2000 7.3 Hard start HELP!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 AM
RLSCOAL
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

2000 7.3 Hard start HELP!!!

I have a 2000 7.3 with a hard start issue

first off just got the truck and it did not want to start with out being plugged in at first now since I have changed out the old batteries and the 15w40 oil to 5w40 it starts better with out the block heater but long cranks. swapped number 7 and 8 injectors and new orings because the previous owner had them in wrong. since then the truck runs great and idles good. until i found a fuel leak causing the truck to suck air in the fuel. repaired that on the filter drain still haveing problems with it starting long cranks and will not fire. I have had the common cps symptoms stalls after start and them fires right back up skips once in awhile i say that because the tach moves but not over 500rpm more like 350 or 400 rpm but some times while cranking the tach will go over 500rpm not for long though. i get black smoke while cranking and I can feel the injectors firing as the truck shakes and almost fires. it will fire with a sniff of ether and will start again with out ether for the rest of the day but i don't want to keep doing that! I know its bad for it!!!! I know my gpr and gp's are good I have checked them and the voltages are around 10v

Please help I need this truck to be dependable Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Dieselpop
Intelligent Burro
Member's Gallery

Re: 2000 7.3 Hard start HELP!!!

I see in your post that you have checked voltage for GP's, but have you checked the resistance of each plug? They can be checked by reading ohms from the negative battery post to the connector going under valve covers (two front pins and two rear pins). If my memory is right (and its not that reliable anymore) they should read about 2 ohms. I had starting problems last year, when I checked I had five bad glow plugs. What a difference that made.
E99, F250, 7.3, CCLWB, Auto, manual 4x4, AIS intake, AD injectors, PHP FU, AIC, 3:73 gears. Autometer Gauges - (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost), Edge CTS
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
super73
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

It sounds like typical injector stiction or sticky injectors on cold startups. If the outside temp is cooler in your area it would make sense for sure that your injectors are sticking cold, and especially if it runs ok warm. Another indication is slight black smoke and the engine trying to start or catching on a few cylinders when attempting to start. If it starts everytime better with the block heater plugged in I would almost bet your injectors are ready for replacement. How many miles on the truck? Temp outside? On a side not if the glow plug system is not working usually you will start to get white smoke on start ups. Good luck
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
BigDangFord
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

fill your hpop with seafoam once and also put some in the fueltank or even fuelbowl.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
birdog
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
birdog
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDangFord View Post
fill your hpop with seafoam once and also put some in the fueltank or even fuelbowl.
noway would i add any seafoam to the oil .... My concern it could reduce the oil viscosity among other things!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Fl Stroker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Yea Dump sand in the intake to polish your intake ports on the heads as well. That too will make it run better.

On a side note some injector cleaner in the tank might help with the build up in the injectors. One quart of Transmission fluid works too.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 PM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

trans fluid may leave deposits on the face of the valves. I fill the fuel bowl with seafoam, it gives the inj a good shot and the excess goes into the tank. has worked for me. NO seafoam in the hpop.
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 AM
RLSCOAL
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by super73 View Post
It sounds like typical injector stiction or sticky injectors on cold startups. If the outside temp is cooler in your area it would make sense for sure that your injectors are sticking cold, and especially if it runs ok warm. Another indication is slight black smoke and the engine trying to start or catching on a few cylinders when attempting to start. If it starts everytime better with the block heater plugged in I would almost bet your injectors are ready for replacement. How many miles on the truck? Temp outside? On a side not if the glow plug system is not working usually you will start to get white smoke on start ups. Good luck
Truck has 263xxxmiles it does run ok warm and i live in northern nh so the weather does get cold it does start better plugged in it was 30 degrees last night and the glow plugs are good checked them with a meter they all beeped dont remember the resistance but trust me they are good how do i go about checking to see which injectors are bad i have access to a scan tool at work other than that im stumped thanks for the help
Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM
super73
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

More often than not you end up replacing all eight injectors when you have a sticky injector concern and hard starting when cold. But one thing you can do with most scan tools is run a cylinder contribution test, this may help find which injectors are misfiring the worse when cold. Or performed injector buzz test and listen to what the injector solenoids sound like. ie: quiet, all sound the same, the louder they are the better the shape the injector is in. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 220
02bestroked, 1997 stroker, 2000 powerstroke7.3, 2dedge, 4SFED444, 5nakman, 6.9turbocharged, 61ford, 73stroke99, 87notch, 93whitese-r, 96'BigBlue, 96F350Kid, 96f350psd, 99turbo, 99WHITESTROKE, AaronL, Abbott, abbottfarms, adrenalinejunky81, ajfetterman, Alanna, altered65, ascrap2003, aurora 7.3, AustinRay, aviatorkev, Bar-m.cattle, Baxx, bhanger24, BIG-T, BigDangFord, bigjoe, BIGLARRYS03, bigt140, birdog, Blackcoyote, blackmagic, bolsen115, boostaddict, brandon.hovland, brantis99, browning7.3, Bubba22, B_burg3, cadd, CanadianPS, Capricious, Caster, cheprice, chunkdunker, claybuster, clp13294, cobrabc1993, CodyGraham, Cory151, cory99, cottonfarmer, Crazy Canuck, critter011, crossent, ctdiesel99, CTFFEMT, D2HP, dan-devries, darkside708, Dave_D, Deputydog, Desertdweller, dhpt99, Dieselboy740, Dieselpop, Diverhardhat, Donnief, Doolie, doublej112, DoubleTake, douglasharwood, Driles85, duner405, dustin_j, Dusty Trails, Elgin MGP, elkhunter92, farmboy8201, Farmerfreddy, firefighter, Fl Stroker, flmeade, flogrown80, Freshmeat, frosty111-000, Garrett, Garth Brooks, Gary T 51, griffin6997, hanks881, Hawkshaw, HD Rider, heinera, Hi-psi, Hoss1997, Insaneba, isak, iwearpro, jazes4, jbarlow15, jcc01, jeremyroff, jerrid, Jgman141, jimmyducati, jmac, JoJo, Jon-joN, Jp667, jughead, juvenile9, jwchurch, kampinguru, Kgaeta92, kilapapipa, Kmitz05, KPSquared, leojr, lep, lght1, lilgreen97tj, little red rig, MacDinho, machete31, markyt, Matikus, mcclure518, MDAWG, mdr3crane, mebarsh, metalphd, Mike96ZJ, mildot, mjcolemn, mostlystock, Mr.B, mrboylston, mtgrease, nathanc7.3, Nitro41, NotMatt, no_pistons7, Obspsd7.3, ole_blu, ollie218, phercinger, pilot4life, pooter, powersmoker73, PowerstrokeMudder82, PowerStrokingMachine, ProF100, PSD POWER007, psd77066, PSDEng, PSDmonk, ptm22, quad143, R341, racer0121, ralph, Rambler, range91, rdstud60, REDTHUNDER, riverboy460, Rixster, RLSCOAL, Rockcrusher, ruffneck7.3, rustykey, Rwtrower, scrapperdude, secjr1, sgh, sho669, simpleman, smith7.3, smokinstroker92, sneaky09, southmike, StangRacer, steinerr, STROKENPA, Stroker02, Stroker96, strokin603, super73, superdurty99, survivor, SWVa, tbolt, Tbrown312, TeZmonster, thecabinetguy, thecrazyhorse, theharveys, theoriginalBlackStroker, thumpertrev, TPeqJR, troy73, twallin, Unklhuck, victorcharlie, wabassguy, whitestroker97, wicked027.3, withrow, Wizzard of Odds, wrtobin4, xxxbrutusxxx, Zazoos