Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I got JACKED! (Tailgate)

13K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  14SilverPlatinum 
#1 ·
Well, Good Friday was not so "Good" for me. Woke up to head to the lake Friday morning and notice that my tailgate was gone.

It was stolen while the truck was sitting in my front driveway. I got home Thursday night around 11pm and then I walked outside Friday morning around 8am.

Tailgate had all the goodies on it too (Camera/Step).

Its Oxford White.

If anyone in the Houston/Dallas/SE Texas/Sulphur area comes across one thats being sold, hit me up. Im going to get another one, but will still give a finders fee ($100-$200) if someone finds it.

It does have a sticker on it from the dealership. (picture below) to help identify it (if the dumb *** that stole it leaves it on there). Number on the sticker is SS 594892.

Thanks for the help guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate fukking thieves, they all should die a slow miserable death.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#5 ·
I could not say it any better.

i always keep mine locked for that reason
Well I had mine locked (the handle lock), but that didnt stop them. I guess they punched it with a screwdriver like the door handles. Im gonna have to do something more creative like bolt the support cables. Anything to slow them down or deter them and make it not seem worth it to take.

#8 ·
this happened at the dealership where I bought my truck a few months prior. truck was new sitting in the service lot waiting to be put on the sale lot and it got jacked as well.

#9 ·
They sell tailgate locks that go onto the hinge part that slides out. I'll be investing in one when I replace my tailgate. I'm in the Dallas area and have been looking for one so if i see it on Craigslist I'll let you know.

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that about your tailgate man, i've noticed a sharp rise in thefts espeically of super duty parts, here at the dealership in Corning (CA) they had 13 super dutys broken into and a mustang and stole the GPS/DVD systems out of it. Just miserable ####### thieves.

#12 ·
I have heard that you can put a hose clamp around the the side that pops out and it makes it alot harder to steal.....

#18 ·
Sucks man. I've got an 08up tailgate on my truck and of course since its not for that truck I worry about not being able to lock it. I don't even know how to go about it. I have had my tailgate stolen off my old truck like 10 years ago and I seen the kids driing away and recognized them. Went outside and seen the tailgate was gone. I got dressed and went to there house a mile down the road. I never hit the brakes when I went in the driveway and plowed into his pickup. Never seen people run so fast. My Ford was lifted and theres wasn't so It smashed the hell out of there truck and just tweaked my bumper. Kid had to get a whole new box not to mention I took a baseball bat to the box after i got out. They just asked me to please take my tailgate back and leave. They didn't even want to call the cops but I did. I called them and told them I hit the gas on accident instead of the brakes. I didn't get in any trouble but they came and arrested the kid and his dad payed me $1000 to drop the charges and made his kid appologize to me.I told the kid if I caught him stealing again what happened to his truck was gonna happen to him. Never had a problem again. I also of course got my tailgate back un harmed. It was sitting in the back of the truck still that I smashed. So sometimes thieves get theres just sucks you didn't get so lucky.

#19 ·
i love this story, sounds like something id of done, especially to a theif!

#21 ·
I keep mine locked, Jimmie Jammer plate behind the latch and the gate keeper installed. They would really have to want mine if they were successful considering the alarm was going off too.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices

#23 ·
There is a trick with a radiator hose clamp, which would slow them down, you put it on the hinge,, where the opening is, then when they lift and pull, it won't come off...

#25 ·
Got my tailgate jack little over a week ago went to watch the hockey game parked out by itself with security driving around come out and it was gone it had step and cam and it was oxford white . turned it into the insurance company and sent it over to the body shop bill is almost 5k when all said and done and that was for an oem takeoff tailgate.

#26 ·
That sucks mab im sorry to hear that. A quick cheap way to permalock them is to hose clamp the hinges with the bolt or screw facing downward, thats how I did mine and hVe never had a problem.

Chad

#27 ·
ya the body shop told me same thing that will be done this time

#28 ·
I believe that some have put a heavy duty radiator hose clamp on the side with the slot, won't completely stop them, but if it takes longer to do, and maybe makes more noise, it may deter them......

#29 ·
Do thieves bring tools to remove the cables off the tailgate, or do they just cut them? On older tailgates, I remembered those supports as being easily removable (use to be metal straps that you could just slide off), but now it looks like they would need a torx bit to remove those steel cables, or they would just have to cut them?

The Tuffy tailgate device reuses the OEM bolt (a torx style), so they could still make off with your tailgate if they brought a torq bit with them, but I guess it would slow them down.

I'm just thinking if they routinely just cut the tailgate cables (or plan on sliding them off?) and didn't bring the torx bit, then the Tuffy device would be great.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.