Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Gear brands, and locker choices (ARB vs. Eaton)

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TANK'S 250 
#1 ·
Finally going to do gear swap, and I'm contemplating my traction aid options since I'll be in there for the R&P anyway.

How I use the truck: Daily driver in Texas, so no snow. Occasionally tow with it (boats, enclosed trailers, utility trailers, flat tow my Blazer), and off roading is generally limited to rough roads on a ranch. Ie, this isn't something I want to beat the snot out of and scratch to hell.

Since this is an Excursion, noise is a concern in terms of the gear choice. I'm going with 4.56 ratio, so that leaves OEM gears out of the equation. Pretty much looking at either Sierra or G2. Anyone have pros/cons on those brands?

As far as traction aids go, I would imagine a limited slip in the rear would be plenty given the fact that I will rarely put this thing in 4 wheel drive. However, lockers are like winches... a waste of money until that one time you need them. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the extra $1000 for front and rear ARBs is worth doing over just an Eaton in the back. I'm leaning towards yes, but someone talk me out of it you can. I've already got onboard air, so that's not an additional expense at this point. Plus, I like the fact that the ARB is not engaged at all until you want it to be...and then it is fully locked.

See less See more
#2 ·
id like to know as well going 4.56 gears as well

#4 ·
detroit true trac in the rear!! its what i have and love it!!

#5 ·
See if you can get a "lunch box" style locker for your axle. And as for gears Yukon is about the best on the market.

#6 ·
Never heard anything positive about lunchbox lockers. Plus, the carrier break is 4.10 on those axles. Going from 3.73 to 4.56 I'm going to have to replace the carrier anyway.

#7 ·
Very rarely use the ARB in the front of my sig truck. However...two days ago turning around on a road built this last winter (now spring here) and I should know better... MAN am I glad I have it.... middle of no where logging site all by myself, no Cell service no two way radio (no other guys working in the area). Just eased the truck into a road junction and the front end sunk up to the hub on one side FAWK Dang Keerap...passenger side 1/2 up the rim....turned in hubs flipped the switch....without it woulda been chains...packin logs and whatever I could find...or miles of walkin... My legs where shakin....I knew instantly upon that sinking feeling....Sorry for the ramble. So glad I have it for the occasional use. Is it worth the dough 99% of the time.... nope..... It's the 1 % that pays in spades...

Good luck with the purchase... as an alternative just do the front end.

jrc

#8 ·
Perfect example of why I'm thinking about going ARB front and rear. It's that one time you need them that you're extremely happy you got them! Thanks for your input.

#9 ·
New2diesel I'm making a thread later finsinshi g up the 4 link brackets.... So Yukon gears are best to get for these vehicles?

#13 ·
I'm not likely to see snow, but ice isn't unheard of around here so I'm pretty much sold on the set up you went with. ARB front and rear seems like the way to go. Thanks.

Anyone have more input on gear brands? West Coast Differential quoted me on Sierra gears when I said I didn't have a preference, and 4WP usually defaults to G2 gears when quoting (or at least the one I go to does). Just wanting to know if anyone has some input on quality and noise from either of those manufacturers, or if they have another suggestion. Thanks.

#11 ·
so if I'm in az and maybe every once and a while see snow but do lots of off roading to dirt bike and camping sports or to dunes what would you guys recommend get lockers or no

#12 ·
Yes. Lockers are better suited to offroad applications. I only use mine in the snow at slow speeds of if I just want to play around. Back end has a tendency to pass the front easily when the rear diff is locked and the throttle gets pushed a little too hard when the roads are slick.

#15 ·
Yukon all the way if you can not get a ford manf in the ratio you need. Hands down ford are the quietest but you are stuck between and I would never go over 4.56 in our axle 10.5s as the pinion is just to damn tiny so 4.88 are out. 4.30 is the next ford step down so Yukon it is if it were me.

#16 ·
As you noted, Ford doesn't have an OEM 4.56, and that's what I'm going with. Sounds like Yukon is the way to go. Thanks for all of your input guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.