Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

06 F350 jerks on hills at highway speed

16K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  ksieckmann 
#1 ·
I posted this on the transmission section first and was told it is not a trans issue. Stopped in to the dealer that did all the previous work today after driving 2 hours on the way home from a trip. Truck still bucked and jerked all the way. They put it on the scanner and there are not any codes. Said if it bucks twice it will throw a code. I also found out it has a new fuel pump when the heads were done. Any ideas?

I just bought an 06 F350, FX4, 6.0, CC, LB, with 325/65/18 tires, a couple weeks ago. I've only put 600 miles on it, it has 116,000. Right before I bought it, it had: head studs, Ford head gaskets, all 8 injectors, EGR cooler, all done by a Ford dealer where the truck was bought new and serviced. I checked the transmission fluid before we brought it home, and it was red, and maybe 1/2 qt low. I have not checked it on this trip. It ran fine all the way home, but it was flat ground. And now on a trip to Missouri, in the hills, with the cruise on, it kind of bucks and jerks, as the cruise is trying to maintain the speed at 70 mph. I can make it do it without the cruise by trying to maintain the speed up the hill. If I just ease up the hill and loose some mph by the top, I don't have this problem. Only when the cruise is trying to maintain the speed, or I try to maintain the speed, does it do it. The tach does not change when this is going on. Depending on the size of the hill, it will do it one time, maybe twice. If it does it twice in one hill, I turn the cruise off and run it myself and let it loose a little speed. I plan on towing a 14,000 lb boat so I'd like to get this resolved before then. I have not changed any filters of any kind yet, that's this coming week. Can anybody tell me which Mercon and where to get it? I've read it's only available from Ford, unless you run something like Amzoil. I have a Scangauge 2 hooked up but have not checked for codes yet. I do not have CEL showing.
Thanks,

Steve

See less See more
#4 ·
I have the same issue with my 6.0 , I'd love to hear some ideas on this topic!

#8 ·
Yep, 8 new injectors. Also just found out Monday they did a new fuel pump, dummy plugs, high pressure coupler along with all the other items, $7207 worth. The oil was changed 800 miles ago when all the work previously mentioned was done. I plan on doing oil and filter soon and switch to Rotella T6. It does not smoke at all.....have not pulled anything with it yet.

The truck runs good at all speeds....except up a hill when you accelerate to maintain speed.

I find it hard to believe that something isn't throwing a code?

I can pull the EGR once I read how to do it. Thanks for all the input.

Steve

#11 ·
if you told me this problem, without telling me what vehicle it was, my first thought would be a catalytic converter that is starting to get clogged. ive had a couple diff vehicles do the exact same thing..just a thought

#13 ·
Pulled out the EGR today. It had some soft greasy carbon deposits on it. Just a light coating actually and a light coating in the intake. Cleaned the valve with brake cleaner making sure to not get anything in the 2 holes on the sealing flange. Cleaned what little I could from the intake. Reinstalled it and won't be able to drive it until Tuesday when I get the front end aligned after putting on a new drag link. I'm thinking with what little was on the valve I have a different part causing my jerking issue. I'll report back after driving it.

#15 ·
You have a bad injector. Get someone who has a snap on scanner and do a balance test while driving it in the conditions that cause the issue. I would bet you have one injectors that will drop out under load. So that they are new but have seen new injectors being bad. Or you have a cam problem.

#16 ·
My truck does this too but it has become noticably worse. 2 months ago it would only jerk once or twice while locked in 5th gear. Now 80% of the time in 5th gear my truck is stumbling/shaking/jerking. It is so bad that its hard to accelerate in 5th gear, maintaining my speed is aggervating enough. Any imput on my situation? Im using extreme street as my dd. Ive put it back to stock but i still have this problem

#17 ·
Had almost the same thing happen with a faulty VGT solenoid. Take the Tech for a test drive and have him watch the PIDs. Then if it starts up have him lock out the VGT. That will tell you if that is truly the problem. Mine only happened pull long grades under load. The VGT would start going wacky! Replaced it and now it is all good.

Also if you still have a EGR cooler you need to get that out of there.

#18 ·
even though the valve is clean it could still be hanging up. If you don't have access to AutoEnginuity the dealer can look at the valves using IDS. some of the valves they would look at are commanded values and actual valves and see if the two match up. A question I have is if your out crusing say 55-65 and go WOT does it down shift and go or sputter or lag a bit before down shifting?

#21 ·
U235a4

"even though the valve is clean it could still be hanging up. If you don't have access to AutoEnginuity the dealer can look at the valves using IDS. some of the valves they would look at are commanded values and actual valves and see if the two match up. A question I have is if your out crusing say 55-65 and go WOT does it down shift and go or sputter or lag a bit before down shifting? "

I have not actually tried to do a WOT test like you mention. I will do that and report back.

I have not given up on the recomendations of a bad injector. I'm going to the dealer in a the next few days and see what I can have them tell me. The truck is tied up now getting tires and the front end aligned since I replaced the drag link and a tie rod end. It's a flat no hills road to their shop.
Thanks

#22 ·
Question guys.. I just bought an 06 f250 and I need some ideas on how to make some power.. I have a SCT tuner on it and it runs great but I've also heard that without an Egr delete and head studs and oil cooler it would have a greater chance on popping a head.. I wanna try the air hog fuel system and meth injection.. I'm on a budget so I'dike someone to list a few things I could do to get the power.. Oh and also it only smoke for a sec when I get on real hard

#25 ·
Ran the truck today and it seems to still do it. Not many "good" hills here like MO has. Stopped at the Ford dealer and they have a Matco scanner and would scan it but with no CEL on they said it doesn't have a code stored. I'm going to check with the guy who works on my other vehicles and see what he has for a scanner. The IPR was mentioned earlier also and I see I can monitor that with my Scangage. Will that tell me anything, if so what numbers should I be looking for. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.