Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

air dog II problems

7K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Work&Play 
#1 ·
I have a air dog II 165 that I have had for 4 months and gone through two motors today my second motor. The motors both start blowing fuses after running about a min. Pureflow is sending me out my third motor. My question is why are they doing this? I checked all the wiring and all is perfect but I pulled off the return side hose on the ad and its not pushing hardly any fuel down the return back to the tank. Now the rerun from the motor works great. The "h" pipe got me when I disconnected the ad return from it. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
Blowing fuses? Are you using a relay? Some guys have had problems with AD2's some don't, I personally have had zero problems with mine. I do however use a fuel sump. I found the "no tank drop" sump so much easier to install and has not leaked a drop even with all the back country roads I drive. Fuel sumps

#5 ·
Which magazine?

#4 ·
Yea I am getting ready to do one on mine here in a little bit. The sump definitely seems like the way to go.

#9 ·
I personally would use heavier gauge wiring to power the AD then what is supplied with the kit. It's possible that may be your problem.

#8 ·
Yes the sump does aid the feeding of the AD and it does go on the bottom of the tank.

#10 ·
I was just looking at that sump and that brings me to some more points. Its an Fx4 with skid plates. Well I don't off road but I do plow so I would like to be able to keep the skids. How do most people run the return on the 6.0 the directions say to use the factory return. I see dodge guys use the fill neck

#12 ·
When I installed the sump on my Ex I just cut a hole that was a little bit bigger then the sump in the skid plate. Yes, just use a heavier power and ground. On mine I ran the ground to the frame right by the pump and then put blue silicon glue where the wire is bolted to the frame, on both ends of the bolt.

#13 ·
The return from the AD I just hooked up to the now unused OEM fuel pickup line. It was just much simpler for me to do mine that way.

#15 ·
When I turn the key to the On position I can hear it a little, once the engine is running no.

#17 ·
Do you have a fuel sump installed?

#18 ·
Are you guys having AD problems running a RR too? If so how do you have your AD set, pressure wise?

#19 ·
Part of the issue is that the AD2 isn't meant to pull fuel up hill out of the tank. It is only meant to push fuel. The guys that are running the sumps aren't running into the issue as much because the have the weight of the fuel and gravity on their side. When the pump has to "draw" it uphill through a straw, it puts too much load on the motor (of the AD2) and burns it up. Add a sump, and the larger wires won't necessarily help, because the limiting factor on that is the wires coming out of the AD2. I personally have gone through 3 AD2 motors before putting a TSD sump on and since then I haven't replaced one in 8 months.

#20 ·
Three pumps before putting in a sump? Are you a slow learner? :) Just kidding. FASS, Air Dog and the few copy cats out there ALL supply installation kits that suck thru a straw and they say everything will live happy-forever-after.......NOT.

#21 ·
FASS, Air Dog and the few copy cats out there ALL supply installation kits that suck thru a straw and they say everything will live happy-forever-after.......NOT.
Exactly. Just like Ford said there is no issues with the 6.0!!!

#23 ·
#24 ·
XDP Sump

Thats the one I just bought

#26 ·
I built a new wire harness for mine and it made a big difference in the way it runs.
I just ran a 10 gauge wire from the battery to a relay and the to the Airdog.
Then I ran a 10 gauge ground right to the frame right next to the pump.

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.