Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Muritic acid

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Super_Dirty_06 
#1 ·
I've read alot where people use muriatic acid to clean cooling system for marine engine also it's all types of engines as well. I remember my dad owned a heating and air business and he would use it to clean coils on peoples inside unit . Question is how would it work on a powerstroke

#2 ·
It would take ALOT of flushing out. Marine engines are not a closed system. A few minutes of running and they have put a lot of water through. Your truck would take a lot of fillup and drain cycles. What little you may not get out of the marine engine will flush the next time you go to the lake. What is left in your truck is there for the next 100,000 miles. Others may feel differently, but I just don't think I would do it.

#16 ·
Since around 2001 -2002 a lot of boat motors went to closed system. Both my motors (496 HO's) are closed cooling with a water to coolant heat exchanger.

Use the Restore, I used it last year and worked great. Bad news it took 26 gallons of water to get all the bad stuff out.

#4 ·
Muriatic aka Hydrochloric Acid acid is nasty stuff in undiluted/ diluted form ,,

don't play with it unless you know exactly how to handle it or spell it lol

,, and it won't do squat to oils and coolant sludge

that's why it comes in a plastic bottle and not a steel canister

#5 ·
If you have a swimming pool Muriatic Acid is used to reduce the Ph level of the water. If you think M/A is bad for your truck's cooling system think about swimming in it (albeit diluted, but still).

#6 ·
I'll keep that in mind next time I plan on swimming in my degas bottle.

Please don't tell me you're drawing an equal comparison to a system plumbed almost 100% in plastic and designed to withstand chlorine with the cooling system on a vehicle.

#7 ·
I had some mister system nozzles with brass bodies and stainless steel tips

the tips were a little clogged so I soaked them in Muriatic acid

a day later there were no more stainless steel inserts:doh:

So I guess it worked because they were definitely unplugged LOL

#8 ·
Well I gave it some thought and basically muriatic acid is not going in my ford And I remember last year when finished up a coal fired power plant in Virginia the cleaned the entire system with a degreaser / citric acid mix. They said when they were done the tubes and piping would look new.

#10 ·
If you wanna do a good flush Fleetguard makes a great flush system. You can get it at any Cummins dealer/distributor. I've used it many times and its a great product

#12 ·
Remembered what the Fleetguard stuff is called. Its Fleetguard Restore. Couldnt think of the name when I posted but I've used it extensively and would definately recommend it.

#14 ·
@ super dirty 06, there's Restore and Restore + . I used the restore when I flushed my system last year. I would recommend to anybody considering using Restore + to do some research, I mean a lot of research, as it breaks free a lot or metal flakes inside your engines cooling system which can/will clog your oil cooler. The restore is meant to break up the gelling of the gold crap.

#18 ·
Didnt know there was 2 different ones I just use what the parts dept hands me lmfao. Good lookin out. I defs still wouldnt let muratic acid touch my cooling sys. Maybe a quick dip for parts off the truck but that stuff cant be good 4 ur o rings n de-gas bottle and probably everything else it touches. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.