Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

FICM Shootout - Tuned, 48V, and 58V

31K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  strokin6L 
#1 ·
A lot of customers have been asking what the benefits and gains are of the different FICM options for a 6.0L, well... thanks to Tom and Dan at the Powerstroke Connection, we have dyno plots to share. Dan lent us his 2004 6.0L truck for use in the testing. He has a fair amount of mods and is running our KEM race tune. Tom provided us his DynoJet (non Eddy current) dyno for the test. We set out to see what the gains/numbers were for the following:

Stock 48V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 48V FICM
Swamps 58V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 Swamps 58V FICM

The FICM calibration used was ARZ2AH10 which is an Inductive heat calibration. The test was run with the same truck, same dyno, and on the same day, no trying to compare different vehicles in different configurations. The FICM swap was done on the dyno, no unstrapping.

Now for the results!

First test - Swamps 58V versus a 48V FICM both flashed with ARZ2AH10.

Below 2750 RPM, the Swamps 58V FICM has more power and torque, above they are identical in power.

Second Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 48v FICM versus a stock 48v FICM.

A 43RWHP max gain with a max torque gain of 137 to the tires!

Third Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 58v Swamps FICM versus a stock 58v Swamps FICM.

Since the Swamps 58V FICM started higher than the 48V FICM, the max gains when tuned were slightly lower at 41RWHP and a torque gain of 112!

All of these runs were done on a non loading dyno. If testing were to have taken place on an Eddy current dyno, numbers would have been higher.

The custom FICM tuning not only benefits those stock injector trucks with added power, but also can eliminate some drivability issue associated with trucks that have larger injectors(we make the files to your truck specifics).

Presently to get your FICM tuned, it needs to be sent to us for a bench flash. In the very near future, we will be releasing our all in one flash tuner! It will flash not only the PCM and the TCM but will also flash the FICM with our custom tunes! This tuner will also function as a monitoring display device with a suction cup windshield mount. More information to follow.

Mike

See less See more
#5 ·
Do you guys have remote programmers?

#10 ·
So it's a FICM using stock internals but with custom tuning correct?? Can you do the tuning with the FICM still installed in the truck at your shop??

Damn....got to love that TQ line. Right where it counts...600+TQ from 2-3K rpms.

#13 ·
Since its on the sct x3 could the files not be emailed like a normal tune?

#17 ·
So the 48V Tuned FICM made more HP than the 58V Tuned FICM?

#18 ·
Nothing is ever going to 100% satisfy people.... not one run is going to be exactly like the rest.

Is there still a debate ater these graphs "WHOA 58V LOST 2.375WHP OVER THE 48V!?!?!!?!" :doh:

lets be honest here, look at the gains between tuned and not tuned, reason enough to do it doesnt matter is its 48v or 58v both get the job done.

#20 ·
Whoa, I was just asking a question. I understand the gains with the FICM tuning, mine is already tuned by PHP. But I was debating on replacing my perfectly good tuned 48V FICM with a tuned 58V unit. But after seeing the "gains" with the 58V in these graphs, I think I'll just keep my 48V now.

#19 ·
Exactly. Well said Greg.

#21 ·
While the gains between a 48v and 58v FICM can be debated for a while, the bottom line IMO is if your 48v isnt broke then it is kind of a waste of money to just switch out a perfectly fine 48v unit for a 58v unit (which is what I did). I understand not wanting to risk the cost of a tune on an OEM FICM because they can go out quite frequently but for $400-$500 for a replacement FICM, I just wouldnt drop that coin unless you had to. JMO.

#22 ·
Does the FICM tune affect day to day driveability? In other words, if I put it on my daily driver, would it cause any adverse effects down the road? Any effects on MPG? Thanks.

#23 ·
no bad effects with a tuned FICM. My truck is a daily driver and no issues. Heck, there's more trucks running a tuned FICM that are daily drivers than there are race trucks running a tuned FICM. It's one of the best mods you can do to a daily driver. Way better throttle rsponse which helps with the turbo lag, little better MPG's.

#26 ·
I just didn't know if they had a back log or not. The Harley's still having super high EOT/ECT deltas, even after a new oil cooler and new BP egr. Wondering if I got a bad oil cooler, or it's just a bad water pump. So I've got time to wait to send it in.

