Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bilstein 5100 shock

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  me2 
#1 ·
Hey yall, i have procomp mx-6 shocks on my truck now, and they are shot. Ive been lookin into gettin Bilstein 5100s to replace them...they have good reviews but i was lookin for input from people that have run them on our trucks.
So what does everyone think? Any reccomendations?
Specs are in my sig. Thanks

#5 ·
I have a pair of 5100s on my old truck. They are a bit hit and miss.

If you get the right shock and if you run it in the right place, they will be good. Maybe better than good.

Getting the right shock is a matter of getting the right valving and running it in the right place. Make sure you get a shock that has digressive valving. I think they all do, but I'm not sure.

The second thing to know about 5100s is that they get harsh at the end of their stroke. So if the shock is mostly compressed when installed or if you have soft suspension and it compresses the shock to the end, expect some or a lot of harshness.

However, if you run the shock at the beginning of its stroke, its almost silky smooth.

Bilstein went with the remote reservoir 5160s for this very reason. However, they are $200 per shock.

The valving inside the 5100s is the same as the 7100s. If you can get a shock that can be taken apart, ie C clip seals and if you weld a fill (shraeder) valve on it, you can tune them to your heart's content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.