Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

>> IDP TORQ 2.1 <<

17K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  Clomax 
#1 ·

Eric dropped me a line and let me know that the new TORQ 2.1's were on the cusp of being shipped out and I could shoot down and pick mine up whenever I had a chance.

Decided to shoot down this morning and pick up the new TORQ 2.1 as I'm extremely impatient and hate waiting for shipping. While I was there, I had a chance to talk to Eric one-on-one regarding the 6.7 tuning, as well as some of the issues I was facing with my own personal truck. Those issues are posted here.

Eric kindly reloaded my tuner with the newest software and even reflashed my truck while I waited. Of course, I couldn't resist picking up an MBRP DPF back while I was there... The updated tune is great and I couldn't be happier with the software and the team at Innovative Diesel Performance. Sure, anyone can sell you a tuner or parts for your truck, but it's the customer service that keeps me coming back to IDP. While sometimes you might pay more, in the end the service is what you're paying for and you simply cannot put a price on quality customer service.

The new TORQ 2.1 is a more refined version of the original TORQ 2. The actual box itself is the same size but it has an adjustment knob on the top which takes the place of the in-box dip switches. As you can see per my picture, the box comes with a little screwdriver which allows you to adjust the dip switches without unplugging or opening the box. The next largest change is the addition of a transmission control wire. This wire helps with the torque truncation often seen when tuning these trucks. The transmission control wire is a hard splice into the wiring loom of the TCM. Before everyone freaks out, Eric has included a very clean connector for tapping the loom. Lastly, the control knob itself now has a 'locking-off' position. So, if you want, you can actually turn the TORQ 2.1 completely off. Just as the last unit, the install shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes and is a simple plug and play operation.

A few things to keep in mind...

• TORQ 2 & 2.1 boxes are not to be paired with the IDP tuner set on street or xtreme street. They are to be used in conjunction with the TORQ 2 file! If you use it on any other program (on the IDP tuner) you will more than likely get rail pressure codes.

• ALWAYS work on a cool motor! Don't be a hero and work on a hot motor, you will get burned.

• ALWAYS read the supplied instructions/directions before attempting this installation. While it's not rocket science, they're included for a reason.

Time/work willing, I will be installing this tomorrow and will be giving a full review on it periodically.

See less See more
#2 ·
Whats the other knob in the picture for? I been also talking with Eric on this and waiting for them to come in.. Now how do you tap it into the tranny? Do you have to splice wires or hows it work? Now my biggest choice is going to be going this route with the SCT or going with the green card h&s. What do you think or has Eric told you the RWHP with this and the sct on the 6.7? Thanks for all the info..

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The knob is for adjusting the power level in cab. It'll adjust from 0-100hp over stock.

There's a single speed sensor wire that you tap into with our provided wire tap. It just screws together and connects to the wire. Once removed, you'll never know the wire was touched.

We are pushing ~460rwhp with the Torq2 and custom tuning built specific for the module. The Torq2 alone is 415rwhp.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hello sir, which knob are you referring to in the picture? The black knob on the left?

The transmission is tapped via a wire tap. The tap itself is included in the TORQ 2.1 package and is the red piece in my picture above. As mentioned above, the transmission portion of the TORQ 2.1 is mated to the stock TCM in the actual wiring loom located on the frame rail under the drivers door. The tap itself is not a cheap part and provides for a secure connection to the TCM wiring loom.

Honestly, I don't know what the RWHP is with the new TORQ 2.1 paired with the tuner. What I can tell you regarding tuners is this... While there are numerous options out there, I think the choice is pretty obvious. There is no other tuning company/tuner on the market that currently has software written specifically for the TORQ 2/2.1. Innovative Diesel is the ONLY company that has specific software written for the addition of this unit.

It's interesting to see others pairing the TORQ 2 with tuners such as H&S, Spartan, etc. and not throwing rail codes. This means they're either defeating rail codes internally or their tuning isn't touching the actual rail pressure settings and they're achieving the additional power through other tuning methods. As I stated above, if you use the either the street tune or xtreme street with the TORQ 2/2.1 you will see rail codes. This is because those tunes manage rail pressure via the software and the TORQ box is fighting the tune for control of the rail pressure and thus causing the truck to sense something is amiss. The TORQ file on the IDP tuner was created specifically for the use of the TORQ box and has the appropriate changes in order to prevent any rail codes or glitches.

