Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2003 f250 7.3 cranks but will not start

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Justcowgirlin 
#1 ·
I fired up my truck yesterday and started to back out of the driveway and all of a sudden the truck stalled. I tried to recrank it and it would not start. I replaced the cam sensor today with one that I have kept in the truck for about two years in case it ever went out. I still get nothing.
While cranking on the engine i do not see tach move at all nor the oil pressure gauge. It spins like a top with my brand new interstate batteries and I know that I usually see oil pressure on the gauge right before it cranks.
Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

#2 ·
These are the codes.

Model: PowerStroke 7.3L
Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Year: 2003

B1871 Passenger Air Bag Disable Module Fault
B1877 Seatbelt Driver Pretensioner Circuit Open

IGEM/central Timer
No response from module

IHybrid Electronic Cluster
B1360 Ignition Run/Acc Circuit Open
C1284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure
B1352 Ignition Key-In Circuit Failure

I Park Aid
No response from module

loverhead Trip Computer 2
B1342 ECU Is Faulted

I Enhanced Powertrain
P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High
P1316 Injector Driver Module Codes Detected
P1212 Injector Control Pressure Lower Than Desired (engine crank or run)
P1247 Turbocharger Boost Pressure Low

#3 ·
You might check the 30amp fuse for the fuel bowl/pcm. If the fuel bowl heater element goes bad and trips the fuse, it will not start.

Had this exact thing happen to a friend of mine.

#4 ·
Check your oil level. If your hpop is not getting oil your injectors are not opening and you are not getting fuel. crank the truck and watch for any fume coming from the tail pipe. this will tell you if your getting fuel or not and eliminate one concern. you can also remove the plug on the hpop and stick a small screw driver in the hole very easily and see where your oil level is in the pump. if its low put some oil in the pump, crank the truck over and again watch for fume. truck should then fire if the low oil in the pump was the only problem, unless it burned up.

#12 ·
If my CCAs are enough (I have close to 900 in each battery) and I charged them overnight, what would slow down operation of the starter. The new one has made a significant difference but, honestly, I'm not sure if it's spinning fast enough. Is there anyway I can post a video here if I record one with my phone?

#15 ·
Hey markwemple,
You do realize that the original posts in this thread are over 6 years old. Most of these users are haven't been on the forum at all in 3 or 4 years...

Probably would've been a good idea to start a brand new thread.

In any case...

A "dongle" may help as it might tell you if you have any DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). Is your "check engine light" on? It should come on initially, during wait-to-start, then go out.

#17 ·
It sounds like you're not getting any (or very low) ICP when cranking.
You need to check the injection control pressure. You'd need either a good scan tool or a mechanical gauge, to read the HPO pressure while cranking. The PCM must see a minimum of about 500-525 to start. If it's low, it's probably a bad IPR valve.

#18 ·
I'm over at your other thread now....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.