No Signal To The Glow Plug Relay - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
lovesdunes
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

No Signal To The Glow Plug Relay

I searched for a while but can't find the answer.

I thought my glow plug relay went out so I replaced it. I used a test light and found that the one side that is always hot is hot. But the side that should get hot when I turn the key to the on position never gets hot. Like a dummy I did not bother to check anything else and bought a new relay. I figured it was old enough. But after putting in the new relay it still does the same thing.

So I got out my volt meter to check the small terminals on the relay and they never get any power to them. All of my fuses under the hood seem to be fine. Not sure exactly what fuse is in control of the relay.

In the morning I have to pop the hood and use a screwdriver or whatever to jump the relay. For the rest of the day it starts fine. Would be nice not to have to crawl around the truck in the morning.
1997 F-350 4x Crew Cab Long Bed, John Woods Transmission, National Leaf Springs, Custom RSK, DIY E-Fuel, Rosewood Stage I Single Shot Injectors, 17* HPOP, Intercooler, 4" Exhaust, Detroit Lockers Front and Rear, Studded Rear Hubs, Layers of Dynamat Extreme inside

333,000+ Miles
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
excavator
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: No Signal To The Glow Plug Relay

one small wire should get power when key is turned on. I would double check the fuses with ohm meter. The other small wire grounds the relay from a signal from PCM and then ungrounds it to turn glow plugs off

e99 f350 cc/lb drw php hydra plus Tony Wildman tune

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
ajfetterman
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I too would like to know what the fix is. I had the same issue and blamed it on the relays, I bought 4 before I figured it wasnt the relay. I ended up putting a switch inside the cab to ground out the relay for the PCM. I would like it to work correctly but that was a quick easy fix to get me through winter.

I was told it is either the wire from the PCM or the PCM isnt sending the signal (grounding out) with the key. I cant find any broken wires and Im not sure if a PCM reflash would fix it or a whole new PCM would be the fix.
~Andy~

Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
excavator
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Double check fuse 22 under hood
If relay is not getting grounded from PCM then the diode in PCM burnt out and if the small wire on relay is not getting power when key is on then double check fuse 22
Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
ajfetterman
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

So if fuse 22 is good then the PCM needs replaced?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
lovesdunes
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Fuse 22 is the fuse that also controls the fuel heater in the bowl?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM
ajfetterman
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdunes View Post
Fuse 22 is the fuse that also controls the fuel heater in the bowl?
I think you are right. Seems I have checked that fuse before and it was fine. So I might be down to a new PCM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
excavator
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Double check fuse 22 for power and double check that one small wire on relay has power when key is on. If one small wire has power than the other small wire gets grounded from PCM unless PCM diode is burnt

If no power at all to one small wire fuse 22 is bad or bad wire
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
ajfetterman
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Happen to know what the ohm reading should be? or does any reading mean it is ok? Like I said I think I need a PCM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
lovesdunes
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Fuse 22 is ok. My electric pump gets power from the old fuel heater.

No power to any of the small wires. I will try to check the wires and make sure there is nothing wrong between there and the PCM. If the wires are good then I guess it's PCM time.

I did have the PCM out not too long ago when I swapped out my split shot injectors to single shot. But everything was fine for a few months after I swapped all of that out.

Do both of those small wires go to the PCM?

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 131
02-7.3, 11perry, 1978psd, 19stroker97, 7.3L F-250, 95f350powerstroke, 95powersmoker, 97CCLB410LS, 97stroker5, airfish2011, Airstreamer67, ajfetterman, Arcturus, bigbearpowerstroke, biggin, BigHoss97, bigred1997, BillMcIntire, billystroker, bknight187, BlkNTan, bpa658, Bradbilt, Bugman, Bulldog, c.a.r.transportllc, CCF350, cervan, Choupique108, chris horst, cobrabc1993, CRZCNDN, csilvers1984, c_ratkovec, dag4566, darkside708, DaveBey, Derailed, diesel78, dieselvrgn, Dirt_99, doubledoor, drake162, dsinderson, duner405, EverettWV, excavator, F350 FF, f350red, FIXINSTUFF, Fordguy26, freshstroker, friskyjake, GASMAN6674, ghohouston, gnxtc2, goldmach1, goncrazy2003, Got4wd, gould9, gsxr1216, jamesfossett, JFURNER77, JI97PSD, Jnalaplace, JoePedro8149, johnrhodes, jsnyder7.3, jtsparks2, Justin@DP-Tuner, Justincredible, Kampy, kcbhiw, Kgaeta92, kip4234, Kohrnholio, Ks94.5powerstroke, littlewoody, LoPro 2012, lovesdunes, madpogue, makippert, markfuga, Mike97f350, Mini-Stroke..., moe, Mudbrother, newmayne, ngtstk3r, Nitro41, old man dave, ParkerFly, Patrick Feeley, Patrolman, pdj4814, pff250hd, Pirate38, powerstroke02, powerstroker20, Powerstroke_T444E, procomp, Ridefree, Rjmorrow, rjustman, Rkidd121209, rndllquinn, rpm-inc, rusty1161, rv7, salprofish, sampsue, SBR_GUY, shmober, slutz4, smokinstroker92, Smoothcriminal, Stampitguy, Stroker02, Stroke_This, sweetdreamz, TBarrsTruck, Tom S, vic32ft, wa96stroke, Wardy70, weebieboy, welderguy, Weldon, WidowMaker, wishibotadodge, yzstroker11