Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2000 Excursion, bone stock, what's it gonna need to be a reliable, stable tow rig?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kampinguru 
#1 ·
I am thinking of buying a specific 2000 7.3 excursion from the original owner. it has 170k on it. The pwoer stering pump is whining. I've read that a good flush can sometimes solve this issue. I've noticed a good amount oily crud aroudn the turbo intercooler pipes, I'm assuming the seals are just old and cracked and need ot be repalced. Other than that, the truck runs strong.

My real question is what is it gonna take to get thsi truck running like new and capable of towing my 7000 lb camper safely and securly on the highway. It sways like crazy now and I know the rear sway bar is a must on these trucks. what other parts, ( new springs, etc.) are really gonna get this truck running smooth and safe down the road? What kinda $$ can i realistically assume to spend to get it safe?

#2 ·
Re: 2000 Excursion, bone stock, what's it gonna need to be a reliable, stable tow rig

Cary from Home very helpful in getting the Excursions to ride correct. I did the V and B code spring swap. Hellwig rear sway bar and good set of shocks. Will make the truck ride totally different. I tow my race car with no problems. A simple search on here will give you many ideas on springs and such.

#3 ·
Re: 2000 Excursion, bone stock, what's it gonna need to be a reliable, stable tow rig

Cary from Home very helpful in getting the Excursions to ride correct. I did the V and B code spring swap. Hellwig rear sway bar and good set of shocks. Will make the truck ride totally different. I tow my race car with no problems. A simple search on here will give you many ideas on springs and such.
Without prying too much can you give me a rough idea what your spring and sway bar coat ballpark?

#4 ·

I meant COST not coat! trying to type on a smartphone!

#5 ·

the Excursion should be fine to tow 7000lbs bone stock. I would not bother with any performance upgrades unless you want the additional power for fun. At 7000lbs, I would assume this is a travel trailer, not a 5th wheel. Depending on the hitch weight, you may want airbags in the rear of the truck, but probably not needed. If you want the additonal power, you would want to add a chip, and a tubo housing and gauges and you should be good to go. If you only go to an additional 80 - 100 HP, i do not think you would need the bigger exhaust or intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.