Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

38r compound setup?

7K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Noonman350 
#1 ·
I finally got my search button to work but couldn't really find what I was lookin for. Is anyone out there running a compound turbo setup using a 38r? I'm getting injectors, and a few other go fast parts and such in the next couple months and a compound set up is lookin pretty sweet.

#3 ·
Oh yeah I realize my rods are made from packets for koolaid, I've got that covered. Same with valve springs and head studs and parts like that. Injectors... I'm thinking like 275/200 or 300/200... It sees a lot of pulling and quarter mile stuff. I just love messing around with it. I would like to have my truck running about 600-700hp. I know I'll need a lot more stuff but that's just my long term goal..

#4 ·
You've got your work cut out for you. Plus you better have another vehicle to drive and have no real need to use the truck for anything purposeful as you're about to make it a time-consuming, headache-causing money pit. I been down the road, turned around and coming back i try to warn everyone trying to do the same thing i did. Go ride in a truck with 550hp and then reassess your goals. Im right at the edge of the all-in-one truck that can do anything and still turn heads at the strip high 12's and be semi-reliable without having to dump money and work on it every phuckin weekend. But if you're dead set on 600+hp we can surely put together a list

#6 ·
Start with a big fat bank account, you can shave some if you have major wrlding and fabrication skills.
otherwise id say 15k for 7oo hp out of a 7.3.
By the time rods,injectors,girdles,,compounds,,fuel,,tranny etc.
Thats pretty much just parts, and not a full list.

5oo easy, 6oo doable, 7 + gets expensive fast

#7 ·
I have another truck I can use while working on it. But let's do this. Let's say just 500-600 horse... What about that? Would I ( or could I ) still run a compound set up? Because they way you guy are talking... It just sounds like a pain in the ass...

#9 ·
Yes, look in my sig. Tried a few different things and happiest with what I settled on. I was toying around the idea of compounds just to have the cool factor but the 66 im running does alot more than I could ever ask for out of a $800 turbo. It's not worth the downtime and moving of stuff under the hood to put another turbo for just a liiitle bit more down-low response and completely cleaning up 80% nozzles which it almost does as it is. But if you need two turbos go with a small 60mm ish secondary with a big ass 80-88mm feeding it.

Keep in mind compounds would put you in exhibition at the pulls, or WAY out of your league, most modified classes run a 2.6 (66mm) or 2.8 (71mm) compressor inducer

Btw I calculated between 530 and 560hp with the HP calculators based on ET and trap speed

#10 ·
Alright I'll take a look at that. And you said like a 66mm an a 80-88 mm feeding it? That's where the 38r could come into play right? Cause I'm still lookin into it... Do you know any set ups on the forum that have pics I could look at to see where I could fit them in under the hood?

#14 ·
Tuning I wont change for anything I absolutley love it plus its mail-order stuff. The cam didn't do much to the daily driver type of driving, but it defanitely helps when towing, as he said. A properly matched responsive turbo also helps. When im towing (water on mind you) the temps seem to hang between 850 and 950 when I look up and expect to see something dangerous on the gauge. Its basically just a piece of the puzzle but if you want a great running truck you gotta have them all

#16 ·
Im not sure if it changed the sound of the truck from the cam alone, but combined with the headers it sounds phuckin sick, just pissed off sounding when I really lay into it and it rips.

the cam is one of those things that kind of hides under all the other mods the truck has but plays a definite role, it makes the most out of the tolerances stock pistons and rockers give, the stock cam works well but Matt claims this works better. I would have to guess my truck's performance would go down if I were to put a stock cam in. It also helps move the air in and out of the cylinder more efficiently, lowering backpressure and boost

#18 ·
S362,366,38r / gt 4788 or s483/s488 is about as good as it gets for a street truck/drag/dd truck

#22 ·
*local not logo

#25 ·
I couldn't find any pics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.