Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Interior swap/color change

121K views 176 replies 48 participants last post by  HookEmHorns7.3 
#1 ·
This is a thread that will show how i plan to convert my stock grey inerior from my 06 extended cab to black, with custom seat covers. Heres the list of what will get done, or atleast the plan

-All door panels, dash, a pillars, and all other plastics will get painted with OEM approved color bond paint (will look factory black, see test samples below)
-Head liner will be recovered using black suede
-Carpet will be replaced using new factory oem black carpet from ford
-Seat covers will be replaced with custom katzkin seat covers (going black leather with suede inserts, and double red stiching...not sure if i want to do black suede or red suede inserts...thoughts?)
-The interior will be completley rewired and customs switch panels installed
-Also debating to put down sound deadner matting

I started the project this weekend, by removing my factory interior (minus the dash for now) and also tested the colorbond product for color last week...

duplicolor interior paint on the left, color bond on the right (colorbond looks amazing and durable)

stock interior

See less See more
#2 ·
seats removed

out comes the carpet and headliner, as well as the pillars (wire mess!)

new driver seat?

start of my parts pile

plans for this week are to prep all the stock plastics, and start painting! hope to have my carpet ordered this week, and get the correct suede for the head liner (ordered some, but was to short of a piece)

#4 ·
Thinking about doing something similar with my truck. I don't care fore that darker gray that Ford put in these and would like to change it to black. Whats your plan for you steering wheel/airbag?

Thanks Rick

#10 ·
My steering wheel is actually black, so i will not need to do anything with that Being that i already changed all the interior LED's to red, the buttons now light up red along with all the other accessories in the cab.

as far as the dash goes, i will be removing all of the wood grain (somehow) and doing a viny. wrap as long as i can find the specific vinal i am looking for. I will also be removing the entire dash assembly and painting that as well.

#11 ·
Last nights progress. Last night i decided to start into the seats, and remove the covers from them. The back bench seats where a piece of cake. Once i removed all of the seat mounting brackets, the covers cam off nice and easy.

The front seat was a little more complicated than that. I removed the seat track on the bottom, then i had to dissconnect the seat heater cable, the pull the lumbar support knob off (which was a PIA) then removed the seat tilt handle, and cable from the track.

After i got that done, i dissconnected the harnesses under the seat, remove the side plastic trim, un bolted the seat belt bolts, and the hinge point bolts and seperated the back from the bottom of the seat. After that i removed the seatbelt trim on the top of the seat, and the arm rest, i then removed the cover from the back. After i got the cover off the back, i took a hammer and tapped the 2 plastic head rest holders out of the seat. once these were off, i was able to get the entire cover seperated from the back of the seat.

The bottom of the seat was a little easier, it was just held on with the plastic track clips that i just pryed up either by hand or a screwdriver. Being carefull not to pull the seat heater off, i removed the cover from the bottom.

Tonight i will try and get the driver side front seat done, and load the pictures....

i seem to have everything covered for the interior, with the exception of the seatbelts...i priced out new ones from ford and they are very expensive...anyone have another Idea?

Reactions: WESTWAY
#13 ·
Just got my new black factory carpet...and i must say well worth every peny....black looks awesome...holes are precut...and has the new padding. Only thing i will have to cut is a hole for my 4x4 lever which i am more than capable of doing, ..il post pics soon

also tonight i start paiting the plastics!
Ordered some dynomat to line the cab floor, ordered some wire, and new keypad switch for a custom switch set up. Expecting some snow this weekend, so hopefully il get some work done

#14 ·
Update and some pictures: Oem Carpet came in last week. Also i was able to remove all of the seat covers, headrests, and arm rests. I also removed the old grey fabric from the head liner, and i am expecting my suede to be in this week. I have been in touch with a company here in NJ who is going to do some hydrographics for me (everything wood grain will be dipped in red and black carbon fiber) I am also going to wrap the door switch bezles with black carbon fiber. I will be ordering my Katzkin covers today. I have also ordered some wire, and other components in order to get the wiring mess squared away in the cab. Here is some pictures of the progress
Pictures on the rear seats with the covers still on...and then the covers all off, and the pile of foam and parts.....

New Carpet...Dirty because i rolled it out on the floor and put the old one on top to see if the cuts lined up...Carpet is a perfect match to the stock one..well worth the extra money

Removing the old head liner fabric

fabric removed

Head liner fabric completley removed Little foam left behind in this picture, which i was able to remove with a wire brush

#16 ·
howd you get the old headliner off so cleanly? i did the liner on my old 98 f150 xcab and i had to us a putty knife all the way across the thing to get the foam off

#17 ·
Very carefully, took me over an hour and a lot of patients, I started at the corner worked my way accross the top edge of the head liner, then slowy started pealing it down, then once i had enough, i rolled up what was pealed and used it almost as a grab point to keep pulling the liner off evenly. Whenever the foam started to stick to the head board, i took the knife and carefully sliced where the foam and fabric met in order to keep it all together, then when i was done i took the wire brush and lightly scrubbed the remain foam left behind off..

