Hard start/rough idle after sitting? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Northcountrywood
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Hard start/rough idle after sitting?

Kinda weird problem I noticed recently and wondered if anybody else has it.

Let truck sit for a couple days and it's hard starting and idles kinda rough for a few minutes. Clears up after a few minutes or so. No codes showing. The longer it sits, the longer it takes to clear.

Even notice a difference between it sitting 8-10 hours and like 24+ hours. Doesn't matter the temp, just how long it sits. This morning it had sat for almost 48 hours without moving. Temp was in the 60s and it started and ran like it does when it's 20 degrees out.

There was always a minor difference in starting when the truck sat for a day or two, but changed from synthetic to dino (for summer) and it seems MUCH worse. New oil is the same weight as the synthetic I changed out. Seriously considering changing the oil again even tho it's only been in there 300 miles.

Is this common or is something up?

2003 F350SD 7.3L CCSB
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Blue2002
USAF Machinist
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue2002
Re: Hard start/rough idle after sitting?

Whats the mileage on the truck and what oil you using?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Northcountrywood
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

197k....Dello 15w40. Previous was Amsoil HDD 15w40.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Blue2002
USAF Machinist
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue2002

You are gittin up there in miles. Mine is roughly the same and was havin a issue similar. I found this website POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners and did the injector oil change. Made a world of difference. My truck was inadvertently changed from Rotella 15w40 to Mobil Delvac 15w40 during a time of my absence. I would say it runs decent. maybe you could give the injector oil change a shot.

I am not affiliated with powerstrokehelp.com, just lettin you know what I did.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 32
04king_stroker, 1999F350Lariat, 99fordman18, andrewv_24, bigstrap3, Blue2002, camaroicoc, Centxdiesel, CHevDog1, cuicha, cwjones, dieselvrgn, e444, fbilly420, flogrown80, Headcase98002, Highstake, J1mSevier, Jason.Horath, Kgaeta92, mdsurvivor, Mr.Wonderful, Northcountrywood, podirtfarmer, QtrHorse, RandyS, richh789, rocketron, ryanlathey, sleeper_sicksoh, tallpaul, tonka250