Seeing as that I'm in the aftermarket industry myself, I did countless hours of searching and reading before purchasing. I came damn close to purchasing the Spartan setup, but waited for the IDP software. Definitely happy that I did so and wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow.

#5 ·
any way to update the existing torque 2 with the trans wire? mine has trunction pretty bad on the 3-4 shift unless i turn advanced trac off...

#8 ·
There are two different kinds of torque truncation with these trucks. The kind you're experiencing is actually the truncation caused by the traction control system. The kind that the TORQ helps regulate is the kind that happens at the top of each gear before it shifts. The TORQ module helps reduce truncation by adjusting the fueling to work within the factory parameters. If you're really mashing on it, you're going to have to turn the traction off as it will truncate due to wheel spin.

Detectable?
That's debatable. Physically within the motor itself or by computer?

#6 ·
Detectable?

#15 ·
I'm innovated, this thing kicks az$......turn down the knob for great mileage turn it up and get your head thrown to the seat....installed mine in 5mins
the trans tap is easy it took longer to carefully remove the harness casing so I didn't cut any wires

#17 ·
I run my original Torq box with spartan tunes. On the 165, I can run the torq box at about 75%, and the 200 with box at 50%. No rail codes at all. Anything over that on the torq box and it will cut power adbruptly. You can watch rail pressure drop on wot runs the higher you turn the box up, but power in the low - mid range is where it really helps. I leave mine on the 165 tune and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

#21 ·
Question about ordering the Torq 2.1. On innovates website it doesn't say which model it is that I'm buying I guess it would be the new 2.1? We're going to put it on a 450 pickup hoping for better fuel mileage. Any thoughts guys

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#24 ·
Yeah I noticed it just changed today on their website. Thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#25 ·
Buck,
How did the install go? Any reviews or comments?

#27 ·
Well, I've been super busy at work lately. Much like IDP, I own/run an aftermarket parts retail business. We specialize in high end suspension, wheels and brakes for German cars. This is our 'busy' time of year as show season is right around the corner. We're averaging about 20 shipments a day so, it's not easy to find time to work on my own toys.

That being said, the trans wire tapping was super easy and the included connector is excellent. I was able to get that done no problem and then I hit the rail pressure sensor side. Seems as that the harness was wrong and after talking to Eric, he told me to send it back. I just got it boxed up and sent out today. I should have a new harness in the next two days and then I'll get it installed. It wasn't IDP's fault, just a small snag. As always, the chaps at IDP squared me away without any issues. Looking forward to having it on by the end of the week then I'll put up a full review.

On another note, the fresh retune that Eric loaded while I was down at IDP has been running flawlessly. It's stupid fast and extremely fun to drive. Probably my favorite part about the tune is just how smooth it is no matter what you're doing. Around town, it drives like stock and gets excellent gas mileage. If you're hammering on it, the truck never hiccups or misses a beat. It's really the best of both worlds with the IDP tune package. I've owned tuned and built cars in the past and it's always a pain to drive something that's very torque-y as the throttle turns into an on/off switch. But this setup is very manageable and fun to drive.

#28 ·
On another note, the fresh retune that Eric loaded while I was down at IDP has been running flawlessly. It's stupid fast and extremely fun to drive. Probably my favorite part about the tune is just how smooth it is no matter what you're doing. Around town, it drives like stock and gets excellent gas mileage. If you're hammering on it, the truck never hiccups or misses a beat. It's really the best of both worlds with the IDP tune package. I've owned tuned and built cars in the past and it's always a pain to drive something that's very torque-y as the throttle turns into an on/off switch. But this setup is very manageable and fun to drive.
Hey Buck the fresh tune you are talking about is it brand new i have had my tuner for about three weeks and only had it in once, as i had to take my truck in for some work tuner unrelated, so i unistalled it when i just run the tuner with no T2 wat would you suggest to run on for setting, i basically just use it as a daily driver, in the summer i tow a 40' toyhauler. Thanks in advance!!

