Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

On my way to 500 HP!

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  JerDirte' 
#1 ·
Santa left me a present. :D

Now if FFD can get my injectors to me in time, I might just have to make a trip to Atlanta Dragway in Commerce and push that 12.961 time down to something a little more respectable. :evil Any guesses what we'll see with 175's on stock nozzles, HPOP, and a downpipe only? I'm hoping to put down 525 on fuel only and 575 on Water Meth. That should put me about 12.3 @108 MPH!

Boy, I sure hope the tranny holds until I can get a BTS. :doh:

See less See more
#2 ·
seems a little high for hp numbers with stock nozzles to me??

#3 ·
Well, we'll see. That's part of the reason we went with stock nozzles in the first place. Just to see what's possible. I still want to keep the truck extremely streetable, although towing is not a consideration for me on this truck. That's what my 7.3L is for. Once testing is done on the stock nozzles, Casserly will change the nozzles and we'll see what's what. :D

#4 ·
Man y'all should test 190's/ stock then. I just started a thread on that.

#6 ·
LOL alright ill get right on that!!

#7 ·
Before anyone gets on a tangent about "Why are you doing this, or why are you doing that, or that crap isn't going to work," here's the logic behind my reasoning...

Currently running a 2004 Single Cab 2WD with stock sticks, stock turbo, stock exhaust, stock airbox, head studs, EGR cooler delete, custom ECM tune, and Custom FICM tune. No banjo bolts, no blue spring. I am putting down an honest 430 HP on #2 only, and 480 HP with Water/Meth. Even on the Water/Meth, my runs are CLEAN... No smoke at all. Right off, this tells me that I haven't exceeded the capabilities of the turbo, so I have no need to change it... yet.

With all that said, I tend to be very analytical about how I approach modifications. I dyno, datalog, and document EVERY change I make to the vehicle so I know what did what and how everything is effected. This way, I can make educated, informed decisions about the benefits (both positive and negative) of each component. I can then pass that information on to our customers so that they can be comfortable in the knowledge that they are making wise investment choices with their purchases.

The first modification I need to address is the exhaust. EGTs are already getting unmanageable with the stock exhaust (gee, big surprise!) and the Diamond Eye exhaust is sitting in the corner of the shop just waiting to get installed. We'll do a few runs just to see how the exhaust system fared and then move on to more exciting modifications. I still haven't made a decision on what intake setup I want to run, so that'll have to be addressed when I have time.

We are going with the smaller injectors for a couple reasons. First, I got them at a really good price because they still had stock nozzles on them, but more importantly it was because I really want to see just what is actually capable with a good street injector and how well the existing induction system holds up with the added fuel. We'll be datalogging everything to see how the stock HPOP holds up under the added demands of the larger injectors, along with fuel pressure changes with the stock fuel system. We'll make the necessary modifications to the fuel system (banjo bolts, fuel spring) and then retest. Finally, we'll upgrade the HPOP and retest. Again, we'll datalog everything and see how everything holds up.

Since there seems to a number of trucks that are getting "close to 500HP" on stock injectors, I don't think 525HP on 175's is an unreasonable goal. Since the 6.0L tends to (conservatively) make about 3HP per cc (405 HP at 135cc) it would stand to reason that 175cc injectors would (again, conservatively) produce in the area of 525HP. If I rated it more aggressively at the 434HP I am currently making (with basically no mods to speak of), that would put the HP per cc at 3.215 and yield in the area of 560HP with 175cc injectors. Of course, this is all armchair engineering and I fully understand the reality of the situation may be completely different, but I'm still confident that 525HP is not an unreasonable expectation. We'll see soon enough, though.

Mod progressions are planned as follows:
  1. Base runs
  2. Exhaust System
  3. Banjo Bolts and "Blue" Spring
  4. 175cc Injectors w/Stock Nozzles
  5. Adrenaline HPOP
  6. 175cc Injectors w/80% Nozzles
  7. 190cc Injectors w/100% Nozzles
Somewhere in there I'm probably going to need to look a turbo upgrade, but will have to see just where airflow becomes a limiting factor in power, smoke control, and EGTs. Other commensurate modifications will be fuel system upgrades (gotta keep those injectors well fed) and possibly an intake manifold update. Have to see what the budget will allow. :D

That's about it for now.

#15 ·
Mod progressions are planned as follows:
  1. Base runs
  2. Exhaust System
  3. Banjo Bolts and "Blue" Spring
  4. 175cc Injectors w/Stock Nozzles
  5. Adrenaline HPOP
  6. 175cc Injectors w/80% Nozzles
  7. 190cc Injectors w/100% Nozzles
Just for reference, Bob called me and told me that the pump he sent me was NOT an Adrenaline, but in fact their standard Billet HPOP that flows a bit over stock. I just wanted to make sure that there was no question when it comes down to final numbers. Sorry for any confusion.

#8 ·
:popcorn: I'm in to see how it goes. Best of luck Bill.

#10 ·
Subscribing...

