Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

drag link adjustment

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gnxtc2 
#1 ·
when I bought my new tow rig the front end was very loose. in fact so loose I was afraid to drive it up the road. so anyway I replaced the ball joints and both ends of the drag link and everything is tight now, however it pulls hard to the right. is it possible the drag link (the piece that goes from the pitman arm to the tierod) just needs to be adjusted. or should I just go in and have it aligned. I have no idea if it was pulling before I did the work to it.

Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds as though your camber is off. But with a solid axle, that means either you have bad ball joints or the axle is bent

Toe will not make it pull one way or the other. If toy have it toed in it will get darty. If it is toed out, it will wander.

Also, check you brakes and make sure the ones on the right are not draging

#3 ·
I am pretty sure too that the tow is good. witch was is caster and witch way is camber I can never remember :doh: I think there are adjustments to the top ball joints but I was carefull not to change that. my thoughts about the drag link was it is what centers the front end with the steering gear and maybe the gear thinks it is trying to center itself but is actually makeing the front end turn to the right.

#7 ·
Toe can be checked by measuring the distance between the tires at the front and at the back of the front tires. They will be equal if correct.

Camber is when the top of the tire leans in or out. Just think of the STUPID F250 and how their tires do that crap. If it is out you will get a pull and it will wear tires

Caster. Think of a motorcycle and how the forks lean back. The more it leans back, the more caster you have. Same thing with a truck. If you do Not have enough caster you will get death wobble and also no wheel return.

#5 ·
there is a short coupler between the two ends that you can turn to adjust it.

#8 ·
Adjusting the draglink is not going to change your alignment, it just centers the steering wheel.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.