Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How to check 4X4?

689 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  blue89turbo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have an 01 PSD with the selectable 4x4 knob.

I was just standing in a gravel parking lot trying to watch the driveshafts with the wife behind the wheel. Here is what I noticed:

With the switch on 2wd and the hubs on auto i noticed that the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff was turning when the truck was driving and I also noticed the left and right u-joints spinning too.
Does that seem right???
Can I drive around like this with out problems? Is there an easy way to
disengage the front hubs? Will replacing the auto hubs fix the problem?

I should add that when the truck was in park and i rocked the vehicle by the front wheel the driveshaft seemed to be free. Maybe the problem is in the transfer case??

When I put it in 4x4 low it did seem to work as the gearing seemed lower and when I cranked the wheel left or right the left or right rear wheel would grab. Does that seem right?

Any suggestions are appreciated... I am new to 4x4 and maybe someone can tell me how to properly check the operation?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I belive there is a pin somewere under your gearbox that you can engage to go into 4x4 or disangage out of you can slide forward and back. not to sure though.

#4 ·
So I crawled under the truck tonight.

I removed the transfer case shift motor and it does seem to operate correctly.
I had the wife move the knob to the three positions. The dash lights work properly and the motor moves to the three different spots.

Now I can only assume that the transfer case is not releasing (as I was thinking)

The only other option that I can think of is that the hubs are not releasing causing the frt driveshaft to spin??? I don't know too much about the hub operation yet, but is it possible that the hubs could be making the front drive shaft spin? Is there any easy way to disengage the hubs? maybe just pulling hubs off for now?

Thanks for any help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.