Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Afghanistan Contractor job

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  gknott 
#1 ·
Hey Im interested in getting a job in Afghanistan contracting, I don't know too much about it but ive heard that overseas is in dire need of people (mainly welders). I want to learn more about it and hear some feedback from those that have been there. Because id like to do the work, just dont know the best way to get a job there.
Thanks

#2 ·
Check out Fluor, Dyncorp, or anything related to the MRAP program.

#5 ·
I would respectfully suggest you not get a government contracting job. I won't get into how the wars are illegal to begin with ;) but the money that you'd get paid would be coming from the money this country does not have. IE: debt.

Having said that, I'm paid the same way (Air Force)... but that's why I'm taking the moral high ground and getting out after having a change of heart from six years ago.

Just something to think about.

#6 ·
so all government contractors should just walk off the job? Im glad you had a change of heart... why dont you just go AWOL.... I hope youre not in a combat role..... if soo...please tell your commanders about your change of heart so they can properly discharge you..... the great part is...guys like you who dont even want to be in the service will use every single dollar of your GI Bill, every dime of unemployment, before getting a free pass to a good job, just because youre a vet.... before you reply, I was a Marine for 4 yrs, I served in a combat zone, and I currently am a consultant for the government... to the OP...get yours... just be careful, and dont blow all of your money.. I have friends who are over there and they blow every penny.....

#8 ·
but like i said...
i bet he takes full advantage of all the benefits.... because he thinks his half stepping azz deserves them.......shoot he will probably be able to get 20% from the VA because of the sand in his clit..

#9 ·
Your assumptions are wrong here, guys.

I did not say that all contractors should walk off the job. I simply gave my opinion to OP about taking a job. If he doesn't like my opinion, he's welcome to ignore it.

Why would I go AWOL? I'm still under obligation for a couple months, then this 6 year enlistment can be behind me. Going AWOL would be the dumbest thing I could do at this point, and it wouldn't really benefit me or anyone else now would it?

I'm not sure what being in a combat role really has to do with it. But since you mention it, I'm a bomb builder. To clarify from my earlier post- at this point in my life I do not want to be involved in helping to kill innocent women and children for the benefit of global agenda, Israel, oil, bankers, whatever.

I'm glad you think you know me so well, but you don't. I do NOT intend to "use every single dollar of my GI Bill". As a matter of fact, I consider the $1,200 pay-in to be long gone as I don't plan on going to school. I believe it's for all intents and purposes, a scam.

I do not intend to use "every dime of unemployment" as it would not be fair to have everyone else pay for me to not have a job. Also, I have not paid into any type of unemployment benefit. Therefore, I am entitled to receive none. Morally, that is.

Free pass to a good job, you say? I don't see that happening. Six years in the Air Force and a lowly secret clearance *may* look good to SOME employers but at the same time, I am far behind all the other vets over the last 10 years looking for work. Referring to the college scam, I don't think "good" jobs will be open to me. That's fine. I don't need excess.

F-250-Owner - Thanks for your service of four years. Just because you did what you did, and currently do what you do, does not mean that what I do is flawed or that it should be ridiculed in such a way. I would appreciate a little decency. None required, of course. That's your call.

Snake- You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, as well. I don't mind if you don't like me. Wish it were different, but it is what it is. I think if more people truly realized what is going on in the big picture of things these days, they would not think that people like me are "poison". Also, there are FAR more people like ME currently serving than you would think. Most just choose to keep quiet, and aren't so ready to give up the material things they have to fight for what's truly right. I won't say I blame them, they'll wake up when the time is right for them.

Again, F-250-Owner, you would lose on that bet.

To OP- Take my advice however you want. Throw it out. Whatever. Maybe you *should* take the job. Milk them for every penny. The more people doing that the merrier I suppose. That way the system can come crashing down faster and we can rebuild.

Take care, fellas. I only hope you can all wake up eventually and join me in the fight. There are things going on that are MUCH bigger than little arguments raised here.

#10 ·
Also, there are FAR more people like ME currently serving than you would think.
There's also a much larger number of folks in the service who believe we're doing things for the right reasons and willing to make the ultimate sacrifice trying to reduce threats to our country and our way of life. Don't think for one second you're in the majority.

#15 ·
I think it's BS how much they make, but I can't say I'd turn it down.
The base pay (40 hour week) is very similar to what you'd make in the states working. 7x12's = 44hrs of OT + the Army pays +70% uplift on the 1st 40 hours for haz duty/Fam sep. These #'s very per contract but most are in the ballpark. So you ARE earning the pay you make. You have no living expenses, but could be living in a 20 man army tent and will def be eating Army food...

The contracts to get into are the 3 months on/3 months off ones...

#17 ·
My uncle has worked in Iraq as a contractor, building towers. He only worked 6 months and came back with more money than he would have made over here in 3 years. Also worked in Brazil and all the money was tax free! Idk if Afghanistan is tax free, although I'm sure it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.