Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front suspension noise question...

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Jonesky 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2001 F250 SD 7.3. It's an EXT cab. 4x4 with 87k mileage

When going over speed bumps where you have a significant suspension articulation on the front end I get this groaning noise as the front end travels thru its suspension range. It is coincident with a large suspension movement and not heard normally. It does not sound like metal on metal but like something moving that doesn't want to or doesn't often. The only word I can think of is groaning or a soft crunching of a low frequency. It stops as soon as the truck is level again. What could that be? Is it the springs, or bushings, or what?

And it looks like the front stabilizer shock is slightly bent so I'll need to replace that as it gives a pop when backing up with the steering wheel hard over left. Thought I would replace all shocks as well since they're original. I guess we're all using Bilsteins these days?

It's a fun truck just put a Ford AIS intake on it and a MBRP 4" stainless exhaust and it sounds great and is fun to drive.

Thanks for any input...

#5 ·
You're probably right. I went to a wheeler shop and they said that the the PO had replaced one side and not the other. So I'm going to do them both and replace the bushings therein. I'll let you know if that fixed the noise. Also while they're in there I'll have them replace the oem shocks and steering stabilizer with some bilsteins.

Thx

#6 ·
OK, so after replacing both sway bar links and bushing kits on links and bar to axle, the inner tie rod end, all shocks and steering damper the truck is doing much better. No more groaning sound over bumps and directional control is much improved. Very pleased.

Now they left me with the diagnosis of the front leaf springs being worn. They say the new shocks will help with that but the wearing of the springs is causing a little axle twist as I brake. What should I see to tell me the front springs are worn? Should they be completely flat or slightly bowed up in the middle? And if so is it worth fooling with or not? Thought I would ask here instead of a new thread.

Also, how do we tell the difference between release of any axle twist and what I think is the torque converter locking on starting forward from a stop? Or is there any such animal? I'm not sure what's what on the little clunks I feel as she gets rolling.

Thx again.

#7 ·
Its ok for the front springs to be bowed up in the middle. Unless the springs are broken or one side sits at a lot different height than the other there probably is no problem with them.

If the truck has a two piece drive shaft, its splines can dry out and it will cause a pop or bang sensation ( no real nose though) when taking off from a dead stop.

Aaron

#8 ·
Thank you Aaron.

That's exactly it. Kind of a clunk or bump as you start to roll after releasing brakes. More felt than heard.

Is the only way to lube these splines to disassemble the axle? Probably everyone's SD makes these sounds but I just got this thing and I like to keep my stuff in tip top shape so slowly going thru my list.

#9 ·
Im assuming you meant drive shaft instead of axle, correct?

#10 ·
Im assuming you meant drive shaft instead of axle, correct?

Ive unbolted the rear section of the drive shaft from the axles pinion flange. Cut the clamp off of the protective boot, the rear clamp. removed the rear section of the shaft. Ford has a grease that is in a can and its the color of a smurf. I has lasted the longest for me. Multipurpose grease dosent seem to last to long.

Some dissasemble the shaft once and drill then install a grease fitting.

Aaron

#12 ·
Ok, it's looking like the all too common slip yoke, or what ever it is called, piece of gear. I have a 2 piece drive shaft, (Why? IDK.) and there is some sort of connection betwixt the two and when the grease is used up then clunking will occur as the driveshaft twists and the attending axles lurch forward and aft as power or braking is applied.

So apparently the one piece F350 drive shaft is a no go since it needs the one ton rear end and my truck is a 250 and so I need to lube the thing somehow and found link to a guy who has a pictorial on line on how to do. Anyhoo, I would like to add a grease fitting and it would be nice if there was a part for this as opposed to drilling and tapping. So that's where it lies.

#13 ·
There should also be a blue plastic coating on the male part of the splines. If it is worn off the drive shaft may need to be repaird or replaced.

Aaron

#14 ·
I guess that must be the teflon coating I read about.

If I tear the thing apart it sounds like I need to have a new drive shaft standing by as well as new ujoints since it's apart. I'll google up a manual test I can do to check the ujoints to see if this is a job worth doing. It's starting to seem like this might be a better left alone type issue since I might have to replace all these items might as well wait until they crater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.