Steering Gear box adjustment - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Moroney167
Fasthog.com
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to Moroney167
Steering Gear box adjustment

I have searched all I could but was told there's a way to adjust steering mesh a little tighter. Truck drives great just has a little wonder and slop between steering wheel an the ground.

Told a lock nut and an Allen key on gear box, hold Allen while loosen lock not. Tighten a small amount going to much will do damage. So what's to much. Can I do a 1/4 turn an test drive? Any help please

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
PMF 3-Link & Traction Bars- 20x10 ATX - 37" ATZ P3's
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 AM
eleventhtruck
My other twin turbo...
Member's Gallery

Re: Steering Gear box adjustment

I would go 1/8 at a time and test. This adjustment is very sensitive and if the sector is too worn you will still have play in the steering box even as the sector starts hanging up. You say play between the steering wheel and the ground? I usually, if I don't have help, start the vehicle and rock the input shaft at the gear while I observe the box and linkage to find the loose detail.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Moroney167
Fasthog.com
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to Moroney167
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventhtruck View Post
I would go 1/8 at a time and test. This adjustment is very sensitive and if the sector is too worn you will still have play in the steering box even as the sector starts hanging up. You say play between the steering wheel and the ground? I usually, if I don't have help, start the vehicle and rock the input shaft at the gear while I observe the box and linkage to find the loose detail.
Well I typed that wrong. Basically when driving you keep working on moving wheel to avoid wonder an keeping straight. I will try small turn like you said on it and see if anything changes. After adjusting two times at 1/8 turns I'll be sure to stop if it's not better or changing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 101
03Excursion, 07-OUTLAW, 1954oldred, 1badz, 2ndHandSmoke, 72ford250, 96PSD, 97stroking1982, 99fordman18, 99whitePSD, Alvapowerchoke, ANIMOSITY, austin229, Baker82, bigblocktisdale, bigpete73, BigRed97, Blown284, Bow-TechAggie, BucktownPSD, coxral, cutterstroke, Cutty72, dan_k, davidamontoya, dblamp, dieselboy01, DieselRangerKid, Driles85, Dustin F2504x4, duxpsd, eleventhtruck, ElkBowHuntR, Evofit300, famlyride, firedriver19, Fl Stroker, flocksmonster garage, FordPower, fourwheeldrive9, Frenchb85, gsxr1216, HARDTIMES, harperc, hoist00, houtxfdcapt, impostor, jammin60, jaybuller, Jmjohnson1717, Jorobe33, Josh_pesty, Kampy, kilapapipa, kystanger, Loonatic, MacDinho, machete31, Monumentally, Moroney167, MrNiceGuy, NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER, niklid05, nopainnofear, NorCalDiesel, northid710, ntgd1, NVJAY775, Old OutLaw, OLD'SCOOL, parnellz, PDR Diesel Inc, PowerstrokeMudder82, PSDTDIer4life, pursleybp, redpowerstroke, REDSTROKE188, rfrostick, rodrocket, Roenicke95stroker, rolsmojave3, rusty1161, Sandpro, Schneider 86, scottKP99, snakedoc, Sndwrkr, sparksmx450, steve burris, strokerdually, sujumptd, super73, SUPERDF350, superm, sxcross, toddman35, vintage way, WA_PSD, wickedx, xxxbrutusxxx, yancey01x