Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Best teardown guide?

715 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Getting ready to start the teardown on the rebuilder engine I bought. It will get rebuilt and put in place of the tired powerplant currently under the hood of my '00 F350 CCLB. Engine has everything on it but the turbo and ped. Since this is my first diesel, I'm not sure where to start! What would you guys recommend for a reference on how these darn things come apart?:doh: I will probably pick up a Haynes manual, but is there a better guide for those of us without a clue?:rolleyes: I will be taking my time, and taking pictures as I go. If it goes well enough, I may post a thread on it. After reading some of the builds on here, I may be tempted to do some custom fab on some things if I have time. But first I've gotta get started!

#2 ·
Wow! I thought I'd have at least two or three responses by now. Is there really nothing better than the Haynes manual?!

#4 ·
In my experience Haynes manuals are barely good enough to start a fire with. All of the ones I have used have virtually no detail at all, so if toyu are not familiar with a certain engine/project you might want to look elsewhere. I subscribed to Alldata it's better but still not as complete as an actual factory manual, but they can be pretty spendy

#5 ·
This is gonna be a full teardown, with new pistons, rings, bearings,etc. Quite possibly new valvesprings, cam, injectors and a few go-fast goodies added in! Might as well do new glowplugs too. Are there any resources on-line with good details? Any specific printed? I only wanna do this once, so I wanna do it right!:bow:

#7 ·
Ask this in the performance section. You should get better responses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.