#29 ·
RollinBlack, my guess is that you have the tune that I'm calling my 'fresh' tune.

To make a long story short, I took my truck in for a blown secondary radiator. While the truck was at the dealer they updated my firmware flash with the newest release from Ford. This included a TCM update as well. When I went to reflash my truck with the IDP tune, the tune didn't take. After a quick call down to IDP, Eric told me that Ford had just released new firmware and that he had not yet had the new file to write the tune. Thus, I waited a week or two until Eric was able to write the tune for the firmware update. When Eric told me it was finished, I popped down and had him reload my tuner with the freshest tune (at the time). This was when Eric renamed the 'tow' tune as the 'TORQ2' tune. Just to give you a point of reference as to how far back this was... When I popped down to pick up the TORQ2.1, I asked Eric if he'd reflash my tuner with the lastest tune he had and he told me it was the same one I'd received at the change over in firmware. He reflashed my tuner anyhow and it's been running better than before. He also adjusted the speed governor as I was having issues at 98mph, whoops... Anyhow, in short, I'm going to guess that this is the tune that you have on your device. Best way to tell is to plug your truck in and check your flash version. It should be under vehicle info on the SCT module.

Cheers,
Buck

#35 ·
RollinBlack, my guess is that you have the tune that I'm calling my 'fresh' tune.

While the truck was at the dealer they updated my firmware flash with the newest release from Ford. This included a TCM update as well.
Cheers,
Buck
Buck,
A little off topic......What is the TSB# of the latest flash and what does it accomplish?

Andy

#33 ·
Damn! I think I need one of these:evil

#38 ·
Not to sound like a complete know-it-all, but the out of the box settings on the TORQ box are not going to be perfect for every truck on the road. Each truck is different and responds differently to the modifications. My personal truck is on box setting three and the knob is at 80%. The truck runs very well and consistently without any hiccups. It's a game of what finding what works best with your truck. Finding a general setting and then making micro-adjustments to the knob is how I usually dial mine in.

#42 ·
*** UPDATE ***

Wanted to post an update here as I don't post updates as frequently as I'd like to due to my work schedule.

I'd like to start by referencing something that was posted in my other TORQ2.1 Thread by Innovative Diesel...

Innovative Diesel said:
There's two reasons why RP isn't an issue with a stock the 6.7L, or when it's tuned with the factory stock limits. With the stock safety limits in place, it's impossible to raise pressure beyond the stock limitations. If the limitations in the tuning are increased, this is not the case. However, we keep all stock limitations in place with our custom tuning, and of course on a stock truck, it's going to be there anyway. Lastly, the Torq2 follows the max stock rp curve, so it's not an issue.
As mentioned in many of the threads, the stacking of the TORQ2/2.1 box with tunes is a great way to pick up a few mpg and also add better/smoother shifting to your truck. As I've also mentioned, it takes a bit of testing/tuning to get the T2 dialed in properly for each application. While the T2 is an off the shelf plug & play product, it does require some 'dialing in' to get the performance of stacking just right.

After playing with several settings [both on the 2.1 box and the RP adjustment knob], I've found that the TORQ2.1 box set on position 0 with the RP knob at 65% yields ZERO truncation, excellent power, great fuel mileage as well as crisp shifting. Just for giggles, when I first had it installed, I left it on position 0 with 100% RP and the truck ran like a bat out of hell, but it was still truncating heavily at higher speeds. Dialing back the RP to 50-65% has given me a truck that is very street-able and reliable.

Overall, the TORQ2.1 is an excellent add-on or even first mod for those not looking to go crazy and tune their trucks. Just remember that each tune (and truck) is different! There is no 'universal setting' on these boxes and you will need to dial it in specifically for your truck.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

Cheers,
Buck

#43 ·
what do you mean position on 0? was that an update on the 2.1? im running just a tq2 and to my knowledge it just has the knob or are you talking about on the inside of the box?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.