Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

power increase from gtp38r

34K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  CTC DEEZUL 
#1 ·
Been reading about the gtp38r and some places are saying a 80 gain with a chip and exhaust from just a turbo upgrade i find that kinda hard to believe i can understand 25hp or so is there any truth to what they say ?

im planning on picking up a stage 3 snow system in the next few days and maybe a 38r before i do my injectors

#2 ·
Who is "they"? I've really never heard anyone say that there would be an 80hp gain from just a turbo swap on an otherwise mostly stock truck.

And no, you won't see much, if any, of a power increase. You'll get lower EGT's, possibly a teeny bit of boost, but that's about it.

By the way, I did directly compare the power output from a stock turbo vs. a 38R with stock injectors and a chip. Prior to the turbo swap, I ran my truck at Bandimere, making many many passes down the 1/4 mile. After the turbo swap, I went back to Bandimere, making many many more passes.

The result: There was zero difference in times and trap speeds.

However, EGT's were about 100 degrees cooler with the 38R.

So..... there you have it. :D

#4 ·
Largest claim I have seen was 16 hp.
Which you will have a hard time feeling.
Now spool, surge, temp diff you can see.

Now if you had large injectors, and did a turbo swap, maybe.
But basic mods only no great diff.

#5 ·
I went from 320hp to 351 hp on the dyno. But that was different dyno's, thousands of miles apart.

#6 ·
ok thats great to know if i can gain some better spooling charictaristics and better street manners and if i only get minimal gains im a happy camper i would imagine that a 38r swap and water/meth injection would make my truck run very well untill i get the injectors

#10 ·
The spool up is right now vs. the stock turbo.

#8 ·
I dynoed a 30 hp increase with no other changes when I went from a stock turbo to the 38r.
Truck had intake, exhaust, and six position chip.

#9 ·
searching gtp38r on ebay they say 80 gains with a chip and exhaust
i already have tunes and i know i have more than 80hp over stock already. i was just wondering what over what it is now would/should i gain from just the swap
im just looking at it from a egt/boost response standpoint mostly since i plan on doing some pulling with it and street fooling around if i happen to gain 20 -30 hp great

#11 ·
Yeah, instead of my. oh maybe I,ll spool up in a bit turbo, LMAO !!

#12 ·
they are loud... havent put 20 miles on mine yet... #### the intake boot also.... plan to custom make an entire intake or re-route ccv and make a bracket for intake... mine is zip-tied up for now....

#13 ·
Like a loud whistle or?

#16 ·
Yeah same problem with a ported shroud, it takes a screw driver to get it started on, I stuck my hand up inside the hose and pushed it outward to get it started, work pretty good. I get the money together, i,m gonna go with a 38r I think.

Dan

#18 ·
The problem with the boot was it not lining up with the plastic piece that connects it to the rest of intake. The bolts don't match up off the bracket now. Nor does ccv reach now.

#19 ·
Also, when you shut down the truck, the ball bearings in the 38r allow for at least 10 seconds of shut down noise under the hood and out the exhaust. Not loud but you might think something is still running if you didn't know.
I bought my truck with 105K on it and it does that. The turbo appears to be stock though?... I have tried to google the serial number off of it to check what it is but no luck. How would a stock turbo sound that way? The truck is a 03

#22 ·
I used to hear that with the stocker also but no where near the 38r with the ball bearings, takes a while to shut down.

#21 ·
lol i dont buy parts like that off ebay seen to many problems. i wish precision was still doing thier turbo i would just drive over there and get it

#24 ·
Prices vary a lot on the 38r now but you should be able to get close to 1300 shipped from a sponsor. I just seen PTP has it for $1349 shipped free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.