Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4 Link it or not and what shocks

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  KTM300 
#1 ·
Debating.. need new shocks and was going to go simple with 5100's.... as I get talking I end up WANTING more of course. And wanting to improve ride from my clapped out rancho's of 70K miles. So heres my two ideas: Help me out and give some hands on if its worth it or not. NOTE truck has newton leveling kit 2.5" spacers and 5.5" blocks in rear solid style with procomp bars.

1- Bilstein 5100's... call it a day

2- Bilstein 5160's!! WOOOO

3- Bilstein 5160's with Pure performance 4 Link arms in front, new adj track bar to eliminate my ghetto spacers to drop stock bar down. New 2.5" coils with progressive rate instead of spacers and stock springs. If I went this route I would end up with a new set of traction bars, get somethign more like PMF's or even newtons ones which mount much lower. The procomps are working fine but I could easily sell to buddy or just put them on my excursion for the hell of it.

So help me out.... price is great for all options figure RUFFLY 400 for option 1, 800 option 2, and 2300 or so for option 3 which is a big jump but need to know its beyond worth that in the ride quality.

Also how big a difference if I kept all stock and ran the 5100's or the 5160's is it going to be real noticeable and make me feel warma nd fuzzy inside haah

See less See more
#2 ·
The 5160 series are great shocks and Im certain you would notice a difference between them and the 5100 series. Also the mounting style and orientation should make for a longer lasting shock over the 5100 series especially in salty or raining locations.

Dual rate coils such as Carli or Icons will give a good increase in ride quality in the front end. A 3 or 4-link in the frontend would be a good upgrade and will help make sure you have proper castor which is key for good handling. I would recommend a 3-link for applications with 5" or less of lift. This is due to the ground clearance that is lost when a 4-link is installed.

If there is anything I can help with, just let me know!

#3 ·
I figure its a lot better and stronger for all my uses of the truck with the 4 link. As for deciding if the cost is worth it IDK. If I just stick to what I have I am sure the 5160's are great but I would just run 5100's and leave it all alone. If im going in, mine as well do it right. I didn't look at any 3 link setups.

Uses are plowing in winter, DD, tow light to heavy stuff occasionally, and a 1-2 time sled pull each year.

#5 ·
What size lift in 3link Jeff?

#6 ·
I say if your unsure, you can just get the 5160s and if you want a better ride after that keep on going with a 4 link and what not. I hope to get 5160s this spring. Hope to see some good reviews by then!

#9 ·
Can u post a link to the kit you are getting. I may just get the 5160's instead of 5100's. Then maybe save up to get progressive springs and a track bar to adjust. Later down line look into the 4 link arms I guess.

Shake -N- Bake

#18 ·
Anyone else? I'm to the point I might go all in or just buy the 5160's an that's it. I starttonwant the new coils, then I tell myself just get a track bar, then leads to even more.

I'm also getting a dual stabilizer w fox shocks so that is going to be great. With all I do with the truck should I just do shocks or go all in w coils 4 link all that. Not sure why I want to doit but I know it will be a nice ride. Nor do I plan to get rid of the truck any time figure just under 2700 I'll be all in. It is tax season haha.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#23 ·
The Pure Performance 4 link kits were redesigned last summer. The Pure Performance website has been updated for the 2.5", 4" and 6" lift heights. The 8" lift height products are being updated now. We also redesigned all of our coil springs to be progressive rate coils for better ride, more travel and over all better off-road ability.

JP

#25 ·
I am very confident in Trevor's kit. I like the fact that it is adjustable from stock height up to 7" and I have been given a review from a non-biased 3rd party that made me have full confidence in Trevor's parts.

Like I said, I haven't gotten the parts in yet and put them to the test, so I can't verify how well they will do. I know plenty of people who have used both 3-link and 4-link kits with great success. I know for a fact that they will stabilized the front end, which is the main reason I am going with the kit. My truck hates life launching above 18 psi at the track. I also have binding issues with my radius arms at the moment, which gives me another reason to go to the 3-link.

#26 ·
Has anyone seen the Rancho RS7000MT?

I guess it's new, and barely available yet.

They're a monotube shock, similar in specs to the Bilsteins, but with a zinc and clearcoat finish, so they'll stay looking good.

http://www.gorancho.com/shocks.php?shock=RS7000MT

Shockwarehouse.com has them for about $320 a set, at that price, I think I'm going to give them a shot next week.

Has to be an improvement over the stock shocks that have 50K+ on them right now.

Can anyone recommend a replacement steering stabilizer for a stock truck?

#29 ·
Appreciate the help. As much as I want it an not questioning the cost I just don't have as much benefit to say its helping. Rather hold off for now. Get the z5160's at least an good stabilizer. And still upgrade to better coils. Hopefully they are worth it but there not much money. I'm sure it's better than stock fx4 w spacers an 3 plow years on them until I got Timbrens

#33 ·
Actually still thinking! I did get some progressive rate coils from icon to ditch the spacers. Then 5160's which are still on garage shelf I plan to finally install this weekend. Pumped for that upgrade really.

Still thinking the 3 link seems worth it and why not haha.

#34 ·
Keep us posted on the 5160's? U mind me asking how much you paid? PM if thats cool.
I'm on the fence about shocks, I'm looking at about 880ish for pure performance and icons are over almost 1400 for their piggy back.
I ran some 5100's on my 02 and the rears were really stiff, wasn't impressed. BUT it was mentioned here by another that it took them about 1k miles for their bilsteins to break in.

#38 ·
trevor can you pm me a price on your 3 link kit and possibly post some pics of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.