Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Amp power steps

64K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  turboaz2 
#1 ·
My steps will be here on Tuesday. I got a great deal on them, some guy got them and he didn't end up using them. 500 bucks was a no brainer for me and they were brand new. These are the ones for a Chevy 99-06 classic ones. Garage mechanic used these and so did enoughsmoke. I decided to get a cut off piece of door sill to do mock ups for the mounts. After cutting it I can see why you can't mount steps to the rocker. There's just nothing there. I have some good ideas on how to make the steps work. I'll update the thread when I get the brackets going.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is my idea. If I make a full length bracket. It can be bolted behind the door seal and in the 1" space hidden from seeing any bolts. (space where the factory wiring is ran) Then the rear can be bolted in the factory holes as pictured (oval) I will also make a soild 3/4 inch wide, 14 gauge back piece. So basically you will have the front "Z" piece, factory rocker, and then the 3/4 piece to sandwich it all together. It should be rock soild then and plenty to bolt the amp step to.

#4 ·
I hope this helps you my buddy with an f 350 crew cab has a set here are some pics

#11 ·
When you tackle something like this what brain box do you use? Are they all the same?

also what truck mounts have worked better with the OBS. Seems someone used the SD mounts and the other ones are a bit different.

ALso when wiring in the steps opening, are you finding the wire for the dome light trigger? what color are the wires? Any help would be nice.

#12 ·
I used the 99-07 classic gm ones. Most use this style since they fit the best. It has a lower compact design unlike the SD ones. As you can see on the earlier posts it can be done but they hang down more. The control box seem to all be the same. But the controller comes with the steps. I haven't tackled the wiring yet but I have wiring diagrams from someone that did it with these steps. I'll post that when I get to that point. The easiest would be to run extra door pins and tie them to that. I won't be going that route since I want to use the original door pins. If you tie it to the dome light. Both steps will deploy if it's tied into that. Some have gone this route and that's fine too if you don't mind both steps coming down when you open any door.

#19 ·
Me and my buddy was talking about having a missle decal on the bottom side of the step so you see it while your driving down the road and flip the steps out lol

#20 ·
All went to as planned on the mounts. They are super strong and uses all factory mounting holes. I mocked up the amp steps and I will drill those to the sill stiffener tomorrow. I will then figure out how to tie in the upper mount. Over all I really like the way these are coming together.

#24 ·
Got a little more done today. And being Easter it was only a little :)
Mounted the wiring, I ran it reverse from what they said and it looks like I still will have to lengthen 1 motor wire. Drilled the holes for the Amp bracket. 6 3/8" front and 4" rear. 1/8 pilot holes then to 11/64ths for the amp bracket hardware. Drivers side motor mounts in the back door and the passenger side motor is on the front door. I will probably wrap the controller but it should be fine since it is completely sealed unit. Yes I know the wiring isn't perfect but I'm not done yet. It will be when I'm done with it.

#27 ·
yes but they all send the same signal to the dome light so when the rear door is opened and the dome light comes on the circit is complete wor just activate the cargo light thats how i clean mine when i was the truck

#31 ·
Hooked up the relays to operate the steps. You have to convert the ground to deploy the steps to positive to deploy. So since I like the factory look on everything I do, I took a 94-95 relay pack that has 4 relays in it and took the 97 2 relay pack wires out and added the 97 relays to the 94-95 pack. Now when you open the hood the relay pack looks like it came from the factory. I'll post the relay diagram later for reference. Next will will tap into the door pins to activate the steps.

#32 ·
Some updates

Got the door pins fitted with the extra wire for the steps. Drivers door has 3 wires and the red wire is what is tapped into for that door to work. All the others need to have the extra wire added. I cut a bunch at the local wrecking yard and removed the wire and added it to the empty spot in the harness and then to the amp control box. Now when either side is opened. Only that side deploys. Wiring is all done and works perfect.

Also got the upper bracket back from laser cutter. I tweaked it a bit to fit better and I'll paint it again. The next set of brackets are getting cut now.

#35 ·
Another really nice write up that I think deserves being put in the library.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.