Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6 speed problem

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  steinerr 
#1 ·
Driving home tonight I was putting it in overdrive, and then the shifter hit the dash tried to down shift to 4th but there wasn't anything there ether. I got it home and took the shifter off and it seems like the problem is in the shift forks but I'm not sure. Dose the shift fork housing come off the top of the transmission like any other manual transmission? Any help would be great.

#4 ·
Not hard at all. Just get the right size pin and then stand the fitting straight up, then put the pin through the hole on the side of it. The hardest part is making sure you don't drop the pin into the tranny.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
i too have experienced this...was slamming gears and went into 4th gear and there was nothing pulled it back out and in again and it was fine but shifter was all over the place then lost all gears but 2....anyway same deal roll pins fell out. to do it the right way or the factory way...its a double roll pin so a big one tight in the hole then a smaller one tight in that roll pin. and i drained the oil and i think i could only find the one roll pin. also every once in a while when i shift to 4th it feels like it goes into gear but its actually just like beside it or something....which worries me, i should tear it back apart to make sure the pins arent working their way out again.

#9 ·
yea i did it all through shift cover take the 6 or so bolts out and it tight quarters but its doable....i had to work pretty hard to get both roll pins in.

i didnt actually know that could happen and i was starting to pull tranny and tear it apart when i got to looking in top and saw the collar was loose on the shift rail.

i thot sure that i had broke a shift fork or something

#10 ·
Ok I have a new problem now. I fixed the rollpin that goes threw the top shift fork that the shifter fits in. Now my problem is that. When I was driving home the other night I lost overdrive. So I babied it home in forth, and when I got home I no longer had low gear, reverse, or overdrive. I still have 1-4 but they are real sloppy. I had just assumed that it was the same problem as before, but when I took the shift tower off the rollpin was still in place. I need help any ideas would be great. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.