Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Carillo Rods!

8K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  mysticblu999 
#1 ·
I just saw a post on FB that Carillo has come up with rods for the 6.7!! Oh man, this engine is going to be sick!
:psn:

#5 ·
Spe worked with Carillo and helped designed their rods. They also say they big announcment coming out next week.

#7 ·
Their fb page says $3700

#9 ·
Now for somebody to install and give us all feedback

#12 ·
Don't think its time for this yet. We want to see what a good single turbo and injectors will do with actual tuning on it. Why will no one listen! The stock motor hasn't been pushed to its limits yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
$4-6k for rods.
Wonder how much it costs to pull an engine, cab off and all that.
Then it's tieing up a lift while the motor is being worked on.
Then the motor needs a full dissassembly and reassembly.

Sounds like a 10k+ job to me.

Wonder how many are going to take the plunge on something like this and how many are going to say that 500hp is enough.

#14 ·
What's sick about it?
Is it sick that you have to invest 10K to fix this engine into something it isn't, or is it sick to think that anyone will buy these rods to begin with?

Aside from the .000001% that would actually tear down this engine to fix the problem, I would suggest these aftermarket companies live in the real world and service the other 99.99990%.
First understand that this engine isn't the 6.4L, and start to develop parts that the average guy would buy without worry. I would start by developing a better single turbo that will improve this engine without compromising the stock parts, and mildly tune around that combo.
I would be very happy and satisfied with that...

#15 ·
A agreed George , I'm scared to mess with mine as nothing has proven reliable yet.

#17 ·
Are any of the tuners/ tuning companies using cylinder pressure analysis for the programming?

These rods look similar to the 7.3L rods...which 'used' to pop at 450-550hp...once tuners started being careful with the low-mid rpm cylinder pressure...viola...650-750+ on stock rods.

Now, it would be asinine to BUILD an engine with those power goals with factory rods...it's not AS risky to make a few hundred more hp (over this perceived reliabilty ceiling) without the likelihood of a rod failing.

A big (single) turbo typically solves this issue in a round about way...by simply not spooling as quick down low, forcibly moving the power up in the rpm where the TIME that the rods are being subjected to high(er) cylinder pressure is much much shorter.

I'd looove to get a 6.7 on our engine dyno with the current tuning to monitor CP...

until the tuning is verified..billet rods are just going to move the failure point to the next weakest link...on the 7.3L it was the block itself.

#18 ·
What's sick about it, is it will be great to start seeing 1000hp 6.7 powerstroke diesels eating quarter miles and sled pulls for breakfast! George, we all know how cool the 6.4 is... You don't need to convince anyone here. But Stronger aftermarket parts are always a plus! One of the guys I work with has a heavily modded 5.9 Cummins, he had to swap the trans and have motor work done to make it 100% safe at 60 lbs of boost. Is it bad that there are aftermarket transmissions and other parts to allow a few people to build a monster of a truck? Nope, it's not bad. What should Ford do? Produce a diesel capable of supporting 1000+ HP stock? Maybe they can throw in lift kits and giant rims and tires while they're at it! George, stop being so negative all the time.

#19 ·
time is what is needed for the 6.7 to be a performance monster.. things dont happen overnight.. companies haft to have time to to R&D to find what works

I also agree with TurboDiesel.. george nobody has compared this motor to the 6.7. y must you jump on every thread and hate on the 6.7. you make strong points and everyone knows that. it would be great if u would just say ur points and leave the 6.4 part out.

but GOLFER i would also like my 6.7 on ur dyno!

#20 ·
Can you two children ever get over your insecurities and face facts without getting wrapped up in emotion?
It's not hate kids, I don't "hate" material things, I generally hate dis-honesty in people. (unrelated)
It's just a small pick up truck were talking about, and that really doesn't emotionally move me one way or the other, sorry..
Get a tissue and blow your nose please, and now lets move on...

It is what it is and the facts are the facts, so lets deal with them directly.
Time doesn't harden rods.

It seems that today, this is where we are with the 6.7L
The new stock parts worthiness parameters are different from the old standards. It seems that SPE and others have assumed this engine has the same strength as the old stuff, and the end results have been "somewhat" different, don't you agree?.
So, let's start from scratch and build power conservatively to where the engine survives for the long term and all of us feel comfortable buying performance again. I'm very confident if the correct approach is taken, plenty of extra power will be available for everybody without risk as long as the aftermarket companies take a conservative approach and forget about what the former engine could take.
The 6.4L is dead and gone, so I think everyone has an interest in making the new engine work. Personally I'll have the first next-generation Super Duty built, no matter which diesel sits in the frame..

#21 ·
In edit,

jd18 and TD,
Accept the standard that all future performance Powerstroke engines will be compared to the 6.4L.
That's a plain and unemotional truth that you will have to someday realize and then accept.. It's got nothing to do with anything other than that fact, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I own a preserved, winter stored 08'. I hold no heart strings for cold steel under a class 8 Pete 389 :)...
If I wanted to deal with the 6.7L as it sits, one would be in my driveway.

The 6.4L engine is gone and is now history, but that fact remains. If you don't want to hear comparisons, well that isn't my problem, it's yours. I suspect comparisons will be made for years to come from just about every diesel performance company in existence because it's rare when the "total package' comes right from the factory.. Again, let's move on and work with this engine. There will be negative comments, especially when the rods, fuel pump and rail volume suck.
It's development will have it's shortfalls, so deal..

