Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Boost builders

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
I have 99.5psd and I've been looking everywhere for a boost builder for a 7.3. All I find is for a 6.0. Does one not exist

#2 ·
WTF is a boost builder?

#14 ·
:whs:

Back in the old days we called that fuel. Only way I know how to build more boost.
:whs:

More Boost? More fuel!

More fuel...More boost!

Funny how that works...:doh:

And another thing:

The common misconception: The waste gate limits boost. Well it does, but for a reason...

The waste gate PROTECTS THE TURBO FROM OVERSPEED. That's it. This is "Turbo-101".

Boost pressure is directly related to compressor speed. If you overboost (particularly a stock turbo), you are also overspeeding it. That is why the wastegate is connected to, and senses boost pressure. When the pressure reaches a predetermined limit, the gate opens to control the pressure and LIMITS THE COMPRESSOR'S SPEED.

I always get a kick out of people trying to push the "TurboMaster" wastegate "controller". They're BS! You can't properly control the turbo (with a wastegate) if the gate is sensing exhaust back pressure (which the "TurboMaster" does). The proper method of wastegate control is by sensing Boost. End of story...

Goodnight, and don't forget to tip your waitress...

#3 ·
Tells your Turbo to spin faster. Plug it in your map sensor

#5 ·
Sounds like something that dicks with the VGT...

7.3 does not have a VGT turbo.

About the only thing you can do like that is to unplug the wastegate.

#4 ·
Mean a boost fooler?

#6 ·
Yea it is, doesn't cause it to spool faster it just cancels your turbo telling the truck to stop fueling allowing for more boost

#7 ·
more egt's

#8 ·
#10 ·
Copy that Google it though they list products as boost builders

#12 ·
A manual boost builder can be hooked to waste gate actuator. Lets an adjustable amount of air pass out to keep waste gate closed (I believe)

#13 ·
if you exceed the capacity of the turbo all you are building is heat without any power gain

#15 ·
Well thanks for the info but I'm gunna give it a shot. Xtreme diesel has a new after market Turbo wheel, boost fooler and a banks waste gate actuater for about 250. And in my defense about the term "boost builder" I found several websites listing a boost builder for cummins duramax and stroker 6.0 but not a 7.3. I appreciate the feed back gents.

#17 ·
Your gonna give it a shot for 250.00 and they don't have one for a 7.3 ??

#16 ·
#18 ·
I would go with the boost builder I listed the turbo wheel for xdp for 75$... i have it, it works good

#19 ·
#21 ·
I went to the part store got a small air pressure regulator put a gauge on it hooked it to an air compressor set it at 17 pounds put it in the boost line going to the map sensor unhooked the waste gate plugged the line wired the waste gate shut makes 32 pounds of boost installed a ATS ported shroud compressor housing to stop the surge don't waste your money on a wheel pm if you want some pics or more info

#23 ·
dirtyboy is correct a wicked wheel is going to create less boost, more whistle. Also theres no such thing as a boost fooler...or builder...too much internet and ebay reading for some of you guys. If you want more boost get more fuel and more turbo..otherwise your pissing in the wind.

#25 ·
#27 ·
Can we please call it by its proper name Boost or Pressure regulator even Boost Fooler is in part properly descriptive. But it is not a boost builder!?! That is what a turbo or supercharger is. If anything the device in question is technically the opposite of said term i.e a boost limiter in function.

If we are talking a stock turbo anything past 25 psi is not only a waste but a negative for power and will kill your turbo much quicker. I think if you look at where the stock sensors limits boost and backpressure it tells the expected ratios. Look at where Ford/IH has the limits set on defueling from either the pressure readings MAP sensor (boost) or the EBPS ( drive pressure) it shows where the boost: drive ratios are at that point. 22 psi for boost and 28.8 drive pressure. As you go up from there in boost psi, drive psi skyrockets as both the turbine and compressor are outside their maps. IIRC 17psi boost is where its 1:1 ratio B:D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.