Companion flange replacement for rear diff. yoke... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Ramblin'_Man
Hoosier daddy!
Member's Gallery

Companion flange replacement for rear diff. yoke...

Ok, I'm serious about getting the rear yoke off my truck and either putting in one of those yokes that uses u-bolts to hold the u-joint or possibly a companion flange setup. Jesse at High Angle Drive has the companion flange setup for 149.00 and the Yoke setup for $200(This is because of Ford's price on the Yoke, not his pricing)... I like the idea of the companion flange, but he said it comes with a crush sleeve and probably will need to be installed by a tranny shop etc... My question is, how do I install such a sleeve and how does one pre-load the gear? I want to learn how to do this stuff myself, for crying out loud I've torn into every other part of my truck why not the differential... If there is a good write-up somewhere that I could educate myself with, that would be great... Otherwise, your input and comments are welcomed and wanted...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
rebelchevy02
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Companion flange replacement for rear diff. yoke...

Before you get another crush sleeve, you should call Steve, at Differential Engineering, in Winterhaven, florida. 863 294 7602. Hes not a sponser, hes not on the computer etc. His website is near useless, but I assure you they are not. He has a crush sleeve eliminator shim setup, for our trucks. Mine has it, and he put it in, when he built my setup. With this, the crush sleeve is no longer EVER a problem again. You can also take a yoke on and off as many times as you want also, just make sure its tight when you put it back on, dont have to worry about backlash setting, once you have the shim pack setup correctly.

EDIT: heres a link to his near useless (IMO anyways) site. Haha its a picture with his number. http://differentialeng.com/
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
rebelchevy02
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

And the best writeup Ive seen comes from yukon gear at http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf

Pay close attention to setting pinion preload and backlash.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Ramblin'_Man
Hoosier daddy!
Member's Gallery

Thanks guys. I have a flange on the way from Jesse... Sounds like a real nice guy and is great to talk to! I'm happy with my purchase already and I don't even have the part! I also printed out enough info on differential repair that I should be an expert by the time I get the flange... Either way, it should be a good learning experience.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Keep Jesse's number, and don't be scared to call him.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Ramblin'_Man
Hoosier daddy!
Member's Gallery

Thanks Andy...

It's always a good thing to have a contact that is willing to help you through stuff you're trying for the first time.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Charles
Banned
Member's Gallery

What size joint is available in the companion flange?

I have often wanted to upsize to a 1400 sized joint. Especially when I was melting the rear joint about every other weekend towing for a while there.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Not to derail here but how hard is it to change the seal that that goes in there? On the rear axle where the yoke goes in. The one on the SD is leaking slightly.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
rebelchevy02
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What size joint is available in the companion flange?

I have often wanted to upsize to a 1400 sized joint. Especially when I was melting the rear joint about every other weekend towing for a while there.
My yoke is a 1410 series. Its OEM aswell. 2002 f250 is what mine is, however, I do not have the double cardigan on the front of the driveshaft, our early 99 does though. Mine just uses a single u joint at both ends. And its all OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
Not to derail here but how hard is it to change the seal that that goes in there? On the rear axle where the yoke goes in. The one on the SD is leaking slightly.
You need to pull the yoke, then its like replaceing a normal oil seal. If your seal is leaking, you should really look closely at the bearings. Ive seen many times were on the sterlings, people one week say their pinion was leaking, then two weeks later, they had to get new bearings done anyways.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
You need to pull the yoke, then its like replaceing a normal oil seal. If your seal is leaking, you should really look closely at the bearings. Ive seen many times were on the sterlings, people one week say their pinion was leaking, then two weeks later, they had to get new bearings done anyways.
I'll have to check the paper work but I think we had the berrings replaced almost a year & a half ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 52
04La4iat, 2000XLifted, 505yam, 99F250Smitty, Arisley, badluck_early99, BigBlackSooter00, bigd4me2, bigredneck, birddog55, Bobs 7.3, ccf350stroker, cemeyer, Charles, Dantheman, Deputydog, DIRTBIKEZ, Doakster, fastorange05, fishslayer, FleetMan, genuineford, Green037.3, Haul_n_horses2, JAKE, JLDickmon, jvlak, KliffBar, MASMOKE, mattrac, merlinnilrem, np205, Peroni, racehauler, Ramblin'_Man, rebelchevy02, reyn7.3, rusty1161, SD01WD, seahunt411, skylinedan, slowleak, SmokeWagon, snowman600, SuperD02, Tom S, Torque37, TXstroker01, tysonxj, UNCOOL, vapstroke