Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Light duty air brakes?

16K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Joshbaker 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard of a light Duty air brake system for a f350? I know the f650 can has them as an option and it's a "mid duty" but I heard somebody say thy they had seen a 350 with air. Any ideas how u could run air????

#2 ·
It can be done. No reason you couldnt. But then you run into legality issues. Most states require you get an air brake endorsement on your license. Not a big deal though.

#3 ·
Yea but that's only if it's over a certain weight. I'm in the fire Dept. And our type 3 forestry truck has air brakes, but is under the weight limit! I asked the local highway patrol and they said it's still classified as a c license even with the air brakes. (I live in California)

And I also found out numerous ways to run air brakes on my truck shortly after posting this thread haha:doh:

#4 ·
What kind of engine is your type 3? The ones we have around here are all class B trucks. They are international trucks.

I know it wouldnt be a class b just because of the brakes, but they might still make you take the air brakes test. Dunno though.

#5 ·
It is an older international (my iPhone won't let me paste the pic) but yea I'm pretty sure u still have to take the air brake test

#6 ·
Why do you need air brakes on a pickup truck?

#8 ·
I think it would be pretty hard to get the abs to work if you wanted to retain that

#10 ·
there is an air brake endorsement for a CDL but not license

#12 ·
regular license

#14 ·
I realize now that you are correct, there is no air brake endorsement, although you do have to take a separate air brake test. However, if you fail to pass this test you would end up with a restriction on your license to non-air vehicles.

#16 ·
and actually abs is not hard to wire up into an airbrake system, alot of the trucks are coming with it factory now pretty cool stuff watching it work, even cooler when they are running the air disk, get about 5-9 pad slap ons before you even turn the rotors.

#17 ·
Hmmm..... This is an interesting idea. As for air bake endorsement. Well my GOV license says air brakes but I really don't count it unless driving military stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.