Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

who runs DP tunes with hybrids?

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  lariat7.3 
#1 ·
Got a set of 238's and wondering if yours smoke at idle whether hot or cold, trying to track it down to see if i have an issue or not. Thanks

#2 ·
Kilapapia runs dp and 238s.... How much smoke are you talking.
Shouldn't be smoke unless it cold....just my 2 cent

#3 ·
pretty decent amount, easily visible. Hoping i dont have a cut oring

#4 ·
If they are smoking at idle other than possible when really cold you have a tuning or mechanical issue. No reason for there to be smoke at idle with even larger nozzles if everything is correct.

First rule out there is nothing mechanical and then move on to getting your tunes dialed in.

Did you get these tunes with the injector swap in or where you running other tunes before with these injectors?

Do you have any codes?

Do you have a scanner like Auto Enginuity where you can do testing and datalogging?

#5 ·
yup re-burned for the hybrids when i swapped. No codes. thing runs great other than the annoying smoke. Yes i have an AE, what specifically should i target and log? i can post it on here once i do that

#8 ·
the smoke does reduce some once up to operating temp but its still definitively noticeable. It gets way worse if i throw some WMO in which i stopped doing till i get the issue at hand figured out. They have done it since install. Would excessive fuel pressure cause the issue? What variables should i record with the AE to help with the prognosis?

#9 ·
If you rule out a mechanical issue. Then there is NO reason "properly" tuned injectors should be smoking at idle after the first few mins on cold days. If we are talking about 238cc/100% hybrid injectors this should not be an issue for canned tunes. With 200% or larger it might take some tweaks. But with 100% tuners should have these base tunes for them fairly polished up. Again this is IF there is not a mechanical issue that may have to be compensated for in tuning if not fixed otherwise.

#10 ·
If you are burning WMO , I'd ask Jody..iirc he was writing tunes for a few oil burners.
Maybe see what he thinks...or if you have an f6 and try out some other of his tunes.
If not see what it cost to upgrade. Your tunes may just need some tweaks.

#11 ·
He is running WMO?
I must have missed that. IMO all bets are off when you start running stuff like that when it comes to smoking etc..

#12 ·
Yes i have an F6, yes i have the W85 tune. The WMO is irrelevant because these things have been doing this since install a few thousand miles ago. I only recently threw some WMO in just to see what would happen. I mixed it in really thinned out, maybe 40% max? injectors are 238/80's from FFD. Running back on diesel now and smoke got less but its back to its old self as far as the huffing and such. Could excessive fuel pressure cause this?

TARM, is there any specific data on the AE i could monitor to rule some things out?

#13 ·
Do you have a reg return?
What is your dp set to now.
Not running a bb mod on a superduty are you?
Sd don't like the 100 psi result.

#14 ·
Set on 80 econo, which is what i run around town in. I didnt do the BB mod lol. Ive got the Riff Raff FRX installed, and i cant get the fuel pressure to come down. It sits at about 80 PSI. Ive pulled the regulator off and messed with it to make sure it wasnt pinched or anything and it still runs 80 psi.

#15 ·
That seems a bit exsesive to me, I would think 65 70 is plenty of pressure. The big thing is volume not pressure so much, seems like I read somewhere that exsesive pressure makes the injectors noisier.

Dan

#16 ·
So the new fuel filter didn't help either. I thought the WMO was doing it and had clogged the filter. I would now turn my attention to getting the fuel pressure down to around 65 and see what that does. I have no smoke as stated in another thread with 238/100's and up to temp.

#17 ·
Well I would start with the basics and do some roll on throttle runs.

First on a cold start get a RPM,ICP, IPR DC%, PW, EOT

Then once you have EOT up to operating temp 190 ish

Then do:

Injector Buzz Test

Cylinder Contribution test and lets see the actual % numbers for each cylinder.\

Then do some roll on to WOT runs logging the following:

RPM, ICP, DC%, PW,

Maybe check EBP as well. (exhaust back pressure) IIRC Jody uses EBP readings for some tunes.

When you get the logs go ahead and export them as a spread sheet and post them up.

Then we can go from there as that will give a starting point of knowing whats going on with the basic systems dealing with fueling.

Does fuel pressure stay that high even at WOT? If it does the 80 psi really should not hurt anything. The pump should flow only slightly less as its fairly linear with the Bosch. It should not be an issue for the injectors and the pumps IIRC are rated up to 100 psi.

#18 ·
ok will do, thanks man. Once up to operating temp the smoke goes away about 85-90%. In order to see it you have to really look for it when looking at the stack "yes i have one" LOL thinking about dumping it for the ole 4 in exhaust. Yeah the pressure Has never dropped below 70-ish. I havent done a WOT run since ive had these sticks, i'm afraid to because i dont have studs or springs in yet. Most i saw on the boost gauge when rolling into it was 35PSI and i let out.

#19 ·
Hmmm I thought it was worse than that.

Can you get a short video of it cold and then when warm?

Also can you put a signature together with your current mods. It helps to know whats been upgraded etc when trying to troubleshoot.

#22 ·
pulse width

Definition:
All modern automotive engines use fuel injectors to deliver fuel to the combustion chamber.
Varying load, speed and temperature conditions require adjustibility of fuel delivery, and that is accomplished through changes to injector pulse width.

It is simply the amount of time, measured in milliseconds (ms), a fuel injector stays open (delivers fuel) during a cylinder intake cycle.

#23 ·
thanks, And that comes up as an option on the AE? Never have seen that before

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.