Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lots of mods but still no black smoke..help!

16K views 115 replies 38 participants last post by  Tom S 
#1 ·
Ok, so to start off i know what the black smoke it. Its unburnt fuel and a waist. I dont wanna just pour out smoke going down the road but i really want just that little bit when you take at stop lights are romp on it on the highway to change lanes. I like the look, i think its a cool look.

Currently ive completely converted the truck to a fully electronic fuel injection system with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine. 3" downpipe to 4" straight pipe, Evolution CTS Programmer, CAI, brand new injectors (they are oem though) nothing special. And im sure im forgetting some odds and ends things, but its a very sound running truck.

Now what can i possibly do to get some coal rolling, hell my buddy just put a 5" exhaust on his 04 king ranch and blows a lot of smoke without even doing an EGR delete so im all sorts of frustrated with this. Ive been told just bump up the fuel pressure till you start getting smoke, but ive got it set at around 75 psi right now and im a little iffy about bumping it up a little more because anywhere close to 100 psi range just sounds bad to me.

Any advice, pointers, tips to help me get a little smoke would be awesome please...now ive just dumped a lot of money into the truck and dont wanna spend any more for a little while. So $1200 stage 2 injectors wont be in my budget right now lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try the walmart sack mod; wrap a walmart sack around your airfilter, or my personal favorite; stick a screw driver in your turbo veins. If thats not enough smoke for you lite the whole thing on fire, your tires burning will really roll some coal :psnb:

:confused: Where are all of these people coming from??? :doh:

#3 ·
DUMP the edge. It has no provisions for your auto trans and will KILL it in a short time.

And your buddy is full of S H I T that he only has exhaust on his king ranch and it blows smoke. Exhaust doesnt do ANYTHING for making smoke

#15 ·
LOL :whs:

#5 ·
LOL It just gets better and better.

#7 ·
I mean, I know hes not lying to me. I went to the dealer with him to pick up the truck and then went straight down to his shop to put the exhaust on. He has an Edge programmer just like mine but he also has the parts on order for an EGR delete and new head studs because we were told no work had been done to it.

Hmm, see i was actually recommended the Edge programmer because i was told it was one of the better programmers for my tranny.

#10 ·
Whoever recommended and Edge to you was more than likely retarded. Get a good 6 pos chip with custom tunes and a set of bigger injectors. Problem solved. Do yourself a favor and dont go around asking how to blow smoke, it makes you look like a tool. Use your search button and look up other threads that ask about blowing smoke, there are only 10,000 of them and 99% of them end the same way.

#8 ·
Hey, its to all there own. Would i ever put 20's on my truck (like the several guys above me) especially on that 1st gen cummins they just look rediculous...but hey, if you like it and needed help then id give you the help you need. This truck is just my toy, something to #### around with and piss off the rice rockets at stop lights. So if no one wants to give some advice then just dont reply.

#16 ·
Would i ever put 20's on my truck (like the several guys above me) especially on that 1st gen cummins they just look rediculous....
They're 22's!! Get it right

#11 ·
Hmm, ok. I have been seeing a lot about the dp or ts chips so maybe ill look into it. Bigger injectors are on my list but itll have to wait a while. I mostly wanted the programmer for monitering the truck and reading codes so it was just a bonus that it came with tunes. So i can always return it to stock, put a chip in and use it strictly as a obd scanner and guages.

#13 ·
I noticed you said someone told you to crank up the fuel. That is something to do on a mechanicaly injected idi truck (or any mechanicaly injected diesel engine), not a di psd. I would be backing off your fuel pressure. Anything above 60psi is just going to cause extra pressure on your hoses etc. for no reason. The only way to "Crank up the fuel" on a di 7.3 is to go to bigger injectors. You may have 75psi to the injectors, but it will make no difference since you only need 60psi max to keep up with the 90cc they flow.

You also say you added an electronic fuel injection system. You may have added an electronic fuel pump to replace the mechanical one, but the injectors are still actuated by oil pressure from the High Pressure Oil Pump. Read up on your HEUI fuel system, lots of good info on here, and if you just google it as well.

As for the chip look into a dp or TS 6pos, but make sure you go somewhere you can get custom tunes for your specific truck burnt onto the dp or TS chip. Most of them offer free re-burns so as you add new components you can send in your chip and have it tuned to match your new goodies. Add your self some mechanical guages and a intake as well. Look up the napa 6637 filter or tymar. You can build a nice intake for under $50.00 I am not the best to give advice on chips as I still don't have one, but I have done alot of homework. I am sure someone will add to the chip selection info for you.

