Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Warn Hubs

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  manvan 
#1 ·
My truck has the warn Premium Hubs on it. Will the auto 4 wheel drive still work? Thought I read some were that when the Warn hubs are installed the Vacuum engage will not work any more? If true this raises a concern for me because most of my towing is done in the winter (snowmobiling) and we get a lot of different road conditions were i need to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive on the fly. Any Info would be great!!

#3 ·
I've got the switch on the Dash for 4wd selection. I was told that with the stock hubs It vacuum locks the hubs. Don't know if that's true with the Warn hubs

#4 ·
I don't believe the warn hubs are vacuum operated, but you could always lock them before your trip or at a point where you are pretty sure you'll need 4x4 and then just use the switch as you see fit for engaging the T-case.

#7 ·
Warns need to be locked.

Drove in the locked position all winter last year because one of my factory auto hubs wasn't working. Replaced them with warns.

Locked mine a couple weeks ago and won't unlock them until til spring or a prolonged warm spell. Haven't noticed any difference in mileage. IMHO you're better off with the warns.

#8 ·
Think that's what I'm gonna do! Don't wanna get caught with my pants down pullin the sleds if the roads get bad!

#9 ·
I expect yours, like mine, came from the Louavul Ford Truck plant with "ESOF," the automatic hubs that would [when new] engage when you flipped the dash switch from 2wd to 4wd. Unfortunately, lubing the auto hubs is regularly overlooked maintenance and the auto hubs a regular 'fail' item on these trucks. That's why folks convert to WARN manual hubs - which you must manually twist to engage ['lock'] at the hub. Done to my truck just before I bought it. Then you shift 4wd [engaging the transfer case] from the dash switch. You do need to 'plug' the vacuum lines at the solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment, or possibly suffer heat/a/c consequences when in 4wd [so I'm told]. Once 'WARN'd,' the vacuum lines to the front hubs are mere decoration .....

#11 ·
just FYI the OEM PVH auto Hubs are also WARN and don't require regular maintenance
but a little grease every once in a while never hurts (see the pdf below for the Warn description )

Guzzles page (google it) has a few tips that are mostly the same just the older style hub )

manvan if your having vacuum problems make sure the lines to your axles are plugged or even plug it before it goes into the hub actuator valve on the fender

the ESOF transfer case activation is all electronic

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks guys, going with leaving the hubs locked for the winter, Havent done anything with the vacuum lines yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.