Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Found a 38r on craigslist for $600 got a few questions

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  NE-STROKE 
#1 ·
Like the title says found a 38r on craigslist for $600 bucks. My buddys in need of a turbo so were gonna go check it out wondering what to check besides shaft play. Heres the link if you guys could help thatd be great thanks.

gtp38r garrett turbo powerstroke

#2 ·
Inspect the compressor wheel for dings and nicks. Looks like he used a 6637 filter so it should be ok. Do check for in and out play. It will have a little up and down play. Thats a good price. Make sure you get the intake boot for it.

#5 ·
Sorry I read it wrong. I thought it was the pedestal O rings that blew out. If it was the seals in the turbo pass on it.

#6 ·
No it was supposedly the o ring on the pedestal. My concern would be if it was pissing out the o ring not allowing oil to get to the turbo running the turbo dry of oil making the seals in the turbo messed up

#7 ·
If it was puking oil out bad enough to starve turbo I would guess the motor would not run long enough to cause damage. I personally dont think its worth the risk.

#9 ·
Sounds good. Inspect the up pipe donuts while your in there.

#10 ·
Do any of you guys know what a turbo seal looks like?

The condition described in the ad is caused by too much oil at the turbo shaft. High crankcase pressure slows the oil draining from the turbo. When the cavity gets full of oil the crankcase pressure pushes some of it past the sealing rings.

#11 ·
Isnt the return port bigger then feed? I do know what a turbo seal looks like.

#13 ·
You have two o rings in between the turbo the pedestal. One for the feed oil and the others a return line. The ones in the pedestal rarely blow out cause they have no where to go.

#16 ·
The turbo shaft seals are not positive seals. They are metal rings similar to piston rings. They depend on oil draining away from them to prevent them from leaking. If they are standing in pressurized oil they will leak.

I don't know if that turbo is any good or not. But it is possible for it to be good and leak under the condition described.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.