Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Elite 71mm Review (log information)

17K views 113 replies 29 participants last post by  Jeff @ Spartan 
#1 ·
As many of you know, I recently received my Elite 71mm low pressure turbo. Well it's already on the truck and I have close to 200 miles on the truck testing the new setup. Yesterday, dieseljosh07, uga33, 4tonGT40, and myself got together to tackle the job. I was more or less there for moral support and supervision, but I did help a little. I would like to thank dieseljosh07 for his awesome skills as a diesel tech. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been able to get this done so quick. Thanks buddy! uga33 knowing the front end of my truck like the back of his hand was good because I needed to get my Icon TEI out to ship out tomorrow. And finally, 4tonGT40's ridiculous fab skills were used as well. Those damn heat shields!!! :hehe:

I would also like to thank Elite Diesel Engineering for providing me with an awesome turbo. JD was a lot of help and was great to deal with, keeping me updated on the turbo. Talk about some great customer service!

Alright, on to the review. All I can really say at this point is.....WOW! I am so pleased with my new setup. There is nothing that I have found that I dislike about the new setup. We did run into some issues with the POS Diamond Eye downpipe that is on the truck, but powerstroker67 is taking care of that little problem this coming week by sending me one of his ceramic coated downpipes. The turbo spools quick, makes some serious boost, and sounds wicked. I didn't think it would have the whistle that it does under load, so that has been a huge bonus. Always nice to get a little extra than you expected. With my current setup (dynoed 594 on Dunbar's last March), I can definitely see 30-40 HP being gained with the 310 tune. I don't want to say my truck will make 630 HP, but seat of the pants it feels so much stronger than before.

Now to the data logs....that I unfortunately forgot to monitor throttle position percentage, so I can't really say how hard I was in it. It was 54* and very low humidity when I performed these logs. Perfect weather!

Data Log 1 - acceleration from 34-72 MPH at what I would consider between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

Max EGT - 1,072*
Max rail pressure held - 25,400 psi
Max boost - 53.7 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 52 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,066*
Max back pressure - 56 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 30.1 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2300 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 38 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 21,950 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 756*

Data log 2 - acceleration from 68-85 MPH at around 3/4 throttle

Max EGT - 1,128.6*
Max rail pressure held - 25,600 psi
Max boost - 54.6 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 60 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,047.6*
Max back pressure - 60 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 53-54 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2170-2240 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 78 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 24,600 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 1009-1050*

Data log 3 - acceleration from 65-92 MPH with the pedal to the floor

Max EGT - 1217.1*
Max rail pressure held - 24,900 psi
Max boost - 55.5 psi
Max back pressure at max boost - 59 psi
Max EGT at max boost - 1,068*
Max back pressure - 65 psi
Boost at max back pressure - 53 psi
RPM at max back pressure - 2580 RPM
MPH at max back pressure - 91 MPH
Rail pressure at max back pressure - 24,700 psi
EGT's at max back pressure - 1208*

If there is anything anyone else would like to know, just ask. I can look it up on the data logs I took if I have that particular PID logged. The most boost I have seen was 56 psi and the most back pressure I have seen was 66 psi. This was pushing it as hard as I could from a rolling 70 MPH. Hopefully this review helps others on the fence about a turbo setup and also helps those looking for hard data using a big low pressure turbo matched with the stock VGT. I will post some pictures in a bit when I get them uploaded to my computer.

Thanks,

Jeff@Spartan

See less See more
#2 ·
Industrial fuel line clamps that didn't do a damn thing for my harmonic fuel line issue and got in the way of the heat shield....which is where Ricky proved to be handy! LOL

The turbo...

The turbo and Ricky texting.

No Limit elbow

No Limit elbow and cold side pipe

No Limit cold side pipe

No Limit intake elbow and the turbo

#3 ·
Looks killer jeff. Think thats next on my order list along with the pipe. Try and get a drive by vid of that whistle :) numbers look great as well.

#6 ·
Thanks! I will try and get some videos soon.

work with a stock downpipe?
Yes.

would you get it again or go for the tow powers?
It uses the stock VGT turbo with the same low pressure turbo that's in the Tow Power setup. I will add the larger VGT down the road when I add more fuel, but this setup works great with stock fuel. Quick spool up and little to no smoke depending on the tune.

