Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

River city diesel torque converter review

11K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  snopro_69 
#1 ·
I installed my rcd converter today to replace my precision industries unit with bearing issue. I wanted to change and only be down a few hours rather than seven days or better because of shipping and repair and shipping. I enjoyed my precision unit but being a junky for toys I thought I would try something different and either sell my precision unit or have it as a back up.

Started at 9:30 and had running at 3:30 so it is a good full day worth of wrenching. On to the important stuff

I ordered the rcd unit last wed or thurs and it was delivered yesterday to Jackson ms this is my first experience with rcd but was very pleased with the turn around time on getting me my crack.

I ordered the 1600 stall unit. The shifting is great to me as far as what point in the rpm range it is shifting gears now. I felt like the stock stall was a little later than I wanted. I think somewhere between the 1600 to 1750 would be perfect for daily driving which is all i do and haul heavy crap around. I have not really beat on it as I was letting it get used to being in my truck for a dAy or two, but I plan on reporting back results for mpg and overall impression after a few days of mixed use.

I am running Kem 345 tune with it and will try my spartan tunes as soon as I can get tire size adjustment for the 37" ers

So far I am very pleased and think we will have a wonderful life together.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well it may be I was unaware I do know that it feels different as fas connected to the transmission and the lower stall is great compared to my old pi unit. Only difference visually was different paint color

#7 ·
Well I have two full days driving the new lower stall pi /rcd converter and I am very pleased. I spend some days driving around town checking job sites and love it today I ran some places and then had to hook up my gooseneck trailer and haul 14,000 pounds out to the job site real quick and the converter was good. The change in stall speed has meshed with my tuning really well to the point my wife was riding truck tonight for first time and asked me if I had done something to it.

#8 ·
Sound like its a good setup for a torquey diesel. I read somewhere that a stall speed of 500-750 rpm lower than the peak torque rpm is the best. It was about hotrod gassers but I would think its a similar principle for diesels. Modified diesels make peak torque at 2200-2300+ rpm so a 1600 rpm stall speed is in those lines of thinking.

#10 ·
The lower stall one Jeff?? (1600) Let us know!!! Going to also be getting one

#13 ·
Anymore reviews on this??? Looking at pulling trigger right away... Would the 1600 stall still be fine for pulling a 9-10K travel trailer??

#15 ·
Have you done any 4 wheel drive launches with it yet Jeff? Just curious how it comes out of the hole with the lower stall. Is there a noticable difference going through the gears at say 1/4 throttle?

#17 ·
Totally agree wit wat Jeff said. Got my 1600 stall in and fully rebuilt tranny with suncoast. I love how it feels. It has way more pull outta the hole with the lower stall. Gotta hold the brake lil more at a stop. But feels like the 210 pulls outta the hole like my 275 or 300 used too. I'm loving it. Can't wait to try the higher tunes once I break er in for a bit. Towing my 10k trailer on Sunday. See how that goes.

#18 ·
would this be a good idea on a stock tranny? or is it just going to tear the stock tranny up faster? i tow a 32' gooseneck at times and tow small trailers and run empty quite a bit as well also like to take it to the track every now and then.

#19 ·
Lots of people run our converters on a stock trans. As long as its good, run till it goes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#22 ·
I'm going with 1600 stall with my 6.0. I think the lower stall is better since the engine makes more torque down low. What I notice with the stock stall is after getting a good launch or take off in the later gears with the converter slipping and hanging in the higher RPM there is less power being put down vs when its locked it just pulls like a train. First is the power loss through the act of slipping and less efficiency 2nd is the fact the amount of available torque at 4000 is surely less then in the sweet spot lower RPM's of the engine. Peak torque of a 6.0 and 6.4 are both at 2000RPM.

High stall is the gas engine way of thinking since high HP engines make their power up top so you want to stay in the power band. Also this allows them to get up to their power band sooner when taking off from a stop or power braking.

Lastly a torque converter stall speed is affected by the power band of the engine and rear end gear ratio because of the load/resistance it gives the engine and trans. At a stock power and stock converter is designed to have a stall speed is around 1800RPM. But after a tune and other mods there is a ton more low end torque that will then over power the converter and probably pushing the stall 2000 or 2100rpm more heat and more loss of efficiency. So I'm thinking with the 1600 it should bring everything back in line with a tuned stock turbo truck. Sorry for the long Rant!

#23 ·
Good rant hahaha. All I can say is that its unreal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.