#22 ·
I have had several conversations with the company im getting mine from, and when i was going through the order process page, they specifically asked if i had factory leather or cloth, i am not sure if this is for preperations to make adjustments, i have not actually ordered the new covers yet, i will most likely order them next week. I will keep you posted as to what i find

Do you have the part number for the carpeting. If so could you please post it. I too would like to replace with oem carpet. Like you i have heard horror stories about after market carpeting and it would be worth the cost of the oem carpeting. I went on the ford site and could not find it. Thanks in advance!!!
I will have to go back and look for a part number, but what i actually did was found a harley extended cab, and used the Vin number from that (found on ebay or an online site) and gave that to the dealer. From what they said it is actually an aftermarket company they get it from, but its the same carpet Ford uses in the harley davidson editions...You can see in the picture i posted above, the line up is a perfect fit...i think i may have to cut 2 holes out, which is obviously not a problem...i will warn you though, from what i am told this is not a cheap item.

#20 ·
Do you have the part number for the carpeting. If so could you please post it. I too would like to replace with oem carpet. Like you i have heard horror stories about after market carpeting and it would be worth the cost of the oem carpeting. I went on the ford site and could not find it. Thanks in advance!!!

#25 ·
update for the day, i will be removing the wood grain from the door panels today, and hopefully sending those pieces along with the upper dash out to the Hydro Graphics company, hoping for a 2 week turnaround time on that. Also i got my suede fabric in last night, hoping to get that laid onto the headliner tonight. Seat belts are ordered from ford, that completes tracking down all of the parts i need, the only thing i have left to do is start the paint, which i was going to do last week, but i still need to pull the upper dash out, so i put it on hold so i can paint everything at once, and order the katzkins. Il post some more pictures once i get the head liner re covered and the wood grain removed from the doors....

#26 ·
Heres a long awaited update!

After having to work on other projects for the past week and a half, i was finally able to tackle some more of this project. I ended up ordering the black harley davidon seat belts from ford as well (which cost entirly too much!) in order to make sure they would work in the seats. I was also able to remove all of the wood grain from the door panels by drilling out the plastic rivits. i will most likley use plastic weld in order to put them back. As i stated, i have a special plan for all of the wood grain, i am sending that out hopefully this week, where i plan to have a custom touch added to it from a specialty company..il post more when i get the pieces back (about 2 weeks or so) I still need to pull the upper dash out of the truck, and that is on the agenda for this weekend, along with fatmat sound deadner, and a revamp of all my wiring...going to be a busy weekend.

Now for the progress: I was able to get into the spray booth yesterday after work, and we cleaned/dyed/sprayed all the grey plastics that i have removed from the truck (only things left will be the upper dash, glove box, air bag cover, and console lid) All the door panels were sprayed, seat backs, trim, a pillars ect....These things came out amazing! i could not be happier with the product i chose to go with.

#27 ·
majority of the factory grey plastics befor prep and paint

we cleaned all the parts with lacquer thinner, manufacturer recomeds alcohol, but after seeing the results with the lacquer thinner, it made more sense being that we were going to be covering the panels any way. (i would not recoommend this method if your are just cleaning panels, while it will get all of the grit and grime off, it will dull the plastic a little) it did not melt any of the plastics, some of the finer pieces like handles and such we were very careful because we noticed it did get a little tacky, but a wipe with the thinner then right to soap and water did the trick just fine!

here is some of the parts after being cleaned

driver side and passenger side sill plates, top on befor cleaning, bottome one after cleaning

another befor and after cleaning

let the spraying begin!

some pieces finished!

a befor and after of the upper door panels for the rear

final product

pillar pod, handles, seat belt covers, misc trim pieces

stack of parts all done

as i said this stuff is amazing, these pictures really do not do it justice...this stuff looks better than factory. Im very excited to get it installed, but still have a long way to go yet!

#28 ·
Impressive!! Stuff is coming out great!!
Can't wait to see it back together

#31 ·
Looks awesome, love the progress!!!

If you don't mind who did you end up using for a hydrographics company? I just wish I could find something more local than Texas to send my stuff out too.

#32 ·
Saturday i was able to finally get the remainder of the dash out of the truck, and finally be able to tackle the mess of wiring that i had....Thanks to my brother, we are going to rewire everything in order to clean everything up, as well as make some adjustments to the set up and relocate some switches, the methanol controller, and a few other items...I was also able to get started on the sound deading, which i ended up going with Fatmat. Although i only got a few strips down, it looks nice..but time consuming....

decided to remove the air bags just to be careful..also anyone doing this make sure you disconnect the battery

dash was a PIA to remove, there was a few screws that where hidden and took some time to find, however i was able to just remove the plastic cover without having to remove the entire frame and duct for the heat and a/c

my mess of wires

fatmat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.