Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Manual hubs

952 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  skylinedan 
#1 ·
Hey, anyone keeping their right hub locked then when they need 4 wheel they just lock the left up and go ? I know years a go people would do that just to be lazy and not have to walk all the way around the truck, LOL. I put a set of Warns on mine today, dont have any snow yet, but its coming.

Dan

#2 ·
I actually just unlocked mine today. My warns have been locked in for a couple weeks. I forgot about em and even took a 100 mile trip on the highway and no vibrations or anything.

#3 ·
See any difference in millage ? I figure if the front is not turmig less wear n tear on the internals. Jeeps have full time front engaugement, all your doing is kicking the T case in and out of 4 wheel with those. I know with most of our trucks you can feel when its in 4 wheel, but if the hubs are locked and the T case is in 2 wheel I would expect it to feel more like 2 wheel with auto hubs. At any rate I dont mind having to lock them when I need it.

Dan

#4 ·
yeh I did notice a drop in milage this past tank and was thinking it was because the temps got a little colder out. Now I'm wondering if it was due to the hubs being locked in. I believe the dodges stay locked in as well . At least the second gens did I know. You would be surprised how many super dutys are driving around with there stock hubs locked in. Once the vaccuum system develops leaks they don't always disengage and since there is no unlock on the stock lockouts they stay locked in. I always like to look when I have a superduty behind me and sometimes you will see one of the axle shafts spinning going down the road. My old stock lockouts would not disengage on my 99 and I replaced them with warns. On my 99 I could feel when the lockouts were engaged and turning tight but on the 04 You can't even tell. I figured with 290k on my 99 the front end was just wore and thats why I felt it.

#5 ·
Yeah that makes sence, I would expect a drop in millage, you have to look at the size of every thing your turning for no reason, it has to have an effect on it even with the kind of power we make theres gonna be a change. I have one good stock hub, the other burned up ( Not kiding ) pulled it and the plastic was melted, pulled the locking sleave right out. This all started when I changed my T case because of an issue, got it all done tried it out on the stands and no 4 wheel peel, looked up under the truck to find the shaft was turning but not the tires. I pulled the hubs figuring something had gone wrong, and I found it, LOL.

Dan

#7 ·
Car Quest, I have a buisness account where I work. I do most of my ordering on line so I can see what they sell with out calling and wasting time explaining what I want , LOL. I looked on fle Bay, found a guy in Kentucky has them for 169, but I dint want to wait so I got a set from them for 225. Had them in stock so there was no waiting. I went witht he standard one, not the premos. mine will spend most of their lives being free, but if I need it I know I,ll have it. far as keeping them freed up just have to check them from time to time is all. And I know what you mean about the stocker freezing up. Mine didnt turn at all chanel locks or not so if the auto failed its was 2 wheel peel time.

Dan

#8 ·
The days are numbered on my stockers for sure, have been doing some shopping around.

I have been waiting to cross paths with you, can't be hard noticing a orange superduty in the area.

#9 ·
LOl, yeah the only one on the planet. Its not just orange, its Orange, green metalic, pearl. In the sun its pretty cool looking, and you dont even want to know what it would cost to do it, LOL. The hours involved doing it was the big thing, I,ve got close to 150. I just wanted something different, I had a 1980 mustang I restored years ago, painted it a solid orange. WIsh I still had that car, it was really cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.