Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

B&W GN hitch w/ Firestone Air bags.....installed w/ pics

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JCart 
#1 ·
Hopefully for the ones that want to go this route. The mods were pretty straight forward.

The 1" bolt had to be removed. I used a 1" Hilti concrete anchor. The smooth part was cut off and a heavy 1" washer was welded on. This needs to be done because the head of the 1" bolts sticks out too far and the bag will rub. You can try to find a 1" bolt carriage bolt. The 1" carriage bolts are out there but a PIA to get. I found 'em but the shop wanted me to buy 10 of them for $75....not for 2 bolts. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the bolt.

A notch was cut in the top bracket to clear the B&W bracket.

The front u-bracket where the lower bracket rests on was milled so it can be level.

At this time, I did not get the on board air compressor. The air valves were installed in the rear fuel fill door. I have to get better caps.

My truck has 5" traction blocks with "F" code rear SD springs. Tires are Michelins LTX M/S2, 285/75-16.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
Thank you very much! Yeah I have the b&w hitch and have been searching for a kit that would work without modification. But with the way you did it it looks like it came that way.

#6 ·
I hate digging up old threads on a forum....but sometimes I think it's better then starting a new one.... I've been searching numerous places, and this topic is almost identical to "my" case.

I'm going to be tackling this same project in the next month or so.... (ie install rideRite w/ BW gn) I have a 97 F350 and plan to go with the 2071 kit. Is there any chance the OP can repost pics?? Or does anyone else have some pics or links to similar installs?

If not, I still plan to do this and I will post mine....likely I'll just weld it though.

#7 ·
Sorry, my Webshot account was deleted when they went paid.

Here are a few pics. I don't know which pics were posted in the OP.

Since the above pics where taken, I installed the Airlift Wireless Air Command System and replaced the brass 90* fittings on the top of the air bags with the swivel type. I replaced the carriage bolts that hold the brackets on the leafs with Grade 8 bolts. Not a fan of cheap zinc carriage bolts.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#8 ·
Sorry, my Webshot account was deleted when they went paid....
I understand. Thanks for re-posting them. That install looks nice and clean. The "notch" isn't as big as I thought it might be.

... and replaced the brass 90* fittings on the top of the air bags with the swivel type. I replaced the carriage bolts that hold the brackets on the leafs with Grade 8 bolts. Not a fan of cheap zinc carriage bolts.
Did you have problems with the original 90* fittings? Also I agree on the bolts, thats something to add to my list before install day.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
I know this is dated but am pleased you kept pix and reposted Billy. Much appreciated, I have bags on my current pet and wanna install a B&W under bed goose neck hitch and was wondering what would fit.

Thanks,

j

#12 ·
So in the throws of B&W 1110-800 turn over ball hitch, with firestone airbags (think that’s what they are, already on truck). Just making knotches and reinstalling. B&W fit is very good. Lower bolt holes on the firestone frame brackets are just below the B&W side (frame) plates, think it’ll be ok, just might look goofy if you look close.

As I couldn’t find 1” dia, carriage bolts and as I don’t have access to welder, I’m gonna use my steel cutting skill saw and reduce the thickness on the provided 1” bolt heads, by about 1/2. Then round the edges somewhat possibly after bolt up. The bolt heads are pretty robust I’d guess an inch thick by reducing to 1/2 should still provide significant strength no?

The plan is to pull the 5er with an Andersen Ulitmate Hitch 2 along with the B&W turnover. Then at work if I need I can tow with the B&W if needed.

I can take pix when done.
j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.