Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Questions on Shackel Lifts

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BMF7.3 
#1 ·
Thinking of going with a 4" shackel lift off of a parts truck (2000 CC SWB). I was wondering what draw backs there are with them. Will I loose ride towing or is there any other issues i should know about? Thanks. Also this kit will be going on a Late 99 CC LWB.

#2 ·
Never heard of a 4 inch shackle lift, I made my own leveling kit for the front. Just took some extra shackles, cut in welded them with some 1/2" square bar for bracing, done. The problem I can see if you go over board, is at some point your gonna start to have problems with the front end going side to side. You can only go so long before things are not aligned right and you have all kinds of problems with tire wear, shakes, vibrations.

Dan

#4 ·
Do you just have longer rear shackles (on front axle) or longer front and rear?
I've always heard if you just put longer rear shackles on, the front axle will shift forward slightly, twoards the bumper, thats why I ask.

#5 ·
You,ll gain a little caster in the front, makes it stear a little harder they claim and the wheel will go back to center faster is all. I have no problems with mine either, and it does not stear harder like many claim. Your not twisting it that much, you have to look at what your doing and you can see its not a big change.

Dan

#8 ·
The guy I got the truck off of said it has a 4" lift and it was a "shackel lift". It has to be a total of 4" lift just buy the looks of it. I just wanted to make sure it would fit and not loose towing or driving. The parts truck is a 00 CC SB F250 and im puting it on a Late 99 CC LB SWR F350.

#11 ·
Those look like 4" hangers and it should have come with those and a trackbar drop and pitman arm along with longer sway bar links. Take a picture of the trackbar bracket and pitman arm for us.

#12 ·
I,ve seen this done before, your just lowering the front axle and all the componets attacched to it. You would need longer end links and a drop braket for the pan hard bar like he said. Pit man arm wouldnt be a big issue, just need a longer link so the wheel stays centered. Not sure how it will drive though, doing it this way your eliminating axle wrap you would get with lift blocks. Kinda the resson you lift the back with them you need traction bars. the lift blocks increase the torque on the springs causing them to rap upward under hard exceration. I know a guy that took a lifted truck hit the barkes so hard it pulled the drive shaft apart at the carier from the axle wraping downward.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.