Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

front end popping

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  07_powerstroke 
#1 ·
My 04 ford f250 gasser has just started making a popping or clunking noise ecpesially while turning. I belive the ball joints have 10,000 miles or so on them. I also noticed the drivers side has oil coming out of the axle tube. Everything seems tight any sugestions? The milage on the truck is around 40,000 if the matters...

#3 ·
If it was a balljoint or unit bearing you should see signs of it in the way the tires are wearing. Balljoints are fairly new but it couldnt hurt to check the unit bearings. Youre gonna have to remove the axle shafts & gears to fix that diff seal (thats where the oil is coming from), so thats a good time to inspect the unit bearings & your ujoints. The popping, does it only happen in turns or does it happen in bumps too? Its probably a swaybar or track bar bushing. A worn ujoint in the axle will make that sound too, but unless your hubs are stuck in the locked position, the shafts shouldnt be spinning, so they shouldnt make any noise. But youll have them out when you change the diff seal, so you might as well inspect/replace them while youre there.

#6 ·
my guess is axle u-joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.