#14 ·
Lol if you want to embarrass ricers you better dump another 5-10 grand in your truck. An OBS 7.3 with just a chip is not going to keep up with a stock honda civic. It will move decent with a set of injectors but you still are going to get embarrassed by most all cars. Get an aftermarket HPOP, injectors (hybrids are the way to go), aftermarket turbo (38r or D66 are common choices), CAC, built trans, some ladder bars (not 100% needed but when beating on it you will notice a huge difference in how the truck acts), and a custom tuned chip. If you keep modding after that you will need some more supporting mods like studs, valve springs, pushrods, etc.

By the way keep the smoke off the main roads, it makes all us diesel owners look bad and is part of the reason the EPA is cracking down on the sport and diesel's themselves. May sound dumb but just think of what other people think when your truck billows out a cloud of smoke.. They A. think you're a jackass B. think your truck is breaking down or both. And when a bunch of trucks do it they are going to freak out because it looks so terrible that it has to be awful for the environment.

#72 ·
I don't know about this..... My truck is (AFIK) is stock. I can whoop the crap out of my wife's PT Cruiser..... I did a boosted launch last night against a riced out civic with a bunch of sticker, CAI, and a ***** body kit with a ***** wing and an automatic with the flat billed highschool kid mod..... I ran him to 50 mph (the speed limit) and he wasn't even close until I backed out of it at 50mph .... he then did the famous ricer fly by with his girl laughing at him (I also like to do this with my Lincoln Continental on saturday nights..... because the family sedan with 2 car seats will tear apart rice rockets..... 32V DOHC Intec 4.6L.... 275/275 out of the box, no mods.....'cept a transmission cooler). If you are talking about tearing down a Rice rocket... I agree, those hopped up imports are fast...... but just a riced out (read, bolt on mods, fake turbo, stickers .... you get it......) Civic then I would have to disagree ..... this will come down to skill.

Hey man, you're gonna catch a lot of flak on this site for wanting to roll coal. These guys are a bunch of smoke haters and don't want to help anyone smoke out ricers.

Check out this site: Competition Diesel Forums

Those guys are awesome and know every trick in the book about getting your rig to roll coal.

This was just mean ..... plain mean ....LOL

#17 ·
Don't want smart a$$ comments then don't ask dumb a$$ questions that are asked time and time again.

#19 ·
No, i know im not gonna beat them. Maybe 10-15 grand in i can, but i wanna pull more than i wanna race anyways. Likr i said, this is just a toy. But by pissing off vtecs i meant just being at a stop light etc and being able to put it in neutral and get a little burp of smoke. I dont want or need it to roll going down the road...just that little burp. But its looking like my only option is the bigger injectors.

#20 ·
O and the full details is i did a fuel bowl delete, added two fuel filters under the truck, and replaced the mechanical lift pump with an electric fuel pump.

#23 ·
Thats what im saying, everyone i know just chipped theres and would blow entirely to much smoke. And ive got a fair amount of work down and not an ounce comes out. I even have the programemer set on extreme, the highest level. I mean, at least i know im making decent power cause shes burning every last ounce of fuel cause theres not a bit of smoke.

#24 ·
And no i dont have the flat bill highscool kid mod. Maybe i should talk to there daddies though cause they seem to get there sons the trucks that blow more smoke then a coal plant.

#26 ·
Hey man, you're gonna catch a lot of flak on this site for wanting to roll coal. These guys are a bunch of smoke haters and don't want to help anyone smoke out ricers.

Check out this site: Competition Diesel Forums

Those guys are awesome and know every trick in the book about getting your rig to roll coal.

#27 ·
please just either build your truck for power and some smoke will come (if that's what your into..fail..) or just sell it and get a car like you should and rice around with that
nothing about smoke is cool
When I see some tool blowing smoke unless it is actually a modded truck I just see wasted power
do it and do it right or please sell it and see car forums instead

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#29 ·
Just a thought but is the truck a 1994.5 or 1995? What is the computer code? I tried an edge on mine once, it showed it loaded fine, but there was no performance gain since mine is a 1994.5. Maybe that is what is goin on here and why you dont see a trace of smoke. You may need to swap to a TS style chip that plugs into the computer and does not use the OBD port. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.