Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Stage 1's...not really impressed!!!

17K views 137 replies 38 participants last post by  Jomax 
#1 ·
So I spent the day installing a set of Full Force 180cc 1's. Had my chip re burnt for the singles and my D66. Finished up and put about 15 miles on it and yes I know I dont have all the air out and still have a slight miss. I have to say that even with the slight miss I am NOT impressed at all!

The truck is louder now and honestly I dont even have a seat of the pants feeling like it runs stronger.

My truck is an early 99 so I had the 140cc injectors and maybe I was hoping for more but I didnt get it, in fact I feel like I wasted a day.

Did I mess something up for it to run so weak? Let me know Nation.

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 ·
What kind of boost you getting

#4 ·
Well I pushed it a lil and got to 20. Thats the thing, it just feels dead! I re checked all my boots and everything is fine. I found a small exhaust lead but very minor and im going to tighten that up in the morning but have had worse and my truck ran stronger stock.

#5 ·
oops, my bad. Thought they were 140. Im running TW tunes and have for the last 6 years and love them. No I have a 17 for a hpop. It jus dont make sense to me. I just read the php thread and he almost got 400 out of 1's! I know thats him live tuning but my rig feels a lil better than stock at best!!!

#6 ·
Something is not right you should feel a significant difference!
You should be getting 30-35 psi boost I'm thinking and instantly.
Sounds like stock program file to me what are your egts like? How's the smoke....lots?
what files do you have? Also recheck your chip install UNHOOK the batteries and pull out the ignition key prior to messing with the chip.

jrc

#9 ·
I agree with you. Just went for another drive and I cant hit 10 psi! I snugged up the exhaust so thats taken out of the equation.

I am running TW tunes that OBWIZ did for me for the 180cc and d66.
I Just installed the chip but I will try and start over there. I always unhook the bat when I mess with any computer.

#7 ·
Kinda havin the same issue with my buddies 02, Last nite put a set of 238 80s in the truck. Truck has a 38r and Gearhead custom tunes. Truck runs good dont get me wrong, but just doesnt have the 400 to 450 hp i expected it to have. Maybe closer to 350ish. Do injectors need time to get all the air out of the hpo lines to make full power?

#11 ·
I'm with you but I dont know what it is. I have yet to throw and SES light and from all my reading that means that is mechanical. I am open to try anything.

#12 ·
Make sure you didn't unhook the boost line to your MAP sensor.

#15 ·
So I spent the day installing a set of Full Force 180cc 1's. Had my chip re burnt for the singles and my D66. Finished up and put about 15 miles on it and yes I know I dont have all the air out and still have a slight miss. I have to say that even with the slight miss I am NOT impressed at all!

The truck is louder now and honestly I dont even have a seat of the pants feeling like it runs stronger.

My truck is an early 99 so I had the 140cc injectors and maybe I was hoping for more but I didnt get it, in fact I feel like I wasted a day.

Did I mess something up for it to run so weak? Let me know Nation.

Thanks in advance for the help!
gonna take longer than that!!

post back after about 75 miles of driving and it if hasnt come around for ya then theres an issue.

you WILL NOT make full power with air in the the HPO system

#16 ·
I completely understand this. I know the difference because I have pulled my stock injectors before and replaced the cups. My issue is that I dont have near the power that I though I would, it really doggy! I am bout to run to town and back 70 ish miles and I will lay in to it and see if i can clear the air.

#17 ·
Also not sure this will make any difference but I can not roll black smoke at all!! Even when I am in my extreme setting I can not get black smoke. Something has to have died and I dont know what it is.

#18 ·
Sometimes it takes 10 miles and other times it takes 100. Air will make it not run right. With good tuning there should not be that much smoke. Another thing to do is pull the chip and see how it runs without it. Early 99s are harder to tune then later ones.

#23 ·
Air in the system will put a huge damper on things.... run it for a hundred miles or so then do some wot runs and by then all the air should be out of it... if its still doing it contact the vender that sold you the parts and try to trouble shoot it that way... hell just the other day I had an oring blow on the backside of my hoop and I pulled it out and put the new oring on and reinstalled the plug in about that amount of time it took me to type it and got air in the system and ran like a turd until it purged all the air out...

#24 ·
a miss? mabey you bumped ine of your injector plugins loose when installing a valve cover? that wont always show up on a ses light....mine didnt when it happend to me.