#13 ·
heck if you can get 525 outta that truck you will have a ficm and ecm to tune shortly there after for my little bro. he is currently runnin 175/stocks and loves them! granted he has a cc lb but still with the added weight i wouldnt be suprised to see him put down 480-490 granted tuning is right on. cant wait to see your results and im confident you can get that 525 or really close

#16 ·
Subscribed

#19 ·
Well, looks like my injectors will be here Friday and we'll get to start tearing into the 6.0L. :D

First, I want to say many... MANY... MANY thanks to Ryan Casserly at Full Force and Bob Riley at DieselSite for all their help and suggestions. They have gone above and beyond what I could have ever expected, and tolerated every stupid question I had. Despite the fact that we associate on a professional level, they are also great friends and have my respect for their knowledge and expertise. I enjoy learning as much as I enjoy teaching, and for them to take the time to educate me and then to be able to take that knowledge and pass it on is a blessing for me. Also, thanks to the guys over at Akins Ford in Winder who keep me well supplied with parts. :D

Now, with the collection of parts accumulating, we will begin first stages of testing this weekend. I'm still determining the order in which I want to install the components as to provide the most usable reference data possible without causing a severe complications with the truck. I'll have my final assortment of testing procedures lined out by Friday and will see if anyone has any suggestions or specific tests they'd like to see take place. I'm open to ideas, but please keep in mind that this is MY test platform and process and if I chose to disregard a request, well that's my choice.

So far, here's the bolt-on stuff...

For testing:
  • Edge CTS with:
    • 2 Thermocouples (Left and Right Manifold - Measure bank output consistency. Not SUPER accurate, but helpful.)
    • 3 Fuel Pressure Sensors (Fuel Bowl, Left Head, Right Head - To measure Fuel Pressure drop at any point in the system.)
    • 2 ICP Sensors (Stock Location in Head and a Secondary at the HPOP - To Measure any possible ICP deficiency in the stock lines/rails. Also for testing the efficacy of the HPODS)
  • TFX Cylinder Pressure Testing Equipment (especially for testing CP differences with different FICM tuning.)
  • EyeSpy High Speed Datalogging Equipment
  • Go Pro Hero2 Video Camera (for audible noise testing and video logging of CTS data.)

For Performance:
  • Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust (No muffler for testing.)
  • Full Force Diesel Injectors
  • DieselSite Billet HPOP
  • DieselSite HPODS (High Pressure Oil Delivery System.)
  • 2005 90º Manifold Inlet (To facilitate the removal of the EGR Throttle Butterfly.)
  • Banjo Bolts
  • "Blue" Spring
  • Rev-X Additive (Oil and Fuel.)
  • EGR Delete (Already Installed.)
  • Head Studs (Already Installed.)
  • Snow Performance Water/Methanol Kit (Already Installed.)

Still need:
  • Extra P/S Valve Cover (For the HPODS kit. Can't run without it!)
  • Cold Air Intake (May just go TYMAR style.)
  • Transmission (Hopefully not ANY TIME soon!)
  • Intake Manifold (Steve... Are you listening? Can ya help a brother out???)

I think that's about it. We're gonna change the oil and filters before we tear into everything as I expect we're gonna end up with several hundreds (if not thousands) of miles of testing before we're through. Crap, that reminds me... I need to grease bearings on the dyno, too! Always something. LOL

Getting close, guys. Since I'm limited to weekends for this sort of testing, this may take up to 3 weeks to get everything installed, tested, documented, and posted, but I will be posting results as I go. I'm sorry it is taking so long, but I promise you that it will be well worth the wait! Keep in mind that this engine has 285K on the bottom end with only a head job, studs, Black Onyx gaskets, and an EGR delete. It's nothing fancy... Just like may trucks out there already. While we're doing this testing primarily to satisfy our own curiosity, we're also doing it to show everyone out there just what works, what doesn't, and what is possible in regards to building not only a strong, but reliable high-performance truck.

Take care.

#23 ·
Get 'Er Done already!

#27 ·
I know the feeling also.

I'm waiting on my set of 175cc/stock nozzles to go with the rest of my pile of "170K maintenance items" LOL

I look forward to following this thread/build to see how it does.

I'm having the following done:

Head Gaskets/ARP studs/Oil Cooler/Sinister EGR Cooler Job

figured while they are in there might as well do:
-Sinister Coolant Filter Kit
-Powermax Turbo
-Warren 175cc/stock nozzles(hoping these will add just a bit more fuel but not smoke too much and pass smog on tow tune no problem)
-AirdogII
-Blue Spring
-6.4 Banjo Bolts
-SCT with custom tunes(SRL+, and maybe one of them hotter ones, and unlimited tow to hopefully pass smog is the plan I think)

-power steering pump/hoses(pressure hose from hydraboost leaks like a mofo at the pump)
-water pump
-degass reservoir(leaks fromunda- cracked I think)
-coolant hoses
-thermostat
-oil & coolant temp sensors
-EGR valve(its throwing codes)

I'm hoping for 430-450

I'd like to do a tuned FICM when it fails or maybe sooner, but I need to pass a CA throttle snap smoke test. Being that it is permanent tuning would you advise against it?

#28 ·
If you aren't hitting close to 500 HP with that list of groceries, then something just ain't right. Most folks are hitting around 440 HP with just tunes, stock sticks, and turbo.

In any event, you've got quite the collection there and that truck is gonna be monster when you get it all done!

As for the FICM tune, go with a small program tuned for the injectors and you shouldn't have any problems passing emissions.

Good luck!

#29 ·
Right On Thanks thats great to hear. I'll be in touch about the FICM.

Glad to see your sticks arrived and are going in soon I bet you're excited.

I know I'm very anxious to have the work done on mine

I look forward to reading the updates - Big thanks for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.