Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

WTF 4X4?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  clp13294 
#1 ·
I kinda got disappointed today, we got about 2 1/4 inches of snow lastnight, and today there was still some light snow on the driveway when i went to pull up it, and the driveway is a pretty steep incline about 20 degrees anyway. I eased up it in first gear then starting losing it so i just hammered it and ended up going nowhere. so luckily my brother was with me and i asked him to hop out and lock the hubs, so he did, i through her in 4hi and i started to let the clutch out then started rolling a tad then it just lost it and slid backward. the truck has brand new Michelin tires on it...what am i missing? whats the point of 4wd if you cant make it up your own driveway...smh.

#3 ·
it was pretty hard pack snow but my dads 1500 dodge scooted up it like it was gravel. i was watching the driver side front tire when i was accelerating and it never spun once...what is it limited sleep? im no 4x4 guru.

#4 ·
dont take this as an insult, its not meant that way, but driver ability means everything. 4wd or 2wd, this storm we just got wasnt enough to stop a 7500+ lb truck.

go find a parking lot that hasnt been plowed yet and test out the 4wd and get used to how it reacts

i hardly ever put mine in 4wd(actually right now it has a 2wd trans in it)

#5 ·
lol i yeah i think it was because of how icy it was i mean i couldnt even idle without sliding on it...guess that would happen with any rig though.

#6 ·
Not if the dodge walked up it.
You say maually locked the hubs so it should have enguaged the 4wd.
Maybe see if your dad can do it nextime in your truck..
Ie driver skill or truck problem..limited slip helps

#7 ·
found my problem, my 4X4 isnt working at all. i got stuck in a sandpit today and had a friend watch the front of the truck while i accelerated with all 4X4 components engaged and the front tires never moved once, had to have my dad & his pesky 1500 pull me out..i hate when he has to do that:doh: how do i go about diagnosing this issue?

#8 ·
i'd climb under it and have someone work the shifter and watch the linkage, if looks like its moving maybe the chain in your t-case is broke. or maybe your front pinion is broke but not seazed up.. or you have two or one very striped lock outs..

#9 ·
I pulled the locking hubs out & neither of them were stripped but one had a ton of play in it and if i tipped it upside down id be afraid everything would all fall out of it because of how blown out it was & it looked like there was some shrapnel in there. And the passenger side didnt appear to be doing chit when you turned it to lock it, so im hoping this is my issue. I bought some new WARN hubs today in high hopes it will fix my problem, so i will install them tomorrow and reply back with my results. If this doesnt do it how do i go about diagnosing a transfer case failure to ensure thats the problem if nothing else?

#10 ·
Go to the knuckle and see how much play you have in the shaft by gently pulling it up. They should barely have any play. Had my front right go out and 4x4 is toast if one has play in it. Dan told me in one of my post it was my hubs I didnt listin and 2500 later I have new hubs and everything but axle shafts and chunck. But my hubs were bad.

#11 ·
The trucks allset. I installed the new WARN hubs and took it out to the pits and everything is working fine. Thankyou guys for all the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.