#27 ·
it will run without the chip especially since you changed the computer to a later truck. even if you didnt, it would still run, but not as strong as it would with the original injectors.

#28 ·
What is your power like compared to your stock injectors you just pulled? More? Same?

My bet is those tunes are not correct or you have a boost leak somewhere. Many bring in fuel based on boost. The fact you are not seeing any black smoke (I am guessing less than your stock injectors with tunes?) makes me believe either you have a boost or an issue reading the boost or the tunes are not set up correctly.

I do not think its air in the hpop system but anything is possible. As it is super easy and only takes a min. Pull the ICP sensor and make sure oil is right at the threads on the port. Many times a air bubble can form under the sensor and take a long time 100miles + to get out of there. So do that.

Maybe I missed it but have you checked for codes yet or done buzz and contribution injector tests etc? Not having a SES does not mean anything other than its not a hard code. I would do that first. Save and clear the codes then cycle the key again and check for new codes and run those tests. Then while you are driving do a roll into WOT while logging say RPM, ICP, PW, Boost Maybe do just a HPOP run with ICP IPR% RPM as well. Lets see what your truck engine is doing compared to what it likely should be doing.

Maybe you ended up getting the wrong tunes. Have seen that a number of times

#35 ·
The power is the thing that im most disappointed in, it just does not have the balls I though it would! stock injectors on the street setting would eat up my extreme setting now WITH new 180cc injectors!

I can get smoke in the extreme setting and hit 30 psi a lil bit ago and that was WOT for a lil bit. The tunes are TW via OBWIZ so I'm not sure how they work but I am going to give him a ring in the AM and see what he thinks. As I mentioned earlier, I do have a slight leak at one donut and thats all. So I dont think that could cause such a major issue.

I really dont think its air at all! I have messed with a few and I think I know the difference and it not air.

I am headed out of town in the AM but will hook a scanner up on tues and see what it says and relay the info back to you and go form there...i hope!

So I have put a lil over 100 miles on my rig now and it starts right up and idles nice and smooth. Heres the thing that is bothering me with the miss, headed down the fwy at 70 it almost never misses now when I start to pull a hill it misses like a SOB! Any ideas what could make it load related? If an IDM is dieing will it do this? The pump I put in is suppose to be a good 17, if its weak would it do this? When I say miss, I mean like a HARD miss, like turning the key off and on very fast miss. Hope the new info can lead to a cure for my 7.3 or im gonig to kill it and put a 12 valve in. :eek:

#32 ·
See tuning was the issue. Not the way I thought it would be the issue but.... Yes I am reaching LOL

Glad you are happy.

#33 ·
OP, Something is wrong. You should get some black smoke. My new motor with 3 miles on it could cloud out a highway.

Sounds like your not getting fuel. No smoke with low boost and low EGTs means no fuel. Can you scan for duty cycle and HPOP pressure. Hook up a FP gauge.

#37 ·
You have a boost leak, or a HPO issue...

Stage 2's should put out about 35-37psi, all else being correct.

HPO you should not be seeing duty cycles above 40-45% IMHO...

#38 ·
Gonna have to say if your all plugged in to your UVCHs and HPOP is good then you have an injector issue for sure. A miss will not throw SES light always especially injector problem. Your tuning is still not right or one of your injectors is a P.O.S or installed incorrectly.

Oh and ive never had air still in HPOP after 20 miles of running with new injectors and I install them quite often..we usually suggest 5 to 10 miles of highway then alot of WOT passes it seems to get the air out quick and has yet to hurt anything.

#39 ·
These are stage 1 not 2 based on the title. Are we sure these are stock and not 30% nozzles 1.5s instead of stage 1s ?

I think its the tuning as if he has everything plugged back in that deals with air and HPOP if there was a injector issue large enough to make these run worse than old stock injectors it would run like crap, would it not?

This is why you really need to get a scanner on there and also do a data log with your ICP IPR DC% PW RPM With these recording do a roll on WOT. This will show us not only if there is a HPOP issue but also some what of what is going on with fueling.

How does it idle? How bad is this missing you are speaking of?

You really got to get this thing on a scanner.

Confirm the tuned today and then if that checks out get to putting a scanner on there and then data logging a few runs

#40 ·
Well if there stage 1's your not going to sit back in your seat and say "wow"... At least thats how I felt. There good, better then AD's but nothing like a set of hybrids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.