Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

what shocks for leaf sprung lifted excursion

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  1970something 
#1 ·
i have a 8" bds kit on my 2000 excursion. it rides piss poor as i would expect a leaf sprung vehicle to ride. has anyone had any good results from different shocks and if so what brand and valving. not sure if shocks will help or its just the stiff springs that keep me bouncing down the road.

#3 ·
I'd like to know as well. I have a 2002 crew cab dually with a 8" Superlift lift on it and it rides horrible. Been thinking about putting 8" Skyjacker soft ride springs under the front and putting flip shackles on the rear with a 4" block and putting the stock spring back in. The truck rode great stock. Just want to get close to the way it used to ride. With stiff springs I don't know that shocks will really make any difference at all. If the springs aren't flexing, there's nothing for the shocks to do. I'll bet you could take the shocks completely off and it would hardly change anything. Anyone have any experience with the soft ride springs?

#4 ·
half could be the springs..maybe the chocks are no good

i run rough country's on mine but the ride is still bad but it is only the stiff springs

is your lift a suspension lift?

#5 ·
is is a 8" bds kit suspension lift. the kit is about 4 yrs old with the standard bds shock.

basically im trying to get a smoother ride without linking the front and putting deavers out back. i'd like to be able to still tow my toys but if i want to cruise the back roads or dunes i wont kill my kidneys.

#6 ·
then most likely the shocks are wore out on it

maybe some fox's or bilsteins should do it

#7 ·
I used to have a bds 8 inch lift on my truck and swapped from the bds shock to dual fabtech shocks and it didnt make any difference. The way it bounced around I feel the leafs were just way to stiff. I dout any shocks could improve the ride of springs that just dont move.

You can always tell when a lifted truck has a rought ass ride when driving behind them. They hit bumps and it has a tight up and down bounce when hitting bumps, especially on the highway. Thats the way my truck always felt with the lift on.

If your truck is really walowy like a boat then shocks will help. That just usually dosent seem to be the case with front leaf springs.

Aaron

#8 ·
Its the Springs. The only way to get a better ride wouls be to get better springs. There are a few ways to go in the front. 8" Deavers ride very good. 6" Deavers with a 2" hanger will give you a fantastic ride. I have also heard the 4" Deavers with a 4" hanger ride great. The key to the front is getting a spring made with a lot of thin leafs so it flexes. Look at a Deaver compared to most other lift springs. I would look at the front 1st to see how that improves the overall ride. As far as shocks the ICON's are valved specific to a SD. KING and FOX also make a great shock you just need to get them valved correctly. If you are going to go Multiple then make sure they are valved to be run that way or you will double the stiiffness by running a pair that are designed to be single

#9 ·
just a idea if you can fund and do it do the 05-07 or new axle suspension swap

#10 ·
is the 05-7 suspension worth all that work though? if i was going to link the front i would make my own. which is always an option but i dont want another huge project right now.

hmmm.. deavers. anyone want to buy a really soft riding bds kit? lolol

#11 ·
#12 ·
Best ride quality will be a Hybrid kit using hangers and Icons..PM me if I can help you.

FYI...'08 up axles and a 4 link kit is the best way to go...getting ready to do my new '03 Exc.

Cary

#13 ·
The Bilstein 24-185462 shocks are perfect for your lifted excursion. Bilstein is the best brand that can make a shock so that you can buy it without any hesitation. It has a monotube design with a digressive piston which can give you a powerful performance. It comes with a lifetime warranty, So it's worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.