#27 ·
How is a tuned FICM for towing heavy loads? I do not tow heavy all the time but a couple times a month I haul the toys to the desert. Combined weight of 24k#. When I am not towing I run ID Extreme Street. Does tire size make a differenc? What about weather? I am in SoCal but hunt Utah in Oct/Nov so temps range from 0-over 100degrees. I am still on my original FICM in my 05. Should I put a new one in? Lastly, if I decide to go with larger injectors (155cc) later should I have the FICM reprogrammed again? Sorry for all the ?'s.

#30 ·
How is a tuned FICM for towing heavy loads? I do not tow heavy all the time but a couple times a month I haul the toys to the desert. Combined weight of 24k#.
Our customers have no problems towing heavy loads with our custom FICM tuning while using our PCM and TCM tuning.

Does tire size make a difference? What about weather? I am in SoCal but hunt Utah in Oct/Nov so temps range from 0-over 100degrees. I am still on my original FICM in my 05. Should I put a new one in?
FICM tuning is unaffected by weather and tire size when using our tuning. If your FICM is operating fine now, there is no need to put in a new one.

Lastly, if I decide to go with larger injectors (155cc) later should I have the FICM reprogrammed again? Sorry for all the ?'s.
Yes, the tuning for stock versus larger injectors in the FICM is different.

Can you run a Tuned FICM without running a programmer on top? . Was debating on next option.. tuner only, ficm tune only or Combo.. thoughts?
Yes you can run just a tuned FICM. To get the most out of your truck, you would need to tune all three modules, the PCM, TCM, and the FICM.

MPG will be effected depending on your current PCM/FICM strategies. If you read up on some of the later reflashes Ford sent out you notice these effected MPG greatly. I get anywhere from 14-16MPG with mixed driving and get close to 18 HWY. Even when towing I stay inside double digit MPGs. If you are getting less than that your truck MIGHT get better MPGs with this tuning. I'm like everyone else I'd love a solid 1-2 gain in mileage but don't expect a miracle.
That is what most customers report 1 to 2 MPG, but each truck will vary and gains are not guaranteed due to different driving styles.

Since there are some injector parameters that are effected, I feel SCT tuning MAY need to be adjusted to make optimal use of the FICM tuning.
True, it may need new PCM tuning.

I'd love to run my PHP on the dyno then let KEM tune it up for a comparsion run. My intent would be to show them side-by-side on the same truck for my own knowledge. I love the PHP tuning and hope that the KEM is just as effective if not better. It's hard to believe the 6.0 is still getting better and better through all the vendors hard work. It's a no-brainer for me FICM tuning just plain works.
If you are interested in doing this and will post the results, please give me a call. We actually did this comparison as well on the dyno but did not release the results :evil as our intent was to show what our tuning does versus stock, not versus any other tuning available.

Props to KEM for the tuning development!!!
Thank you.

Mike

#28 ·
Can you run a Tuned FICM without running a programmer on top? . Was debating on next option.. tuner only, ficm tune only or Combo.. thoughts?

#29 ·
My comments are for those asking about long term/towing/daily driving use of a tuned FICM. I'm NOT comparing PHP to KEM in any way.

I have been running a PHP FICM for several years now ever since FICM tuning/modding came about the 6.0L. I found a FICM for sale and sent it down to PHP. It's a wonderful addition to a stock running truck as well as a modded/tuned truck. I towed my boat driving PLENTY of miles with no adverse issues. I have yet to tow heavy (10k+) so take it as my $.02 worth.

MPG will be effected depending on your current PCM/FICM strategies. If you read up on some of the later reflashes Ford sent out you notice these effected MPG greatly. I get anywhere from 14-16MPG with mixed driving and get close to 18 HWY. Even when towing I stay inside double digit MPGs. If you are getting less than that your truck MIGHT get better MPGs with this tuning. I'm like everyone else I'd love a solid 1-2 gain in mileage but don't expect a miracle.

Since there are some injector parameters that are effected, I feel SCT tuning MAY need to be adjusted to make optimal use of the FICM tuning.

I'd love to run my PHP on the dyno then let KEM tune it up for a comparsion run. My intent would be to show them side-by-side on the same truck for my own knowledge. I love the PHP tuning and hope that the KEM is just as effective if not better. It's hard to believe the 6.0 is still getting better and better through all the vendors hard work. It's a no-brainer for me FICM tuning just plain works.

Props to KEM for the tuning development!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.