Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone ever use XRF ball joints? How tough to swap?

9K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave R 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I checked my ball joints after hearing a slight squeal when turning and I thought it was my spindle. Turns out it's my upper and lower on the drivers side and I want to replace them all now just because. I see some cheapo $35 sets for all four but don't think I even want to try that. I've read pretty good reviews from Dodge guys about the XRF sets and was wondering about anyone in a Ford running them? They seem pretty dturdy and at $150 a set, I can't complain.

Do I have to press the joints out of the housing or will they bang out fairly easy after taking off the spring clip? Just wondering what is needed to do this in my garage or driveway.

Thanks guys
Dave

#3 ·
there is a way to get the axle seals out without harm ,, but on an 03 if you have an operating ESOF hub you probably want to change them anyway along with the unit bearing seals and pull the ABS sender and get some grease into the Unit bearing ,, this isn't a job you do without some research ,,you can make a tool to re seat the seals but you also have to know how far to seat it ,, google will be your Friend

#10 ·
Superior....uh...not even close..

XRF...

Dynatrac.....rebuildable...far superior.

High strength billet steel and heat treated bodies.
Super strong chromoly steel, heat-treated stems.
Fully greaseable on the truck.
Heat treated, precision ground stainless steel ball conforms to Military specifications.
Teflon coated internal wear points.
Fully-adjustable cup support protects against severe road impacts.

#7 ·
Will the knuckle seals be the same as the ones I pull off? If so, they should be installed in the same place right?

I'm sold on the joints by the links and testimonials listed here, but I want to be sure the seals won't be an issue. I'll replace them as well and I'm going to end up with some mile markers eventually so that's not an issue. I can pull the hubs and now have access to a press.

Thanks for all the support.
Dave

#8 ·
seals will be the same but unless you use the real install tool and not the home made pipe version you need to record where the seal sits on the axle and how far into the housing
from what I read ,, mine is a little different being an 05 up ,, but when I did my research most info was for your style

also they have a new improved axle dust seal that you may want to look into ?

#12 ·
Sorry Tank. I've seen them and knew about those of you that used them. I'm an E7 with a single income and 3 kids that eat like Pirahana. Can't afford overkill. If the XRF's are at least factory spec or better, they are perfect for me with my budget and need. I'd love to go all out but can't do that much anymore.

I'm going to order the joints and get the 2 seals while I'm at it and attack both sides while I'm at it.

Thanks all for the links and the info. Tools are available and I know I can do this. Seal seating is my only concern but I'll attack it when I hit that point.

Dave

#13 ·
LOL...I hear ya...gotta do what's best for you

BTW- I'm an E6 with 5 ex-wives, total of 8 kids, and my father lives with me....LOL

....saving money is damn near impossible...but when you want something bad enough...you work extra jobs, you do whatever you can(legally) to get what you WANT...not need...hahaha.

#14 ·
I built too many "hot rods" and this can't be one, or I'll follow you with my first X wife. Not gonna happen here after 15 years of marriage. I'm about to retire and she's the only one that'll put up with my ####. Gotta keep her! I have other toys for the family. This truck just pulls them for now.

Oh, two words.......Condoms and Hookers. You have got to be doing something under the table for money or eat alot of Ramen to afford child support (and potential alimony)of that magnitude. That or everything's in dad's name ;) My god man!

#16 ·
Dooohhhh!!

I just ordered a set of the XRF's for $119 from the tire club. Now looking for the seals.

#18 ·
seals are probably best from the ford vender on here at 25% off and free ship

I think yours will accept the new dust seal that goes in the axle tube vs shaft one that always falls off

then u want two yellow esof seals and the unit bearing vac seal

r u sure your want to delete your auto hubs they also have some o rings and bolt kit but you can skip that if your going to ditch them ?

#20 ·
I'm going to go back to stock and do everything as factory for now and just swap over when they go bad. I have new hub assembly seals since my one I just replaced came with 4 new ones for some reason. Getting the knuckle seal and outer dust seal for both sides as well. I have the 4 bolt and nut kits from Ford for the hubs. $8 each!!!!!

That all with the tool rental for the seal and the joint replacement, is there anything I'm needing?

Thanks
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.