#22 ·
no insecurities or emotions..

just everyone gettting tired of hearing your ####

we all know u love the 6.4..uve made that clear..

your info on everthing is great..ur ego is not

#23 ·
George... You are right except this is the 6.7 side of PSN... No one here likes your posts, and I'm sure no one here rushes home to read your posts. If you left the forum tomorrow you would not be missed. This thread is about the new rods, not about you and your opinion concerning our trucks. The reason any of us are attached to our trucks is because we've worked hard to have them, thus there is a certain amount of pride that creates an attachment. This thread is about the 6.7 and the Carillo rods, not the 6.4.

Now... Let's get back to those rods!

#24 ·
I think you should not speak for anyone but yourself there bud, and no forum is exclusive.....
If you are attached to a truck just because you think you have worked hard for it, then what a walled up, safe and unrealistic jail you both live in.. To me, they make them every day.....
Try living with a little less coveting.

#26 ·
Blah Blah Blah stop your whining. Jesus........Waaaaaaaa my 6.7 feelings are hurt waaaaaaaaaa......the 6.4 is better.....waaaaaaaa. Its like a kindergarten around here.

The 6.4 as it is right now is a better motor than this 6.7 in terms of aftermarket support and what not. I have doubts if the 6.7 will live up to it, plus with the EPA knocking at the door for "off-road" products I'm pretty sure things are going to come to a grinding halt(product development time wise. Its Middle of 2012 and the 6.7 has been out for a year and half. How long did it take the 6.4 trucks to get DPF deletes? Where is the 6.7 in that process? Look at the forms over the net and see how little there is in the aftermarket sections.

Adding forged roads when custom fully open tuning is not yet implemented yet is as bad as the 5.9CR boys buying monotherms because they keep melting down. I don’t think forged rods are the answer here, but obviously for some level of HP they will be. You guys do realize that like 90% of the people that drive diesel, do just that......DRIVE THEM. They don’t come over here and look at what’s going on and what they can do. They buy the truck and use it for what it was intended for. Were a fairly small section of all diesel sales.

That being said I do like the 6.7’s, I like the trucks but they are now in the rhem of not workable. TO much #### don’t even want to mess with it, outside of basic stuff. If I spent 50K on a truck I would not want to tear it down to the block to just get 500hp. I’ll go buy a dodge before I do that, if that was my main goal.

#30 ·
George, I'm also tired of your constant posting in the 6.7 forums. You don't contribute anything. Please just stay in the 6.4 forums.

#32 ·
George is right.

The fact is, he's stating the truth that as it currently stands, the 6.7 will not be "sick", as someone previously stated, without NUMEROUS upgrades, costing upwards of 10-15k, if not more, just to get to the level of the 6.4.

And here's why it matters.

Ever since the 6.7 was due to ship, Ford and a bunch of other people with pre-orders were spreading false rumors about the 6.7 platform. How it was supposed to blow the 6.4 out of the water performance wise. How it was supposed to get 25+ MPG. Etc. Etc.

Bottom line: None of that has remotely happened.

And still, we have people saying how "sick" the truck is going to be by upgrading just one component.

Lets not kid ourselves, or more importantly, others. We all need to accept that until Ford does some serious modifications from the factory, this is what we have to work with.

Lets be honest with ourselves.

:ford:

#40 ·
Ever since the 6.7 was due to ship, Ford and a bunch of other people with pre-orders were spreading false rumors about the 6.7 platform. How it was supposed to blow the 6.4 out of the water performance wise. How it was supposed to get 25+ MPG. Etc. Etc.:
A stock 6.7 will beat a stock 6.4 at anything, anytime.

You know.... If these guys want to get excited and spend money on their trucks it is their business. I don't understand why you guys have to come on here and fill a "once positive and exiting" thread with nothing but negativity and disbelief that a 6.7 can amount to anything. If I remember correctly there was a time when everyone stayed far away from a 6.4 bc of its reputation to break down..... Consider this my last post here, this site is full of negativity.
There's a great feature called the ignore button. I am fairly new to this site but not new to this type of forum and the annoying, self indulgent and useless posters are easy to spot, and quickly go on the ignore list. It's like having all that background noise go away. Give it a try before you throw in the towel.

#33 ·
You know.... If these guys want to get excited and spend money on their trucks it is their business. I don't understand why you guys have to come on here and fill a "once positive and exiting" thread with nothing but negativity and disbelief that a 6.7 can amount to anything. If I remember correctly there was a time when everyone stayed far away from a 6.4 bc of its reputation to break down..... Consider this my last post here, this site is full of negativity.

Sent from an apple.

#35 ·
Negativity?

Just where did you come up with the negative bull$hit about anyone staying away from the 6.4L because of a rep of breaking down? That sounds a little negative my friend, doesn't it?
That was the 6.0L, and as it sits, I would rather have to retrofit head studs than rods any day.

If you guys can't keep it real in your life, then live in your dreamworld and don't curse those of us who live within true reality.. Defending the obvious with insults just worsens your dreamworld existence..
The facts are what the facts are. The only thing that is "sick" is the strength of this engines internal components when pushed beyond stock, and the cost and mega-hassle of making it acceptable again.

Instead of cursing me, curse Ford for building a weak engine that can't be pushed beyond a minimum level of tuning.. I am fully expecting Ford to fix the weaknesses when the next gen truck is released, because if tuning brings these problems to the forefront immediately, you can expect age and miles to do the same to this engine in stock form a few years down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.