Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

powerstroke 6.0 vs 7.3 torque curve

16K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  chappy 
#1 ·
I own both a 2006 6.0 and a 1999.5 7.3 Both have the usual bolt ons. I have the TS 6 pos chip for the 7.3. My 6.0 had a stock tune till recently got the SCT.

Does the 6.0 always lack in torque and snap under 2,000rpm? My 7.3 has torque instantly and is very snappy even starting at 1200-1300rpm.

My 6.0 doesn't until 2000rpm. I just put the SCT on and same deal but when it hits 2000 it surges with lots of power. The vanes are not stuck and producing boost..I know this also because I took my turbo apart when I did the 03 turbo.

Would this lack of sub 2000rpm power be due to the FICM having that newer tune and not the preferred tune from the 03's?

#3 ·
no doubt once it does get moving its leaps and bounds over my 7.3 It must be the stroke of the engine as well..since a 5.9 cummins is pretty much the same size as the 6.0 except with a much longer stroke it has lots of torque down low. Well I'm glad to know the differences now.

On the side note I guess that's why the 6.0 has a shorter first gear makes up for the lack of initial torque compared to the taller one in the 4R100

Thanks for the feedback

#5 ·
Not like a 7.3 though. My IDP tuned 6.0 still didn't get off the line towing or empty normal driving like a 7.3 will. Once it's rolling it'll walk all over a 7.3 though, driving or towing.

#6 ·
A tuned 6.0 will flat out stomp a stock 7.3 even off the line. Every 7.3 that I pull up next to where I live (at it seems like they are everywhere) gets left behind when I take off with 25-30% throttle. I guess unless you are talking about low end torque at speeds near idle then sure but at that speed who really gives a sh!t?? My 6.0 revs and spools about as fast as gas V8 so for what millisecond there is of lag is short lived and off I go. I am confused. I guess that's why you have a 6.4??

#9 ·
I had a GREAT running 6.0 that never once let me down in 4 years of ownership, so great that I loved them enough to sell it and buy a built one instead that turned me completely against them. That's why I went 6.4 this time around. I've had 1 7.3, 2 6.0s and this 6.4. I think the 6.0 is a great motor, just not modded heavy. If I had a choice for a daily truck to work it would be 6.4, 7.3 and then the 6.0 but thats just my opinion.

Also, your comparison of a tuned 6.0 vs. stock 7.3 is really irrelevant, I was talking stock vs. stock and tuned vs. tuned. That's like me saying my tuned 6.4 will crush a stock 6.0, no big surprise there lol.

#7 ·
I own both also and the 7.3 has a bit more grunt I agree stock vs stock.

But I am wondering still if you some sort of problem yet, I dont ever remember lag to 2000rpm in my 6.0. I did however in one I test drove last year when I was thinking of trading my 02. It was an 04 and I kid you not...i coulda got out and walked faster then it would cross an intersection when you matted the throttle from a dead stop, it even had lag when trying to powerbrake it.....so I didnt trade for it. Now my 06 has never been that way, it has slight lag from a dead stop but nothing major.

My 7.3 on 100 hp tune vs my 6.0 looney tune from dead stops...no powerbraking, the 7.3 will pull about 1 truck length right out the hole.....but then the 6.0 passes it back and leaves it waay behind....i would say,maybe 2 second lag at most...then it blows the tires off.

#8 ·
I think Stock for Stock, when towing heavy i would take the 7.3 any day. To me it seems the 7.3L handles a heavy load much better.

#11 ·
when I first bought my truck, it would lag forever. the dealership had been driving it around the lot and basically subjecting it to everything the 6.0 hates

I did a VGT re-learn when I replaced the batteries and I drove my motor like it's meant to be driven.

There is virtually no lag at all anymore. A completely night and day difference. I suggest you try the VGT re-learn if you haven't already

#14 ·
I agree, my 6.0 is a turd under 2000 rpm. That's around when it hits the top of its torque curve, so I don't think anything is "wrong" with it, that's just the way they are. Honestly my 5.9 cummins was much easier to just drive around town, it took way less throttle to keep up with traffic off the line.

#15 ·
The 6.0 is a turd at lower rpm compared to a 7.3. Stock for stock I would rather have a 7.3 any day for work. I get to drive 6.0's,7.3's,and a 6.4 at work and I would rather have the 7.3 everytime. I its that laggy though like you are describin then it could be a number of things from vains sticking,ficm voltage dropping,boost leak ect. Mines laggy due to the powermax and the banks intercooler piping. I really believe stock tubing would light my truck up faster. Biggest thing with a 6.0 when taking off tuned is less throttle is better and then roll into the throttle. I learned to do that and increase the take off by a lot instead of filling the intersection with smoke and going nowhere. i compare a 6.0 to a small block gasser. just doesn't have the balls till the rpms come up. A chipped 7.3 will burn the tires from a takeoff but falls on its face after where a 6.0 will come to life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.