Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 Stroker! (stroked 6.4)

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ghohouston 
#1 ·
does anybody have some info on stroked 6.4s? i think elite offers it, Im not positive. but what would be the benefit of stroking the motor? these 6.4s are already nasty the way they are. But imagine, 7.3 with high power x's, dual fuelers, and 150 or 175 nozzles. and all supporting mods. i wonder if there is any reliability in there for daily driver use?

#4 ·
I was also goin to ask about the 6.4L Stroker Kit. Has anyone on here Stroke the 6.4L yet? What this kit run in price roughly? Id love to say I have a modern day 4 valve common rail 7.3 with Compund Turbos.

#6 ·
I would agree it would be a comp motor, but was wondering about reliability for daily driver use. I havent seen/heard of anybody ever doing except elites article in DP. The truck would be an out right beast on the street. i have a spare 6.4 motor with 2 bent rods, and a cracked crank (have no clue how it happened) but i see it as a perfect candidate.

#7 ·
i have talked to various shops, about stroking my 7.3

if you have a billet crank made, thats one piece machined unit, then you can stoke to your hearts content, and reliability wont suffer.

the problem starts, with how your goin to stroke it. if your goin to have it cut and welded, like normal, NO SHOP will stand behind it, put in a dd, or used for a dd.

they all agree, its not if it will fail, its when. 1k miles, or 100k miles, who knows.

the benefits arise, because a small build, 60's, fuelers, tow powers, go from upper 600's, or what ever they are, to 7-800's, or whatever it ends up being. you can have high hp, while still maintaining a "safe", relatively low maintenance build. not sacrificing towing, keeping fast spool up.

simply taking the money you would be spending on a "standard" high hp build, and taking the difference in money, and applying it to the bottom end.

ISH. you still need to talk to the builder of your choice, and see if this route is the route for you.

#8 ·
well my current DD is pushing 750-775 ish. industrial compounds, 110s, dual fuelers, etc...but i got bit by the drag racing bug and i want to go all out. but it looks like ill just build this motor and slap it in a standard cab. Like with anything on these trucks you always want more hp.....money pits they are indeed

#10 ·
i called various shops, that create cranks from scratch. like you, i wanted a crank that didnt sacrifice longevity, so i could use it in a dd application.

skat cranks was the cheapest.

if you have a stock crank, in perfect working order, and send it to them, they estimated 10k to have a billet crank made.

the main cost, was they had to reverse engineer the stock one, to make the blueprint/cad mumbers/what ever you call the numbers goin into a cnc machine, to then make the new one into the stroked version.

UNLESS, you somehow already happen to have a blueprint of the stock crank. then it was like 2500-3k ish to have a billet crank made.

keep in mind, thats just a regular guy, calling, asking general questions, getting general quotes.

i would imagine, the guy who was a little more serious about it, could find better deals, or talk to/work with shops that work with crank builders, and cut some of that cost as well.

i pursued it far enough to satisfy my curiousity, and stopped.

#13 ·
if your familiar with gassers, a 383 stroker is a chevy 350ci with a chevy 400ci crank. 100% direct fit replacement. some minor clearancing of the block is sometimes needed.

there taking the crank from a larger engine and putting it in the smaller one. larger crank gives it a longer "stroke".

longer stroke, means the pistons have more leverage on the crank, thus giving more power.

the problem we have, is there are no larger engines, that are direct fit replacemants, for our cranks.

as such, we need to have our cranks cut apart and welded back together, to gain said stroke, or we need to have a entirely new crank made, to achieve it.

cut and welded cranks, are no good in a dd application, and new cranks are pretty much out of budget for any but the dedicated, well off few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.