Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

People w/ 8'' lift or upgrade to 8'' please help!

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  csmyj 
#1 · (Edited)
can someone please move this to 7.3 aftermarket...sorry noob mistake

hey guys
so my truck is a 2002 and it has a 6'' lift im looking to bump it up to a 8''. procomp makes an upgrade kit for the front which will add an aditional 2'' through shackles and hangers they also include sway bar ext and drop mount for driveshaft. was wondering if my truck already has a diffrent pitman arm for 6'' will i need a differ one for the additional 2 inches? pro comp says that all parts provided for upgrade but nothing about differ pitman arm. Also talked to susp guy and he said that on the rear i have an add a leaf and bigger blocks my blocks are like 5 3/4 - 6 and i believe the stock one is 2.5 correct? so on the rear he said i could go with a 8'' leaf kit and stock block or a 6'' leaf kit and a 4.5 block does this sound right? anyone who has upgraded please let me kno. Just want to make sure these would work right and also that the truck will sit level thanx tony

#2 ·
Is your track bar/pitman arm an adjustable aftermarket one or does your current lift have a bracket that drops down from the frame 6"?
Also there's no real reason to keep the sway bar on a 6"+ lifted leaf sprung truck. I ditched mine and never looked back.
That being said, the only think holding you back from doing a 100 dollar mini leaf pack from ebay is making sure you can center the front axle back up, via adjustable track bar.
I am also in the same boat and will be doing a Zone Offroad track bar and a 2.5" mini leaf pack from ebay to put mine at 8-8.5".

#3 ·
not sure if the trac bar is adjustable it might have a drop bracket it was aready lifted when i bought it but the pro comp kit for the front comes with everything to bump it up was just wondering if the pitman arm would have to be changed if only 2 more inches because it doesnt say anything about that and what spring/block set up i would need in back for 8 inch and to sit level

#4 ·
Yes you will need an adjustable track bar to center the axle back up. If I remember right, for every 2inches you go up, the axle will pull to one side 1 inch. So you will need an adjustable bar to "push" it back over 1"

Just go crawl under it and look. The track bar will either mount directly to the frame, or will be mounted to a drop bracket that is mounted to the frame.

#6 ·
its dark now but if there is a mount between the bar and frame then it is not adjustable?
and i will need an adjustable one?
Correct
does the stock bar have no adjustment nut on it?
No, it mounts solid on both ends,
so if mine does then it is adjustable?
If yours has a sleeve that can be moved, its adjustable
This should help some.

#8 ·
ok so i can use the same pitman arm for 6 or 8''? also i do have a drop bracket for the trac bar if i go with a 8'' drop bracket can u use the stock trac bar? also if i get an adj trac bar can u use it with the 8'' in the stock location or adj trac bar with a drop bracket? thanx

#9 ·
I did this exact thing. I went from 6'' to the 8'' procomp. I used my stock trac bar. The pitman arm for your 6'' will work w/the 8''. Your stock block in the rear is 2.5'' for a 250 & 3.5'' for the 350. A 1.5'' block comes in the upgraded 8'' kit. I didnt put that block in because I didnt want my truck to sit 1/2'' lower in the rear.

#14 ·
I had a 4" lift and the pitman arm is the same drop as my 8" lift kit now so your pitman arm will work. I have a 8" drop bracket on my truck now but when I lifted it up 3" more in the front to level it out it pulled my right front tire back. So we cut the trac bar and the axle poppe right back where it needed to be. Had to cut the wheel back and forth some to make sure. Then just welded in the gap that was left and haven't had any problems. As far as getting the front lifted up so more I just unbolted the front hangers took 2" thick square tube welded it to the frame then the hanger. Cheap easy lift if you can weld and have some square tubing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.