Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Billet Converter require billet input shaft?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  09F350rmk 
#1 ·
I was talking to a guy recently who had a couple built powerstrokes and seemed pretty knowledgeable. I told him I was considering a triple disc billet converter in the spring. He recommended installing a billet input shaft at the same time because if the stock shaft broke off in the converter it would be ruined. My question is what kind of power do the stock input shafts hold up to? I see myself eventually getting into the mid 400's rwhp range, but wont be going further as i never plan to touch the bottom end.

Im mainly wondering because in the spring I will be doing a budget project consisting of converter, valvebody, and cooler. Also I'm considering the triple disc billet converter from RacerX for $775. Anyone have any experience or know of another converter for a good price? Thanks.

#2 ·
Really depends on how you plan to drive it. If your standing on the brakes to build ten pounds of boost to race someone out of the 7-11 parking lot, then you'll need the billet shaft. Otherwise save your money. Banks Engineering has a nice convertor.

#5 ·
I imagine your 6.4 with tune & exhaust is making as much or more power than I plan to since Im never planning to go into the bottom end of the motor. So 450-475 rwhp range will be what Im looking for. When the tranny goes out down the road I will do an internal performance rebuild but for now I'm doing a few things to make the tranny a little stronger. Right now it works perfect.

#4 ·
The truck is a daily driver, so 95% of the time its just chugging along. But I do want it to hold up when I decide to play some. Can any power level break one? Just wondering if I should spend the $250 now or I can wait till I do a full rebuild one day...

#8 ·
I've only been in the powerstroke world a few months so I'm basically looking for info on how common 7.3's break inputs. I only read of one so far and it was a stock fuel truck that broke several stock shafts so I think it had other issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.