#7 ·
right right i was talking with them last week and today cause im ordering a tranny from them and they said the tow powers work with stock fuel. just wonderin what made you go with just the 71 and not go all out and get the whole deal since you were already pulling the cab.... Just curious cause im getin the stage 4 trans with there HD converter and im thinkin i might as well make som more power for that EXPENSIVE trans to chew on! hope the trans is worth the money.
I guess my thought is if im gonna pull the cab i might as well go right to the tow powers... unless you guys see a reason not to.
No doubt the 71 is a hell of a nice upgrade at a nice price. i just dont wanna get power hungry in a few months and wish i had more..
Hard to beleave the stock fuel can keep up to tow powers and knock on 700 hp! very cool tho

#8 ·
right right i was talking with them last week and today cause im ordering a tranny from them and they said the tow powers work with stock fuel. just wonderin what made you go with just the 71 and not go all out and get the whole deal since you were already pulling the cab.... Just curious cause im getin the stage 4 trans with there HD converter and im thinkin i might as well make som more power for that EXPENSIVE trans to chew on! hope the trans is worth the money.
I guess my thought is if im gonna pull the cab i might as well go right to the tow powers... unless you guys see a reason not to.
No doubt the 71 is a hell of a nice upgrade at a nice price. i just dont wanna get power hungry in a few months and wish i wanted more..
Hard to beleave the stock fuel can keep up to tow powers and knock on 700 hp! very cool tho
I got the 71mm back in December when Elite did a 2 hour sale on them for $995. I couldn't afford the whole setup for $3k at the time, so I went with one turbo and got a damn good deal on it. I knew I would be pulling my cab again down the road to freshen up the gaskets, do valve springs and pushrods, hardened valve seats, and possibly more fuel. I'll add the 59mm VGT when I do that. No need for it now. My truck is smoke free, makes 55 psi of boost with our 310 tune, and will probably make 625-640 on the dyno on stock fuel (not much less than Tow Powers).

#9 ·
i see i see. yea the 71 is a nice middle spot. i myself would be worried about the rest of the stock motor such as springs and what not thats why im hear asking these ?s.
I have no plans of touching my fuel system or any other internals.
so im just gonna play on the safe side and get the 71mm and be happy with a 625hp truck and not try to push it with the tow powers!

#10 ·
Stock valve springs should be fine with Tow Powers. Back pressure wouldn't be an issue with stock fuel. My setup proves that as it is more restrictive than Tow Powers are. When I hit 56 psi of boost yesterday with the 310 tune, back pressure was only at 66 psi and that is the highest I have seen back pressure so far. I saw that high with the stock turbos, so I am not too worried about it. When I add fuel, I will add a wastegate, valve springs, push rods, etc. Until then, no worries.

#11 ·
well since i have the wastegate i really shouldnt have worries but i do.
Im just gonna just the 71mm and save the money. I feel like that 1700 extra isnt very well spent since im not gonna be doin any further upgades. ive convinced myself that i only need the 71 now!
Ill find other ways to have fun with that cash
Plus the dodge boys already cant keep up!! haha

#12 ·
Thanks for the review JEFF......the 71mm has been on my mind for a while and will be next on my list of parts. I will be doing the same thing as you and adding the 59mm later on. Some concrete numbers to look at is always nice......

Didnt see and I probably missed it......DO YOU HAVE THE AIRDOG UPGRADE???

#17 ·
No, my fuel bowl is still there.

Would u have to do studs with the 71mm turbo

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I would not run this turbo without studs.

Thanks for the review Jeff! Seems to look pretty good according to the numbers
No problem!

He has the airdog with the elite sdd on to go straight to the hpfp and bypass the fuel bowl
Nope. Fuel bowl is still in use on my truck.

#16 ·
He has the airdog with the elite sdd on to go straight to the hpfp and bypass the fuel bowl

#19 ·
Oh no kidding. My bad.

#22 ·
I'll see what I can do.

Has any thought been given to installing a batmowheel on the Elite 71? Wonder if that would add any more benefit of having the 71?
There is no batmowheel upgrade for the Elite atmosphere turbo. It uses a billet Precision Turbo wheel. I would be surprised if a 71mm batmowheel out flowed the Precision Turbo billet wheel that Elite uses.

#21 ·
Has any thought been given to installing a batmowheel on the Elite 71? Wonder if that would add any more benefit of having the 71?

#29 ·
Hey jeff, did you fix the issue with the filter minder?

#35 ·
Let me know what you come up with jeff. Ill try my s&b with no top when i get it installed. I wonder if fixing the tube in the fender well would help as well. It necks down in there.

#37 ·
I was going to take mine out but I think you would to take the washer fluid tank out and a bunch of other crap. The S&B has the hole in the bottom where that neck flows cold air into also. IDK

#55 ·
Sawzall the front opening of your S&B airbox to open it up, that worked on our truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.