with any other tunes!

#10 ·
Is this on the truck in your avatar? what size tires are you running? what mods do you have?
The reason I ask is Im curently gettin 11ish mpg around town and an extra 3-4 mpgs would be awesome!

#11 ·
ouch!

#12 ·
Yeah its not fun...highway gets better 16ish! :lol: the best ive ever dont on a straight highway run was 384 miles and I think that was 16.5-17 mpg
But then again like others have said, we dont get these trucks because we want great gas mileage!

#13 ·
35" toyo mt's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.